SLIMMING WORLD

poppyowner

Does anyone here follow SLIMMING WORLD diet plan? I have Type 2 Diabetes and take Metformin twice daily and am trying to lose weight as morbidly obese as well (lovely phrase that!).
I was originally before being diagnosed following the Green day plan but my nurse recommended I start doing RED day plan only. I am finding I am losing weight - slowly but surely and am not feeling hungry (still tempted by stuff I am not meant to have though).
So does anyone follow Slimming World to aid their weight loss - I know Diabetes.co.uk are in links with SW likewise the GPs....? I JUST LIKE THE DIET AS THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO EAT SO YOU NEVER FEEL HUNGRY - LOL!!!

Jill

sixfoot

Dear Jill, of course you could save yourself a whole stack of membership and weighing fees by reading through the thread on here marked Low Carb.
No im not preaching or looking to convert. Nothing work quite like success.

Best wishes and good luck
Dave P

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My non-diabetic daughter is doing well on Slimming World. she still has baby weight to lose. Baby is 13 months old. Aren't red days, low carb?

poppyowner

I don't pay membership / weighing fees - I get my support from an online forum which is an Aimoo group (free) and weigh myself weekly.
Yes Red days are lower carb than Green days - the carbs form your HEB choices (ie. 227g Potato or 2 slices Nimble Bread as one choice).
I have been using SW since 2002 and so found this less of an upheaval than learning a new plan. Also my nurse is more than keen for me to follow it - allbeit the Red plan only.

Jill

tara112

Dislikes
people cruel to animals, bad manners, sugar,
how can i lose wieght with having diabetes, iv put on wieght with using insulin

inwales

poppyowner said:
Does anyone here follow SLIMMING WORLD diet plan? I have Type 2 Diabetes and take Metformin twice daily and am trying to lose weight as morbidly obese as well (lovely phrase that!).
I was originally before being diagnosed following the Green day plan but my nurse recommended I start doing RED day plan only. I am finding I am losing weight - slowly but surely and am not feeling hungry (still tempted by stuff I am not meant to have though).
So does anyone follow Slimming World to aid their weight loss - I know Diabetes.co.uk are in links with SW likewise the GPs....? I JUST LIKE THE DIET AS THERE IS ALWAYS SOMETHING TO EAT SO YOU NEVER FEEL HUNGRY - LOL!!!

Jill

What excercise are you doing with the dieting?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Just looking through these posts I am pleased to see people losing weight on any diet.

One thing that does bother me is that nobody has mentioned Bg levels at all ? Are you all able to lose weight and still keep tight control of those all important numbers ?

I would be interested to hear what your own personal Bg levels are throughout a day.

Ken.

poppyowner

Hello
I am losing slowly but surely on SW. This week I lost 3 lbs which I am pleased with. I now have nearly lost 1.5 stones since diagnosis.
I measure my blood levels using Aviva monitor every now and then as recommended to test 2 - 3 times a week. Usually my before breakfast reading will range between 6 and 7. During the day I am more likely to be between 7 and 9.
My 'diet' consists of sticking to the RED day plan of SLIMMING WORLD. I do not attend clubs or weigh ins or pay any membership, I just follow the diet plan by myself at home and rely on SW sites for support and info. I have heard though that some doctors can prescribe referrals to SW classes but with a 4 year old I won't be chasing that.
I was advised by my nurse to avoid Green days (shame as they were my fave and cheaper!) due to higher amounts of carbs hence me doing Red days only.
So far so good, I never feel hungry and am losing weight.

Jill

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jill.

BG testing 2 - 3 times a week ? Who recommends that then ? What will that tell you ? Nothing.

That's not sufficient to know if you have tight control of your Diabetes. You need to test much more often. As an indication of how often, I test every day on waking, then 2 hrs after every meal. Sometimes I might add a test before a new meal and then 1 and 2 hrs after to see what effect that meal has on my Bg levels. That control is what will slow or stop Diabetes complications. Losing weight is only part of the story.

You may be losing weight and that is to be commended but I am still worried that your Bg levels are not what they should be. Have you had a HbA1c done recently ?

Ken.

poppyowner

Hi Ken
My Nurse said that as I 'only' have Type 2 that I should only test 2 - 3 times a week and that she didn't actually think I should've been given a meter by the other nurse!
I have been noting down all my readings in this diary book that came with the meter.
You say my levels are not what they should be - WHAT SHOULD THEY BE? I was told 'as a rough guide' that between 4 and 7 for before breakfast then under 11 is ok for all other times of day but over 11 then to keep check and if consistently over 11 then go to GP.
My last blood test at GPs was in end Jan/early February when I was diagnosed but not had another one since, was told to wait for an appointment to arrive by letter giving me 2 weeks notice. I have not seen nurse/GP etc since February time. I was told at time of diagnosis that my reading was about 7.3 I think it was and that as it was over 7 twice on fasting tests that I was type 2 diabetic.
I have had a retinal screening back in March and following problems there - eye surgery in April.

SO (sorry to be a pain) - what should I aim for my blood tests to be BEFORE breakfast? After meals / during the day what should they be ? What number should I see the GP about / panic ?

I am taking Metformin twice daily - 500mg tabs. I have one with Breakfast about 7am and one with Tea about 7pm.

Please, if you have any tips / guidelines please do tell me as I feel now I have been told wrong advice and left in the lurch abit?

Jill

ps. thanks in advance

cugila

Master
Dislikes
:shock:
Jill.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :(

That has to be the worst advice you could have been given. Here are the official Feb 2009 UK NICE Bg level guidelines for a T2 Diabetic. Figures ALL HCP's should know ?

Fasting (waking) .......................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.(looks OK there but this is every day !)
2 Hrs after meals.......................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

Obviously the lower the better. I wouldn't want to be running up to 7 -8 after a meal ? I certainly wouldn't want to be in double figures anytime. It is scandalous that you were told up to 11 is OK ?
Whoever that was needs re-training.

You are on a low dose of Metformin (1g) so there is obviously scope for the dose to be increased and / or another med added. This would help lower those Bg levels. As I still have no idea what your diet consists of this could also be a factor. Certain foods can and do cause Bg levbels to rise, in some people quite dramatically. Without a system of testing you have no idea what is happening. The higher the levels then the sooner complications will begin to set in.

IMHO you need to get yourself out of the clutches of these amateurs and see an Endocrinologist. Get referred, a second opinion. It is not a critcism (???) of your GP and Nurse it is your right. Go and see someone who knows what they are doing. My Endo and DSN would have a fit if I turned up and quoted those figures to them. You couldn't make this up ?

Ken.

poppyowner

Thanks for those figures Ken. Have jotted them down in my diary book.

SO do you suggest I start testing before Dinners and Teas and again 2 hours after each meal?

If I test AFTER the meal - what reading means "DO NOT EAT AGAIN" ?

When testing after meals what number range is what I should be aiming for?

What reading is one to go and see the GP about - ie. too high or too low ?

Should I make a list of 'acceptable' meals and 'non-acceptable' meals for future reference?

Some of my meals do repeat weekly so I guess that'd help long term if any were particular problem ones......

Also - is it a good idea to snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon to keep levels even? IF SO do I test before and after these?

Sorry to be bombarding you with so many questions but I value your opinions on this.

Jill