Slimming world vs low carb diet for a type1.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

I'm currently trying to lose weight, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I was hoping to get some advice from here..

I started to follow slimming world, but found myself injecting a lot more than usual to cover the fruits and other carbs I was eating. So then I thought maybe I should try having a low carb diet, although I don't really know where to begin.

I'm always quite anxious about injecting a lot and gaining weight from injecting more insulin than usual, even if the food I am eating is healthy, does anybody else feel like this?

Has anybody tried slimming world vs low carb diet? Which do you prefer? If I was to try a low carb diet, what are some alternatives I can have as snacks and have for meals rather than potato, rice and pasta?

Hope these questions make sense, I just feel at a loss of where to begin!

Thanks in advance,
Jess x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How many carbs a day are you eating at the moment? I find a decrease or increase in carbs, as needed, helps keep my weight steady @LittleMissGinge

How much weight do you want to lose - if you don't mind saying, that is.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can have anything from a meal with 30g carbs to 130g (this was when I was trying to follow slimming world and eating a lot of fruit, but that plus a correction dose resulted in me taking 32units!).
I currently weigh 11st 6lb which is on the higher end of my normal BMI, I'm hoping to lose 20lb to be at the lower end of my BMI

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not surprising that Slimming World diet meant your insulin went up. I didn't realise it was so high carb : o

I prefer my own meal plans, so what I do is record a few day's food intake, and then see where I can make changes. Something like MyFitnessPal is really useful to keep track of things.

If you're already eating healthily, perhaps you could try cutting some carbs where you can eg having smaller portions of pasta, potatoes, etc. it sounds simple but it worked for me when I needed to lose some weight.

That would also be a kind of midway between the two options you've listed, and then you could see if it needed adjusting :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I can have anything from a meal with 30g carbs to 130g (this was when I was trying to follow slimming world and eating a lot of fruit, but that plus a correction dose resulted in me taking 32units!).

The up to 130g per meal seems to be very carb heavy, my wife did the SW diet a good few years back and don't remember the meals being as carb heavy as that, they had what SW called Red & Green days, the Red days were mainly meat & veg where the Green day included carbs like rice & pasta too.

Maybe mention to the SW consultant that you have type 1 and want to keep the carbs down and likely they'll devise a plan especially for you, that way you'll have the best of both worlds, lower carb and the support network of SW.

Here's a thread from around a year ago discussing the SW diet, as you'll see some type 1's members have commented who have done the diet:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-and-effective-for-those-with-diabetes.91559/

Reactions: azure

Cookie 81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found following slimming world's SP plan was really good for me (lost 2 and a half stone) the only thing I changed was instead of the daily allowance of two b's and one a I had two as (normally cheese) and one b (normally two small slices wholemeal bread)... very little fruit and no syns!

Reactions: Bellatom

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Lidl do a protein roll which is quite substantial and 10g carbs and they are really nice and very filling.
My daughter is on weightwatchers and she is now buying these as they are low on points on the ww diet plan. You could ask your team leader if these are ok.
If you go on my fitness pal app it will have all the nutrional info you need to make any calculations.
Best of luck and well done for nipping your weight gain in the bud, wish I had done that instead of waiting until its a bouquet!!.

Reactions: Granny_grump_