Skin problems?

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Over the last five months my feet have completely dried out and are so sore with deep cracks, walking is unbelievably painful, showering/bathing feels like acid to my feet. After numerous visits to the chiropodist and doctors, a drawer full of creams and lotions, antibiotics, nothing has worked. I am now waiting an appointment to a dermotolagist. Has anyone else had problems that are either on going or they have managed to find a solution to helping an issue like this?

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May be try 10mils olive oil with 7 drops of lavender oil & 2 drops of tea tree oil. That should do the trick.. it works well on may skin conditions.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something recommended to me when I first started having foot problems was to soak feet for 10 minutes at bedtime to soften them up, dry thoroughly and cover affected part with a thick moisturizer like diprobase or 50/50 or heel balm, usually available on prescription, and then wrap your feet in cling film and then socks. You'll need to take the cling film off in the morning as it can be a bit slippery to walk on, so be careful if you get up during the night!

Keeping them well moisurised during the day can help, as can using some really good quality insoles to help with the pain of walking - the cheap memory ones are no good, they flatten too quick.
i read on here that Liqua Care Therapeutic Liquid Insoles are available on prescription for diabetics so might be worth askiing your dovtor for some.

Reactions: 4 people

frangipani

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Over the last five months my feet have completely dried out and are so sore with deep cracks, walking is unbelievably painful, showering/bathing feels like acid to my feet. After numerous visits to the chiropodist and doctors, a drawer full of creams and lotions, antibiotics, nothing has worked. I am now waiting an appointment to a dermotolagist. Has anyone else had problems that are either on going or they have managed to find a solution to helping an issue like this?
A friend of mine is a chemo nurse who goes to people's homes to administer the drugs. A side effect can be drying, cracking and splitting of the skin on the feet and also hands. I have this problem too and had started to see a chiropodist every 5-6 weeks which helped a bit. Like you I also have a huge collection of prescription lotions and potions as I have eczema and psoriasis, but nothing has really helped my feet. However, my friend recommended a product her patients use called 'Udderly' which I tried and it is like a miracle cream. It was designed for cows' udders (!) and it contains urea, which I think is the magic ingredient. I ordered a pot and tube from Amazon and the best effect has been on my feet, the deep fissures have healed with me putting the cream on at night. Still get lots of dry skin but I remove that myself. Highly recommended. The misery has gone.

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My dermatologist gave me some urea ointment, not Udderly, and it smelled absolutely awful! Worth a try because it does help a lot of people but just be prepared for the smell ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Don't have problems as bad as yours. But my chiropodist recommended a product by Swedish company CCS. Available in Boots and other places, also contains urea.

Reactions: 2 people

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1426364413.678548.jpg
i moisturise them constantly and my husband clears dead skin every day but they are still like this, I visit chiropodist once a month also.

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I put on my first comment, I am waiting for an appointment to a dermotolagist, to receive an appointment can take 59 days apparently! I feel like I'm walking on glass.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you ever get pustules on your soles as well, or just the hard, splitting skin?

frangipani

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
My feet looked like yours, probably worse initially when it first became really bad two years ago - lots of cuts, very difficult to walk etc. Have been using Udderly since January and no fissures or splits. I know you don't know me, but please take my word for it - I like you have had every blooming skin cream on prescription, saw a dermatologist who confirmed I had problem skin and gave me another skin cream that didn't work! I'm not on commission, it is worth a tenner to find out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Udderly-Smo...qid=1426368763&sr=1-1&keywords=udderly+smooth

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And have you got anything like it on you palms? Sorry for all the questions, but your photo look bit like mine do and I have palmoplantar pustulosis (palmo/palms plantar/feet) which starts with the pustules then they dry out to hard splitting skin like yours, and that eventually peels of leaving very red new skin then more pustules and the cycle starts again.
If you don't get any pustules it's unlikley to be that though. Try the cling film, it can really help.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you doctor ever give you Salicylic Acid for it, it's good for stopping a build up of the dry skin.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
View attachment 12431 i moisturise them constantly and my husband clears dead skin every day but they are still like this, I visit chiropodist once a month also.
My wife has had that problem for months but it seems to be clearing up.
Every night I was rubbing coconut oil in and wrapping her feet losely in cling film or simply tying plastic bags to her feet to help keep the moisture in.
She has been to the hospital once every six weeks or so to have a knife taken to them to remove layers of skin.
Sh'e also had creams and lotions and some special skin coloured plasters that I cut up to fit gashes and fissures but like I say it seems to be almost cleared up now but for how long we don't know.
Can't remember the name of the plasters but they help greatly through the day.
My wife in't diabetic.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I REALLY hope you get that sorted out. Wishing you the very best

Mike

crookycrumble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cling film: i saturate my feet with cream every night then wrap them, I have even purchased latex swimming socks, then put on thick fluffy socks! If I dare go to bed with bare feet then I would wake up unable to even move my feet because the skin had dried out so much that the slightest movement would mean even more splits to my feet.
No.. I don't get any pustules, the chiropodist did think firstly that I had some athletes foot but that was a wrong conclusion also.
I haven't had any saliylic acid, some creams I have tried I've only managed to use them a few times because some bring on other reactions.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sh'e also had creams and lotions and some special skin coloured plasters that I cut up to fit gashes and fissures but like I say it seems to be almost cleared up now but for how long we don't know.
Can't remember the name of the plasters but they help greatly through the day.
My wife in't diabetic.

Were the plasters Duoderm?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cling film: i saturate my feet with cream every night then wrap them, I have even purchased latex swimming socks, then put on thick fluffy socks! If I dare go to bed with bare feet then I would wake up unable to even move my feet because the skin had dried out so much that the slightest movement would mean even more splits to my feet.
No.. I don't get any pustules, the chiropodist did think firstly that I had some athletes foot but that was a wrong conclusion also.
I haven't had any saliylic acid, some creams I have tried I've only managed to use them a few times because some bring on other reactions.

I tried latex swimming socks too but mine had little bobbles on the soles that hurt! Have yours got bobbles too? I'm going to try and get some smooth ones if they exist.
Do you get anything on your hands?