Shoulder & Neck Pain

seanie

Several years as a Type 2 Diabetic (medicated with Pills). Had a lot of neck and shoulder pain (always right side) over last 12-18 months. Had all the Xrays and scans where nothing shows. Doctor isnt particularly taking it further forward. The pain comes and goes some months and last usually a couple of weeks. Could put it down to Diabetes or maybe Computer work (posture). Not sure if any similar persons on here but desperate to establish if there are any self massage or other approaches I could take. Take enough pills with the Diabetes so dont want to continue popping 6-8 painkillers per day. Is there a battery operated massager or whatever I could but from the hight street?. Would like to share possible similar experiences to both ease the pain and drill down issue to see if it relates to diabetes. Making my life tiring and not enjoyable when this pain comes. Right now the pain is more neck than shoulder but could be different another week (more shoulder than neck) and always right side. If I could find a massager (high street) It may help get some sleep at nights. Help please. Am trying to convince doctor to get some physio checks but that seemingly may need for me to sign up private etc but that incurs cost that may be beyond my funds. So painful as if a muscle is trying to rip itself away from base of skull connection. Also triggers ear pain maybe as a side affect. Any help/advise so appreciated. Thankyou

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds absolutely awful, hope you get some answers soon :(

seanie

Please keep the suggestions coming (PLEASE). Yes was tested for frozen shoulder and had cortizone injection some months back but no better. My gut feel is that regularly seeing a physio may be a solution but costly. Just googling and see some mentions of TENS Machine; any infos on if this may be a route to follow?

seanie

Cant discount the statins and metformins I take but doctor stipulates I need them so have to follow another self fix route possibly.. thus the mention of neck massage device or whatever

seanie

Even though its excruciating pain when I try to turn my head (at moment pain is in neck) left to right/up down I HAVE ESTABLISHED that if i (or wife) press a finger firmly at certain positions at the site of the pain, then I can move the head with little pain but cant spend each day with this as a resolution. Does this relief mode give any indicators in terms of what it may be?

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I feel for you having had a frozen shoulder in the past.

Your pain may be related to the statins. If I was you, I would go back to the Dr. and ask if you could stop taking them for a couple of weeks to see if things improve. Did the pain start when you were first put on statins?

If he has been treating you for 12 -18 months with no solution then physio seems a reasonable option. Physio are very good and will always tell you if it is a waste of time. I would push for that too.
TENS machines can be used for relief but they are not a permanent solution. Have you tried a wheat pillow warmed up in the microwave or left in the freezer for a while? This is a cheaper option for pain relief.

Take care.
CC

Unbeliever

I totally agree with catherinecherub about the physio. It would be worth going just for the diagnosis.
I have known physios able to diagnose where ortho consultants could not. .
Make sure you see a "proprer" physio not the cheaper version. if it is something they can hep with
then You may welll be able to go back to your doctor and get him to refer you o your local hospital.

If you don't get the proper diagnosis you may well spend as much money on pain relief as the condition may last for a long time. I suffered for two years once because my doctor kept telling me it was a "touch of athritis" and to take paracetamol!
Unfortunately I was not able o follow it up because of other responsibiliyies and as I was not working at the time noone cared.
I hope you find some help soon. Shoulder pain is hell. Can't si comfortably, can't sleep etc.

Believe me seeing a physio just for an assessment is well worth it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
seanie said:
is their a web list of reputable regional physios

You shouldn't nee to go private seanie as your gp can refer you to one on the NHS, here the website for the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy:

http://www.csp.org.uk/

Unbeliever

Noblehead is quite righ as usual. I was assuming that waiting lists everywhere are as long as they are in my area.. This may not be the case at all..

Highinsteps

Dear seanie,
I put an alert in Google because I have frozen shoulder and now wonder if I have diabetes as it lead me to you and this site and It can be linked to diabetes. I don't seem to have all of the known symptoms though. Do you think you might have frozen shoulder coming? It does seems to pull the arm into the socket and that seems to tear at the neck and shoulder muscles. Just my theory

Like you I do have terrific pain of the neck and shoulders but both sides. You are right, computer work really does not help with neck and shoulder pain however properly you try to sit. Self massage doesn't seem to work because you will need your shoulder, arm and back muscles relaxed.

Can you ask a friend to gently massage those areas. My daughter does mine whilst I guide her verbally "up a bit" etc. I sit on a chair (clothes on ) and it really helps temporarily.

Do demand of your doctor a referral to a physio. Mine has been slow to send me to a consultant surgeon (due cut backs) and so I will have to go privately to a shoulder surgeon for 'manipulation under anaesthetic', but GPs always seem eager to refer me for physio.

