Should levels be dropping quicker?

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed type 2 six weeks ago. Attempting to control with diet and exercise. No drugs as yet. Doc wants to re-test in another 6 weeks. Have gone low-carb, no bread, Rice, pasta, cereals, high sugar fruits or veggies etc. Plenty of high fats and protein and going regularly to the gym. Have lost over 10 lbs but my blood glucose levels are only slightly shifting downwards - the weekly average isn't moving much at all. Wondering if it just takes time to kick in or if I'm doing something wrong! Am testing before and after meals as suggested. Help!
Charlie x x x

Reactions: Looseboy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you are on the right track, but your metabolism needs to sort itself out - which takes time. Try to be patient and stick with the low carb foods. I saw a gradual decrease over weeks, then began to get more wobbles, deeper dips, fewer high numbers, but it took 6 months to really see changes.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Diagnosed type 2 six weeks ago. Attempting to control with diet and exercise. No drugs as yet. Doc wants to re-test in another 6 weeks. Have gone low-carb, no bread, Rice, pasta, cereals, high sugar fruits or veggies etc. Plenty of high fats and protein and going regularly to the gym. Have lost over 10 lbs but my blood glucose levels are only slightly shifting downwards - the weekly average isn't moving much at all. Wondering if it just takes time to kick in or if I'm doing something wrong! Am testing before and after meals as suggested. Help!
Charlie x x x

Hi Charlie.

I control my blood sugar through diet alone. I came off Gliclazide after the first few weeks over two years ago to see how I would manage without meds...only way to tell really. I stopped all the usual stuff (things you have mentioned) and pretty much got around to not eating anything that was much more than 10g carb per 100g...then down to under 30g of carbs a day. While I could immediately see what a bit of bread did to my blood sugar (spiked it up to around 16mmols or so some 3 hours after eating), it took a bit longer to see the average come down to almost normal levels. After a couple of months the difference was clear. I recorded everything times, food, other meds, readings before and 2 hours after to inform myself. You don't actually say what your blood sugar levels are...so hard to see if you have long way to go or not. I never had a weight issue..so I don't need to consider that really. One very big difference - I am physically bone idle when it comes to exercise. I have noticed that my levels can increase depending on if and when I exercise. People seem to differ on that - before eating or after eating. I'd suggest checking levels before and maybe an hour or two after exercise too...just for a short time to see if there are any patterns. Note that protein, if you consume a lot, can also have that same negative increasing effect. Double check labels to be certain there isn't something higher in carb than you think. Also be sure to take in plenty of fluid. Anyway, i test myself way way less now and don't record anything now as I have figured out what's what for me. I am also less rigid with my diet because I managed to get things down pretty well ..but I'm not complacent either. Just stick at it, keep notes, look for patterns, get used to what does it for you as an individual and what doesn't. I reckon you will star to to see the numbers drop soon enough. Good luck.

Reactions: Looseboy

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @charliebarker .. and welcome
Sounds as though you are doing everything right so far but, as other folk have said above, it takes some for your body to adjust and your numbers to stabilise.
You might find that intermittent fasting helps .. see the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum .. and the following Diet Doctor websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds
This should give you the info you need about what (and what not) to eat on Low Carb
Hope this helps

Reactions: charliebarker

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be helpful if you provide some numbers on your Fasting and Post meal glucose.

Also what you typically eat that you considered to be low carb.

For some of us the numbers normalize pretty quickly...
14102513_1796499817261143_5218689255100165662_n.jpg

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good morning @charliebarker and welcome
This is a great forum to have joined, plenty of people with experiences and insight to share.

Your initial journey sounds very similar to mine( recently diagnosed in April) giving up the same sort of foods and getting stuck into exercise.

Good on you and well done . Rest assured your actions will be making a positive difference somewhere in your body.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @charliebarker and welcome,

You seem to be doing everything right as far as I can judge, and well done on the weightloss. Well done also on your proactive approach to this. :)

What sort of levels are you seeing before and after meals?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@charliebarker

Hello Charlie and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Charlie.

I control my blood sugar through diet alone. I came off Gliclazide after the first few weeks over two years ago to see how I would manage without meds...only way to tell really. I stopped all the usual stuff (things you have mentioned) and pretty much got around to not eating anything that was much more than 10g carb per 100g...then down to under 30g of carbs a day. While I could immediately see what a bit of bread did to my blood sugar (spiked it up to around 16mmols or so some 3 hours after eating), it took a bit longer to see the average come down to almost normal levels. After a couple of months the difference was clear. I recorded everything times, food, other meds, readings before and 2 hours after to inform myself. You don't actually say what your blood sugar levels are...so hard to see if you have long way to go or not. I never had a weight issue..so I don't need to consider that really. One very big difference - I am physically bone idle when it comes to exercise. I have noticed that my levels can increase depending on if and when I exercise. People seem to differ on that - before eating or after eating. I'd suggest checking levels before and maybe an hour or two after exercise too...just for a short time to see if there are any patterns. Note that protein, if you consume a lot, can also have that same negative increasing effect. Double check labels to be certain there isn't something higher in carb than you think. Also be sure to take in plenty of fluid. Anyway, i test myself way way less now and don't record anything now as I have figured out what's what for me. I am also less rigid with my diet because I managed to get things down pretty well ..but I'm not complacent either. Just stick at it, keep notes, look for patterns, get used to what does it for you as an individual and what doesn't. I reckon you will star to to see the numbers drop soon enough. Good luck.
Thanks, I have been recording everything! Including before and after exercise (levels drop quite semantically for a while). My basic levels are anything fromm 10-12 before meals and 9 ish after, and that hasn't changed in over three weeks!

