Sitting here in tears

B

bolders

For your own sakes don't be stupid and do what i did. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as type 2. I denied it to myself as much as anything else and didn't look after myself properly.
A few weeks ago I damaged my toe slightly and within hours had to deal with raging cellulitis in my foot. This resulted in my spending two weeks in hospital and coming really close to having limbs amputated - I was lucky in that I haven't had any thing cut off.
I do however now have to inject insulin twice a day as well as take pills.
Because of the amount of time that I have been off work I am now in very danger of loing my job as well as being on the brink of bankruptcy due to loss of earnings. I now suffer from the most horrendous depressions.
I really don't know what I'm going to do.
So if you don't want to end up like me make sure you keep your appointments and listen to what your being told.
It really can screw you up if you dont

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
I cannot even begin to imagine what that must be like I can only hope you manage to keep your job and hope things improve for you bud.

Fraddycat

I'm so sorry Boulders to hear what you are going through - we can all identify with that feeling of denial. I hope you can keep your job and manage to get back to health. Best wishes, Jane

sallylondon

I am so sorry for what you are going through and have been through. I am sending you big hugs and hope you are comforted by the thought that lots of us in the forum are wishing you well. You are not alone!

C

catherinecherub

bolders said:
For your own sakes don't be stupid and do what i did. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as type 2. I denied it to myself as much as anything else and didn't look after myself properly.
A few weeks ago I damaged my toe slightly and within hours had to deal with raging cellulitis in my foot. This resulted in my spending two weeks in hospital and coming really close to having limbs amputated - I was lucky in that I haven't had any thing cut off.
I do however now have to inject insulin twice a day as well as take pills.
Because of the amount of time that I have been off work I am now in very danger of loing my job as well as being on the brink of bankruptcy due to loss of earnings. I now suffer from the most horrendous depressions.
I really don't know what I'm going to do.
So if you don't want to end up like me make sure you keep your appointments and listen to what your being told.
It really can screw you up if you dont
Hi bolders,

I am sad to hear your story and cannot begin to know how it feels to be in your predicament.

I would advise that you start afresh in controlling your blood sugar levels from today and if there is any advice that you need then please do not hesitate to ask. No questions are considered silly and you really do need to get on top of your management so that nothing like this happens in the future.

As to your finances, I would seek the help of CAB as they may be able to write to your creditors and explain what has been happening and asking for extra time. This might help to alleviate your depression by knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I am sending you some (((((hugs))))) too and hope that things improve soon for you.

Take care,

CC.

Unbeliever

Do take catherinecherubs's advice boulders.Someone else taking an overview of your problems and contacting people for you would be of enormous help I am sure because you can't be up to sorting it all oyut for yoourself just now/
Just the fact that you have contacted aa body such as the CAB will prove to your creditors and others that you are taking the situation seriously and trying to sort it out.

When you have your bgs under control you will feel much more able to cope. Your HCPs may be able o reassure your employer too.

It must seem like an impossible task at the moment butits never too late as others have said. Its just a pity that so many people have to learn the hard way. Many of us have had some sort of fright or wake up call so you are not alone.
Good luck , keep in ouch. You will feel so much better just by seeking help and taking control. You have taken the first step by posting here.

welsh_kev

I cant be easy but make today the first day of the rest of your life. Its easy to look back and hit yourself constantly saying you could have done better, u can never go back and change the past. U can alter your future tho, please seek advice and above all things take care xx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bolders
I cqan'tt imagine how you are feeling, but wonder if feeling more in control might help. If you think so, how about trying to cut back onthe carbs you eat. That would put you in charge and not thee diabetes. So far nothing irredemable has happened. Also get in touch with diabetes Uk [not this group] on diabetesuk.org. They have great knowledge of your legal situation re your job. I'm not sure if you can be sacked if your time off was for geunuine sickness. DUK also know where to get specific help on things like mortgages. there's help out there, but you have to know where to look for it.
Hope that's a little bit of help
Hana

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Do go to the CAB - you need expert help with your employment/financial situation. It's possible to sort it yourself but you have to be strong.

If you have a proper contract of employment you should have been getting statutory sick pay for the time you've been off work; also if it is genuine sickness they can't sack you after only a few weeks. Of course I don't know your back story, but they can't just get rid of you.

Take Hana's advice about contacting Diabetes UK; contact your local CAB; and above all, get control of your blood glucose levels. Have they given you a meter and test strips on prescription? That's the most important thing you need at the moment - go shout at your doctor. I find bursting into tears is very effective :wink: . Bankruptcy can't kill you - diabetes will!

If things get really desperate, there are things called "Individual Voluntary Arrangements" with creditors. I've had one of those in the past, and it was fairly easy to deal with. It takes a long time to make you homeless, too, once you've got help. After you've got your meter, go to the CAB! :wink: Or phone if you can't walk - I think they do home visits.

So - that's the worst case scenario. Get professional help, get control of your BGs - and if you need support, come on here. There'll always be someone to help as best we can :D

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

dwibley

As previously mentioned, good glucose level control is key. If you can get on top of that you will feel so much better in yourself and that will also help lessen the bouts of depression too.

As for financial worries, if you feel your debts are becoming too substantial to maintain, I would visit the cccs.co.uk, they are a completely free debt advice service.

Good luck for the future.

So sorry for you and know how ghastly uncontrolled blood glucose makes you feel. Do please try and remember this is the first day of the rest of your diabetic life and the first thing to do is to get you glucose under control NOW. Seek advice, do tests and get help from the CAB for your financial problems. All very best wishes and do seek help from the forum, diabetes UK have wonderful bods who will answer the phone with help if you need immediate help.

All very best wishes for your future.