Better still, see if you can see an osteopath, because they manipulate gently. My experience of NHS physios is that they are always in a hurry, they only manipulate/massage for a short time and then give you exercises to do at home. Google in NHS physio, osteopothy & Acupuncture - I am amazed to have found out that local to me they are asking for rerferalls to this new service and state that they have short waiting lists...I'm very pleased and can't wait to go and what's more, its free! :D
Battery operated massagers seem to inflame my neck and shoulder pain. Ten's might well help.
I get the ear pain too.

Try this: Lie on your back on the floor/mat. Feet on the floor and knees bent and relax. Cradle the back of your head with clasped fingers and gently lengthen your neck for a minute. Let go and stay relaxed for 5 mins. Do this 3 times a day. It works a treat for me but is temporary.
Get your GP referring for you. :p
I wish you well and do hope you get the right help and some good amount of pain relief.
Yours, Highinsteps.

seanie said:
Several years as a Type 2 Diabetic (medicated with Pills). Had a lot of neck and shoulder pain (always right side) over last 12-18 months. Had all the Xrays and scans where nothing shows. Doctor isnt particularly taking it further forward. The pain comes and goes some months and last usually a couple of weeks. Could put it down to Diabetes or maybe Computer work (posture). Not sure if any similar persons on here but desperate to establish if there are any self massage or other approaches I could take. Take enough pills with the Diabetes so dont want to continue popping 6-8 painkillers per day. Is there a battery operated massager or whatever I could but from the hight street?. Would like to share possible similar experiences to both ease the pain and drill down issue to see if it relates to diabetes. Making my life tiring and not enjoyable when this pain comes. Right now the pain is more neck than shoulder but could be different another week (more shoulder than neck) and always right side. If I could find a massager (high street) It may help get some sleep at nights. Help please. Am trying to convince doctor to get some physio checks but that seemingly may need for me to sign up private etc but that incurs cost that may be beyond my funds. So painful as if a muscle is trying to rip itself away from base of skull connection. Also triggers ear pain maybe as a side affect. Any help/advise so appreciated. Thankyou

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
Have any of you had a diagnosis for fybromyalgia, I was diagnosed as having fybromyalgia just after being diagnosed diabetic 2 years ago, despite having cortisone injections in both shoulders i still suffer with my right shoulder, its not as bad as it used to be.

sallyf

I have had this problem for more than 16years now. It originally started as occasional episodes which lasted a few months- Intense pain and restricted movement. Over time this became more frequent untill i was in constant discomfort and began suffering painful episodes which lasted upto a week every 4-8 weeks. During these period i could hardly do anything, i began getting headaches, pain in my arms and the pain would sometimes swap sides.

I consulted with my GP during the early stages of this problem. He dignosed frozen shoulder and prescribed painkillers which took the edge off but not wanting to have to resort the drugs in the long term i was reluctant to return thinking that i would have to learn to live with it. However when the problem became more frequent I became desperate. A friend recomended a chiropractor, so i saved up to pay for the treatments. The chiro has helped me alot. He said that my bones where moving out of place, your body tolerates a certain alot of movement but soft tissue becomes inflammed and causes the pain. He manipulated the bones back into place over a series of treatment. After each treatment the bones would eventually move out of place, we gradually lengthened the time between appointments. Two years on....I am now at the stage where i go for yearly check ups to for maintenance. The problem is not 100% better. I still have to be careful about my posture/sleeping positions etc and i have mild discomfort most days which is releaved with stretching (my favourite thing to do is lying back on a inflatable exercise ball for about 10minute every evening) .... but it has got to the stage that if i feel bones popping out of place i can usually put them back in myself throught stretching..if this doesn't work a big bear hug from my husband does the trick...
I hope that you have found a solution to your problem...
oh there is also physio videos of you tube that suggest exercises to improve posture and help with neck problems....this has also help me
take care
Sally

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
seanie said:

Try a hot water bottle. Watch your posture. I find for severe pain that a paracetomol/codeine pill really helps at the worst moments or to get to sleep.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seanie,

When you have the pain what are your sugar levels like?
I have had an identical pain for the last week and my levels have gone well crazy and I can't get my pre-meal levels anywhere near what they usually are.

Angie

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I've had a sore left shoulder/neck area for a few years and had it Xrayed and had physio. I think I have been protecting it subconsciously and stopping the healing process. I got good relief in a hot climate and swimming a lot last summer. I followed this up with regular gym sessions where I incorporated upper body wt training with the rest of my cardio work-out. I am ok most days now and seldom does it give me gip unless I stretch it.