Site hygiene- what do people do?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
When I got shown how to insert the set, the rep talked about sterile wipes but after I asked about hardening of the skin the dsn said it wasn't necessary. When I was diagnosed in 1983 it was routine to swab a site before you injected. This was discontinued because we were informed it hardened the skin. I also did not get told anything about what to do with a site when you take the set out.

What do the rest of you do?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Upon checking I was told the same that it wasn't necessary to swab the site if you bath/shower daily, prior to starting on the pump I did purchase some Steret swabs and I use these to clean the area if there's any blood visible when removing the cannula.

As you say @tigger, the advice to swab the site prior to injecting went out in the early 80's.

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks. I just got the pumping insulin book and it had a lot on this subject and began to worry me....

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I do nothing just pop the cannula in, on removal same nothing unless it looks a bit sore for some reason then I just dab a bit of antiseptic cream on it.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks. I just got the pumping insulin book and it had a lot on this subject and began to worry me....

Refresh my memory, what does the book say again?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
This is the 1994 version (I'm trying to get the oldest one available to help with animal insulin basal rates) and one of the first questions was would you do site hygiene with a couple of products and if not it says you're not suitable for a pump.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is the 1994 version (I'm trying to get the oldest one available to help with animal insulin basal rates) and one of the first questions was would you do site hygiene with a couple of products and if not it says you're not suitable for a pump.

Interesting, wonder what he's latest book says, will have to have a look later this evening.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tea tree oil is good when you take a site out. Cleans the area and stops any redness I ound

Reactions: 5 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I shower just before my set change. If I have to do an unexpected set change I use an anticeptic wipe with aloe vera to clean the area.

On removal I only use something if the site looks a little sore or bleeds a lot. Then I use a dot of savlon. Hope that helps :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I'm in the less is more camp here. Normally change after a shower but, if not, I just wipe over site with kitchen paper and water and then dry off just (it's just really to wipe away any cream or sweat or anything else there that would prevent cannual from sticking). When I take one out I don't do anything but after the next shower I use bio oil on my sites - seems to work just fine,

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Pumping Insulin Fifth Edition basically says the same, wash hands before and use use an alcohol pad to clean the skin, except if your a Staph Carrier and you must use a IV Prep or Betadine Pads/Solution (page 84).