Shower with Freestyle Libre sensor

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Is it okay to take shower with Freestyle Libre sensor?
Will it effect the adhesive leading to make it fall off?
Thanks

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there been using the Libre now for a number of months and have been showing bathing etc. No issues at all re falling off in fact quite the opposite I find that the sensor can be fairly difficult to remove at times. sticks very well to me so think there would be no issues but I have always ensured that I do not use soap or shampoo on the sensor.

MrVulcan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only on my third sensor, but with the two that I have removed so far I had to use a lot of force. I my case I had to force the glue to detach between the sensor and the "sticky pad". Only once the sensor was detached could I remove the sticky pad from the skin.

I am planing to go for a SPA treatment this weekend including sauna, hot tub, and floatation in a take with warm salt water. I'll let you know how it works out. Please let me know if you think that is a bad idea from a sensor point of view (not including that I need to keep track of my blood sugar so it does not drop).

Reactions: plantae

REM73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am only on my third sensor, but with the two that I have removed so far I had to use a lot of force. I my case I had to force the glue to detach between the sensor and the "sticky pad". Only once the sensor was detached could I remove the sticky pad from the skin.

I am planing to go for a SPA treatment this weekend including sauna, hot tub, and floatation in a take with warm salt water. I'll let you know how it works out. Please let me know if you think that is a bad idea from a sensor point of view (not including that I need to keep track of my blood sugar so it does not drop).

Hi there
Been using flash libre sensors for couple of months now. I seem to remember that they are not recommended for saunas and steam rooms. Maybe check on the website?
In terms of removal, I find if I smother it in moisturiser where it's in contact with skin for a minute or so then get in the shower it pops off rather nicely! Otherwise a fair amount of coaxing is required.
Hope that helps
Enjoy your spa day
R

Reactions: Bludnok and plantae

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I shower once or twice daily, and swim daily, and I've haven't yet had a problem with the adhesive. I've been using the system continuously for over a year, and so far, so stuck!

Shower without worry, @FuryG !

:)
I think "shower with fury" is more applicable here @Snapsy:D

Again @FuryG, absolutely no problem with swimming and showering. The only sensor I had "come off" was in a mosh pit at an Enter Shikari concert... Even then, it only came lose at one side and was still entirely functional:)

It was day 13/14 when the above occurred, but I've faith the sensor could have done another fortnight if required!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@MrVulcan I went on a spa day with mine - I covered the sensor with two large ordinary waterproof plasters, and I was massaged, and I swam and swam and jacuzzied and steamed and saunad. Didn't go in a flotation tank with it but wow, that sounds fab!

I didn't draw the massage therapist's attention to the plaster and what was under it. She didn't bat an eyelid. The sensor survived the experience although I have to say out of all of my sensors that one was by far the easiest to remove (the oil made the sticky less sticky).

I had my spa visit on the Thursday and started my next sensor on the Sunday, and it was absolutely fine for those couple of days after the spa.

To be honest I would probably want to schedule any spa-ing or massaging nearer to the end of the 14-day sensor life rather than the beginning (I don't like to be without a sensor, and can't afford to waste one!), but that said, I was happily surprised with how well it stood up to the pummelling and all of those hours steaming and swimming!

Enjoy the day!

Reactions: plantae and FuryG

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started with my Freestyle today and the rep that I got the unit from said within reason if the sensor does fall off towards the start of the 14 days and not through "unreasonable use" they will happily replace it if you call their customer care line. (you will need the serial number though of which the last sensor you used us saved in the memory)

• Informative
Reactions: plantae

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
which the last sensor you used us saved in the memory)
Cool, I didn't know the number was saved in the memory - that's really good to know!
I try to keep the peel-off for my current sensor's packaging - needless to say I now have stacks of them and rarely know which one is current!!

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have only showered once with it so far - I am usually concerned about showering with such things - not so much for the electronics but the hole in my skin.
But I managed to avoid that anxiety... I forgot I was wearing it.

...aaand forgot about it again this morning haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richmavdog

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had a bath yesterday (and a proper one at that with relaxing and all) and the sensor still seems solid as a rock... I am still skeptical about 14 days but so far I am very impressed all round (most of all with the glue ;))

tinyroman

Hello!
Thanks
Last week I got out of the shower and knocked the sensor on the edge of the door and it came completely off. Not sure if it was due to the adhesive being warm from the shower. I got no reply from an email sent to the company, so phoned them and they were very good about sending a replacement.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem. Finnish Sauna it doesn't stand for too long though - been tested a few times...

Reactions: Connie’s Dad

Ehab.aali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have dived to 10m with my freestyle sensor. I was expecting it to fail afterwards, luckily, it was working very well

jimmyt1988

If it helps - I've been going to sauna 2/3 times a week at 80 degrees for 15 minutes each time.

The sensor states its too hot to take a reading. I wait 5 - 15 minutes after and then it works again.

Take a manual blood tester during that time when it doesn't work.

Disclaimer - do this at your own risk, but works for me.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Libre 'training' said you should not keep the Libre submerged in water for more than 30 minutes at a time, take 10 mins to dry out and good to go again.

Never had a shower problem, and like most, when you want to remove it, it will have limpet super powers! Not sure if it's just superstitious but after applying, I always hold the applicator hard on my skin for 10 seconds before removing it from the sensor to make sure its well and truly stuck round the edges.

Shower-away to your heart's content!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Mrs HJG I was advised by DNS to hold the applicator in place for 15 seconds after applying the sensor, and then to run my finger round the edges of it to ensure it was well stuck on.

Reactions: plantae and Mrs HJG

DRainelle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there been using the Libre now for a number of months and have been showing bathing etc. No issues at all re falling off in fact quite the opposite I find that the sensor can be fairly difficult to remove at times. sticks very well to me so think there would be no issues but I have always ensured that I do not use soap or shampoo on the sensor.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mrs HJG I was advised by DNS to hold the applicator in place for 15 seconds after applying the sensor, and then to run my finger round the edges of it to ensure it was well stuck on.
Mine told me 30 seconds. It seems holding it in place ‘for a little while’ is the common consensus :)

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34