Slimfast and Type2!!

Virginia

Hi,I've been on slimfast for a few weeks now,and have been fine.I've been eating plenty of Vegetables and fruit etc as snacks and a good evening meal.This week though I have felt really unwell,my eyes are really bothering me ,especially in the evenings with blurred vision and I'm so tired all day.I thought it was because I'm still only managing with about 3 hours of sleep because of the pain in my feet from the Neuropathy etc.Also we have a lot going on at the moment with a house move this year and Richard hoping to retire.As I've said before our Practice Nurse doesn't believe in testing my own numbers,but because I'm feeling so ill this week I have been testing :roll: I'm usually 9.9 before breakfast and in the aftenoon and evening,after eating I've got it down to between 7.9 abd 8.8.I've been falling asleep in front of the PC and when I try to iron I just feel myself drifting off, so stop.Sitting down is hopeless I just fall asleep for at least an hour,even though I try not to :? Has anyone else tried Slim fast?I've lost in inches rather than weight and come down two clothes sizes,though Richard(hubby!)has been on the same diet and lost 1 1/2 stone!i want to do Low Carb because as soon as I start eating bread,crackers or potatoes I just pile on the weight AND inches.I'd really welcome a bit of advice :( Thanks

louiseb

falling asleep all the time and being so tired are symptoms of high blood sugar levels.
did you speak to your gp before going on the slimfast diet?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If the "shake" method of dieting is working for you, but you're still getting symptoms of hi-BG, why not try the Atkins range of shakes? (Other lo-carb shakes are available.... :wink: )

They've got 10g of carbs per shake (compared to Slim Fast's 40g per shake), and if you take 3 shakes per day, that'll keep you under (or around) 30g carbs for the day (excl. and fruit/veggies you have).

Just saying - might be worth a try...

Virginia

I did ask my Doctor,he was a locum,about the Slimfast,he just said Ok if I felt it would help! He wasn't really interested.Thanks for the tip about Atkins,might give it a try.Thankyou both.

CMichael

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just checked what it says on the Slimfast website: 'If you have Type 2 Diabetes and are overweight then you will almost certainly benefit from weight loss. However, you should not start a programme like the Slim·Fast 3·2·1 plan without first consulting your doctor, as your diabetic condition and any medication that you may be taking will need continuous monitoring and adjustment while you lose weight'. This doesn't answer your question exactly, but as others have said if your b g levels are on the high side shakes that have a lot of sugar might not be very helpful. Could be worth persevering to find a weight loss method that works better for you - good luck!

jopar

Personally I don't advocate any drink replacement diet regieme, as it doesn't teach people about the impact of foods... I suspect in your case whats happened is that the carbs in the drink, combined with the carbs from fruit and vegetables have been a light higher than you think!

Far better to learn and understand how differnt foods impact on you personally, what are good changes to make both in type and portion size of a meal/snack this generally leads to a much more successful out come...

I would speak to your GP/DSN as they have access to your medical information always important, but also ask to see a dietitian... So that you can restrict carbs safely as it's all about working out the amount of carbs you actually require or in the case of the diabetic, how many you can tollerate and what types you can tollerate..

Problem is the more you restrict foods/types the more you tend to crave it.. And the harder it can be to stick to the new diet without falling off the wagon... So need to set a achieveable small goal which works towards the ultimate goal..

But do ask for a test strip prescription, say that you want these to help you indentify the foods that aren't doing you any good, and those that are able to eat without impacting on your glucose levels, this will enable you to know why you need to make the lifestyle changes etc,.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As I've written in another thread, I GAINEd weight and increased BG on Slimfast, so I stopped it.
Didn't think of Atkins shakes. Have never seen them.
Hana

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's 7 teaspoons of sugar in each shake!