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be helpful if you provide some numbers on your Fasting and Post meal glucose.

Thanks, I have been recording everything! Including before and after exercise (levels drop quite semantically for a while). My basic levels are anything fromm 10-12 before meals and 9 ish after, and that hasn't changed in over three weeks! Fasting level averages about 10 or 11

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you are on the right track, but your metabolism needs to sort itself out - which takes time. Try to be patient and stick with the low carb foods. I saw a gradual decrease over weeks, then began to get more wobbles, deeper dips, fewer high numbers, but it took 6 months to really see changes.
Thanks ! That's reassuring!

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to check what you are drinking as well. I stopped orange juice as it is high sugar. 10-12 does seem a bit high if you are eating low carb.

Mine dropped from 13 to 9.8 after 5 weeks, but I had only cut out high sugar items at this point. I then started to cut out all high carb food at this point and my fasting glucose levels dropped to around 6 after a few more weeks.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Typical day: breakfast Greek yoghurt handful of raspberries coffee with milk
Lunch: occasional apple, cheese, celery, couple of cherry tomatoes or avocado, lettuce green salad etc
Supper: chicken & veg or steak and green beans salmon and salad or green vegetables, or home-made soup (veg or tomato and cannellini bean). That's about it. Veg is low carb only (mainly green)
Sometimes nuts as a snack

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to check what you are drinking as well. I stopped orange juice as it is high sugar. 10-12 does seem a bit high if you are eating low carb.

Mine dropped from 13 to 9.8 after 5 weeks, but I had only cut out high sugar items at this point. I then started to cut out all high carb food at this point and my fasting glucose levels dropped to around 6 after a few more weeks.
Drinking two cups of coffee ( no sugar clealry!) per day and only water ! No juices or fizzy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would try a bit of intermittent fasting and eat in a 6 hour window. It's easiest to skip breakfast other than a drink as this extends the fast from evening meal to next day's lunch with 8 hours or longer in bed. If you get on OK with that you could try a 24 hour fast.

I also found that a Greek yogurt and berries for breakfast raised my levels all morning, impacting on my before lunch level. We have more insulin resistance in the mornings, so perhaps leave this food for a dessert later in the day, and maybe use double cream instead of yogurt to see if that helps. Once I stopped the berries and yogurt my morning levels improved, but once I stopped breakfast completely (just a coffee with cream) I have no rises at all in the mornings and my pre-lunch levels dropped significantly. I discovered I can't eat any fruit or carbs in a morning but I do need fat to stop the liver dump.

Try coffee with cream rather than milk.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the yoghurt and berries usually raises my levels by less than 2mmo/l which I thought was ok? - it's just the fasting rate I start at is too high ! I will have a look at missing breakfast entirely - although it goes against other things I've heard for general health.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the yoghurt and berries usually raises my levels by less than 2mmo/l which I thought was ok? - it's just the fasting rate I start at is too high ! I will have a look at missing breakfast entirely - although it goes against other things I've heard for general health.

The problem I found with the yogurt and berries wasn't that there was more than 2mmol/l rise at 2 hours as much as that rise stayed there, dropping only marginally after 3 hours or longer. I only discovered this after wearing a Libre sensor monitoring meter that gives readings every 15 minutes. My pre-lunch levels have now dropped significantly and I have no morning rises.

It is of course up to you, but I would give them a miss for now and experiment with either no breakfast food or a zero carb breakfast with enough fat to stop any liver dump. I have to have fat at breakfast, and no carbs. All you can do is experiment.

Why do you say fasting isn't good for general health? I will tag @bulkbiker who will tell you this isn't the case.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Charlie
Are you referring to the old wives tale that bfast is the most important meal of the day?
I haven't had any (apart from a week on hols where it was included in the hotel price) for the past 21 months and am still here.
I find that extended fasting is the best thing for lowering blood sugar level but this becomes far easier once you are really low carb and running on fat. You might not be quite there yet depending on your carb intake. I gave up bfast on diagnosis and went very low carb. I reckon the intermittent fasting (missing bfast in my case) combined with the diet really helped to lower my sugars. I aim for less than 20g of carbs per day. By not having breakfast and just eating salad and green veg this becomes much easier and I can even have low carb treats like Oppo ice cream and berries with double cream sometimes and remain under my target carb intake. Like everything else its up to you how "extreme" you want to be. I found it easier to try to avoid carbs rathe than limit my consumption but that's just me. There are others here who do things differently but for me it works!

Reactions: Fleegle