Sky News: Disturbing rise in childrens T2 diabetes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If we look back to our own school days - at least my generation - school dinners were ALL stodge. They were disgusting to be honest. It was food I wasn't used to at home and couldn't eat it. Most of the time the smell put me off before anything else. I was lucky in that I was able to go home at dinner time. Packed lunches hadn't been invented. In the morning break (at grammar school) we got an iced sticky bun thing and a third of a pint of milk (always warm by the time we got it). I imagine things have changed for the better these days.

However, the stodge was offset to a certain extent because we used to walk to primary school. In my case that was 4 journeys a day probably 5 miles in total. Even though we had a car, the school run hadn't been invented. Grammar school was too far to walk, so we cycled mostly, or caught a bus in bad weather.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I remember intensive thrush at 6yr old in the 1970s.
To be honest I don't know if I was given sugar on my pacifier. My teeth were perfect. I wasn't a great lover of sweets. Savory was my favorite. Mackerel even then. I was mocked because I prefered fish to chips etc. I was odd, I guess.
I wasn't allowed easter eggs due to being overweight when all my cousins had a shelf full and proud to show them off. I was bought new clothes instead. My mum cooked from fresh, everyday.

I remember chest infection after infection due to both parents smoking around us and extended family too.

My father was a heavy drinker and my mum was portly. My mum still binge eats sweet foods when she's down even on anti-depressants.

I'm not convinced my diet at 4, 5 and 6 was filled with high carb. We werent allowed bread with a meal, only adults.
I still don't like boiled sweets, jellies or sweet sweets.
I've always prefered coffee to juices and cannot stand orange juice.
My tastes has always been meat and fish orientated. Veg was left to end of meal and eaten when forced.

I wasn't addicted to sweet things at 6 nor 7 or 8yrs old.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was the only one suffering with high sugar, insects used love biting me when out on countryside hikes.
I'm still the only diabetic in my close family and extended family.
Today my 2 sisters hacked the sweet food just after a cooked meal of meat and vegtables. I took my metformin and drank no added sugar and zero sugar drinks. My brother-in -law hacked a family bag of revels after all that.

They go home to no injections or testing and no need to reduce their obese bodies to be able to live possible another extra 10yrs.
Diabetes isn't fair, especially on babies and young children, who rely on others for medical help. Which I was refused.

I thank god these children are getting picked up by the nhs and helped asap.
I wish I had been!