Should levels be dropping quicker?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The research shows that the same food eaten near bedtime results in more weight gain then eating them at breakfast.

But the normal breakfast is a lot higher in carbs and low in "the good stuff" then other meals, we are also "programmed" to spend a lot longer cooking dinner then breakfast.

I think the best option for most people would be a large enough high fat/protein breakfast and then skip dinner, but that does not fit in with how we live our lives..... Hence skipping breakfast is a good option for lot of people as it gives our body longer with a low level of self produced insulin.

My wife does not give me the option of skipping the cooking of dinner even if I was to decide not to eat it......... (She also often works until 8pm. hence eating late is common for us.)

Remember it is call breakfast for a reason, if you eat late at night, you have no fast to break! You could say that if you don't eat until lunch time, that your lunch is your breakfast.....

Reactions: Fleegle

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the yoghurt and berries usually raises my levels by less than 2mmo/l which I thought was ok? - it's just the fasting rate I start at is too high ! I will have a look at missing breakfast entirely - although it goes against other things I've heard for general health.
Welcome to the forum - was in your shoes 8 weeks ago now and I will just give you what I have learnt because I had the same reaction as you I think.

If I have learnt one thing above all else since being diagnosed, is that you need to re-think everything you have been told in the past and consider it again. For example - breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That may have been true before and may not have been true but your meter will tell you now for sure.

The list of things to reconsider may seem long at first - but the people on this forum will help you with their experience and then you can try some of these things out and see how it impacts you.

The things I have reconsidered are:-
Whole grains are good for you; You need some carbs; You need fruit and vegetables; 5 a day is a great idea; protein doesn't impact BG; fat is bad for you; drugs are good for you...

It all needs to be carefully unwound, understood and where appropriate to you - modified.

No way can I eat a breakfast of blueberries - but blueberries at tea are fine.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem I found with the yogurt and berries wasn't that there was more than 2mmol/l rise at 2 hours as much as that rise stayed there, dropping only marginally after 3 hours or longer. I only discovered this after wearing a Libre sensor monitoring meter that gives readings every 15 minutes. My pre-lunch levels have now dropped significantly and I have no morning rises.

It is of course up to you, but I would give them a miss for now and experiment with either no breakfast food or a zero carb breakfast with enough fat to stop any liver dump. I have to have fat at breakfast, and no carbs. All you can do is experiment.

Why do you say fasting isn't good for general health? I will tag @bulkbiker who will tell you this isn't the case.

Thanks - I will definitely try no breakfast as it's the most difficult meal for me to go carb free on. As for fasting being bad, maybe I'm thinking of the little and often advice I was given for GRD and I think the diabetes has trumped that now !

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - I will definitely try no breakfast as it's the most difficult meal for me to go carb free on. As for fasting being bad, maybe I'm thinking of the little and often advice I was given for GRD and I think the diabetes has trumped that now !
If you want to find out more about Type 2 and fasting check out Dr Jason Fung (that's the guy on the left in my avatar).
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

Reactions: charliebarker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum - was in your shoes 8 weeks ago now and I will just give you what I have learnt because I had the same reaction as you I think.

If I have learnt one thing above all else since being diagnosed, is that you need to re-think everything you have been told in the past and consider it again. For example - breakfast is the most important meal of the day. That may have been true before and may not have been true but your meter will tell you now for sure.

The list of things to reconsider may seem long at first - but the people on this forum will help you with their experience and then you can try some of these things out and see how it impacts you.

The things I have reconsidered are:-
Whole grains are good for you; You need some carbs; You need fruit and vegetables; 5 a day is a great idea; protein doesn't impact BG; fat is bad for you; drugs are good for you...

It all needs to be carefully unwound, understood and where appropriate to you - modified.

No way can I eat a breakfast of blueberries - but blueberries at tea are fine.
Thanks for your support - there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules - that's what makes it so tough. And also everyone has something different to say. I guess I'll have to try and work it all out myself with my trusty counter! Giving up smoking was so much easier!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Typical day: breakfast Greek yoghurt handful of raspberries coffee with milk
Lunch: occasional apple, cheese, celery, couple of cherry tomatoes or avocado, lettuce green salad etc
Supper: chicken & veg or steak and green beans salmon and salad or green vegetables, or home-made soup (veg or tomato and cannellini bean). That's about it. Veg is low carb only (mainly green)
Sometimes nuts as a snack

You meals definitely looks ok and generally on the right track, especially if blood glucose is lower after meals. As Dr Jason Fung puts it, if you have high fasting blood glucose, it simply means that you have a lot of excess glucose that needs to come out. So the liver is working hard to pump them out with it has the opportunity to.

As others have suggested, intermittent fasting may be helpfu. Depending on your lifestyle, skipping dinner or breakfast will help speed up the process. Personally I have found skipping dinner to be effective for me. But it is socially more disruptive because dinner is usually family time.

Reactions: charliebarker

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You meals definitely looks ok and generally on the right track, especially if blood glucose is lower after meals. As Dr Jason Fung puts it, if you have high fasting blood glucose, it simply means that you have a lot of excess glucose that needs to come out. So the liver is working hard to pump them out with it has the opportunity to.

As others have suggested, intermittent fasting may be helpfu. Depending on your lifestyle, skipping dinner or breakfast will help speed up the process. Personally I have found skipping dinner to be effective for me. But it is socially more disruptive because dinner is usually family time.

Thanks- have started to skip breakfast (easiest for me,as I was finding it difficult to find a good lowcarb breakfast that I could bear to eat in the morning. Number definately on the move down - still a way to go yet, but feeling more positive ! Thanks for the advice and support

Reactions: Bluetit1802