Sliding scale help please!!!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry about the quick message but I'm in a rush.
Currently in hospital about to be put on a sliding scale ready for steroid injections.
Do I need to leave my pump on or take it off?
They're telling me I need to keep it on but surely I'll have double dosage then!?

Thanks
Claire x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 You need to find out for sure. Ask to speak to someone senior.

Ask if the sliding scale is being set up to ADD to your pump insulin or to REPLACE it.

Dont be afraid to check and double check with someone who knows.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never underestimate how little some HCPs know about Type 1 and pumps,

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's what I'm worried about @azure from what the midwife was saying it's running along side it and if I were on injections I would still be doing the same injections as before just with the scale as well.

I just always thought that you don't take your own insulin when on a scale

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I thought that too. If it was me and they insisted on a sliding scale, I would switch my pump off - that is, stop it delivering any insulin.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not 100% sure but I think someone here had a similar problem - being told to just leave pump on when on a sliding scale.

Is there a DSN or diabetes consultant you can speak to?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going to do some investigating. I've been in touch with a friend who's been on a sliding scale and she had to take hers off.

Will let you know how o get on. I've been here since 3 and haven't even had the injection yet!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know but I strongly suspect the sliding scale is meant to replace your pump.

Yes, delays in hospital are the norm. I think.

I'm a control freak so I did all my own diabetes stuff when I was in hospital because I didnt trust anyone else to do it. Don't be afraid to do your own tests and say if something doesn't sound right to you.

Good luck :) You'll be fine :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a control freak too. We have to be though!

I'd rather stay on my pump and control it myself but they seem really on edge about the pump.
None of them know how they work and the midwife that's looking after me is lovely but she's only ever seen one other pump. I'm not oozing with confidence right now!
On the plus side, I've been on a monitor and I'm having tightenings every 10 mins so maybe I won't have to wait until Friday!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exciting : D

You may be happier with a sliding scale and you may find the steroids cause very high sugars. I was warned about that if I should need them. Could you try the pump and see how your control is? Their ignorance shouldn't trump your wishes.

The important thing is to keep your sugars in range and counteract any effect the steroids have. The right answer is whatever does that best :)

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm happy to go with the flow I just don't want both the pump and scale if I don't need both.
She read through the manual and it didn't say anything in there about it so I'm hoping that they're not just guessing

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @claire1991 i refused sliding scale and kept my pump on but had a glucose prescription written up in case but that was when I was nil by mouth - had the pump on throughout steroids nil by mouth and section. You just have to be clear about what you want. The sliding scale apart from the glucose is same as the pump.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, I've never had a sliding scale before so I don't know anything about it.
When they come back to put it in I'll ask again

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 i forgot to say it's because most midwives aren't familiar with pump therapy so have no idea how it works. When I had my 2yr old I had midwives coming to look at it as they had never seen one before and I live in a big city xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 i forgot to say it's because most midwives aren't familiar with pump therapy so have no idea how it works. When I had my 2yr old I had midwives coming to look at it as they had never seen one before xx
I've had the same, we're like a science project lol

I don't mind having a sliding scale, I just don't want to be overdosing and end up hypoing all night

When they finally get round to me I'll let you all know what they say :)

X

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They're testing me every hour anyway I think.
From what I've understood it's meant to work alongside my pump.
I'll be asking lots of questions when they come back

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 good luck. I think I was adamant I wanted to control things through both my pregnancies. I'm such a control freak! xx

Reactions: 3 people

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
Hi Claire, just read your post. I had sliding scale but wasn't on pump, but wasn't given injections as well. Not much help to you i am afraid. Good luck, keep asking them questions. Lin xx