Sitagliptin

Absxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed with t2 in may. Have tried all the metformin types but none of them agreed with me and it culminating in an allergic reaction. So nurse put me on sitagliptin. Don't really know much about it and would like some advice from those that are on or who have tried it please. I don't seem to have any side effects and my blood sugar has been ok. Dr has told me I'm only slightly diabetic with a hb1ac of 52.

Reactions: 13lizanne

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was diagnosed with t2 in may. Have tried all the metformin types but none of them agreed with me and it culminating in an allergic reaction. So nurse put me on sitagliptin. Don't really know much about it and would like some advice from those that are on or who have tried it please. I don't seem to have any side effects and my blood sugar has been ok. Dr has told me I'm only slightly diabetic with a hb1ac of 52.
Sitagliptin is an anti-diabetic drug that works by increasing levels of natural substances called incretins. Incretins help to control blood sugar by increasing insulin release, especially after a meal. They also decrease the amount of sugar your liver makes- from the Web. I'm just on Metformin, but others will advise you.

Reactions: 13lizanne

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm on Sitagliptin but for a different reason than you.
It is called an inhibitor and changes the chemistry of the first insulin response by releasing more insulin to take care of the glucose produced by what you eat.
It helps you not to spike as high as you would normally do without the sitagliptin.
Because of the lower spike the drug works to lower your average fasting blood glucose levels.
You could also help the drug work until you don't need it by reducing your carbohydrate intake and exercising a litte bit more. Walking is a very good way of lowering blood glucose levels naturally. If you take a brisk walk (if able) for fifteen minutes after eating for fifteen minutes that will really help.

Best wishes

Reactions: Shas3

Absxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It is called an inhibitor and changes the chemistry of the first insulin response by releasing more insulin to take care of the glucose produced by what you eat.
It helps you not to spike as high as you would normally do without the sitagliptin.
Because of the lower spike the drug works to lower your average fasting blood glucose levels.
You could also help the drug work until you don't need it by reducing your carbohydrate intake and exercising a litte bit more. Walking is a very good way of lowering blood glucose levels naturally. If you take a brisk walk (if able) for fifteen minutes after eating for fifteen minutes that will really help.

Best wishes

Thank you

Reactions: Shas3 and Lamont D

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Best wishes
If it works by stimulating insulin release, do we know if it puts a strain on the pancreas beta cells?

B

badcat

It was suggested to me at one rime but I ended up declining it and sticking with gliclizide due to the increased risks of panreatic damage from sitagliptin

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was suggested to me at one rime but I ended up declining it and sticking with gliclizide due to the increased risks of panreatic damage from sitagliptin
Is gliclizide better in that respect?

B

badcat

From what I read, Sitagliptin carries increased risk of panreatitis and pancreatic cancer - I wasnt prepared to take that risk

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is gliclizide better in that respect?

Gliclazide can wear out the beta cells by putting too much strain on the pancreas to produce more and more insulin. The more insulin resistant you are, the more the Glic wants the pancreas to produce, and it is more than likely producing a lot of its own accord when IR is the problem. It is useful for those of us who don't produce enough insulin, but as we don't get the tests for insulin production, we don't know.

Reactions: Shas3 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gliclazide can wear out the beta cells by putting too much strain on the pancreas to produce more and more insulin. The more insulin resistant you are, the more the Glic wants the pancreas to produce, and it is more than likely producing a lot of its own accord when IR is the problem. It is useful for those of us who don't produce enough insulin, but as we don't get the tests for insulin production, we don't know.
Thanks.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
From what I read, Sitagliptin carries increased risk of panreatitis and pancreatic cancer - I wasnt prepared to take that risk
You are more likely to suffer more from the glicizide than the sitagliptin, which proportionally the side effects are very small.
Every drug carriers a risk, some work well, some don't.
I cannot take a lot of meds, but I seem fine on Sitagliptin.
But I use the drug for different reasons than you do.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If it works by stimulating insulin release, do we know if it puts a strain on the pancreas beta cells?
From what I've read, the sitagliptin doesn't put a lot of strain on beta cells but nudges it to do a little more.
Whereas glicizide can do!