Type 1 Smoking

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my son really he has just found out he is type one he is 22 I am also type 1 and I gave up straight away but he don't seem to get it he is still in the honeymoon period and I'm just trying to do everything I can to help him but I'm not getting anywhere in may he has a chance to go for injections to try and reverse his diabetes or at least slow it down I guess I'm just trying to give him a good chance

Reactions: miszu

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my son really he has just found out he is type one he is 22 I am also type 1 and I gave up straight away but he don't seem to get it he is still in the honeymoon period and I'm just trying to do everything I can to help him but I'm not getting anywhere in may he has a chance to go for injections to try and reverse his diabetes or at least slow it down I guess I'm just trying to give him a good chance
Stopping smoking as a diabetic is one of the best things that can be done. As diabetes impacts the entire cardiovascular system, just like smoking, the chances of complications simply increase.

Giving up smoking is extremely difficult, as is getting your head round a T1 diagnosis. It may be worth having a chat with the NHS smoking cessation to see if they can help?

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type2 but had great difficulty giving up smoking. I just couldn't deal with that as well as dealing with the diabetes so firstly I got my head around the diabetes and did everything recommended. Only when I felt in control was I strong enough to give up. It has been 3 months now. I am vaping and know that one day that will go too, but not yet! I still call myself a smoker but one who doesn't actually smoke! Give you son time. The more he learns about his illness the more he will feel in control. I wish him luck.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type2 but had great difficulty giving up smoking. I just couldn't deal with that as well as dealing with the diabetes so firstly I got my head around the diabetes and did everything recommended. Only when I felt in control was I strong enough to give up. It has been 3 months now. I am vaping and know that one day that will go too, but not yet! I still call myself a smoker but one who doesn't actually smoke! Give your son time. The more he learns about his illness the more he will feel in control. I wish him luck.

Juliet boxall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much when I was diagnosed 5 years ago I was in a coma for 11 days so I guess that helped me I do vap still now but I don't look as that I'm smoking

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I might occasionally smoke a real cigarette say 1 a week (and it tastes horrible), but for the last year been using a vape. = still need my fix of nicotine.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll hold my hands up and admit that I'm a smoker and also a T1... Not every day, in fact I've not had a smoke since Monday. We all have our flaws...

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking a year ago and took up mint imperials instead. That's how I ended up diabetic :arghh:

Reactions: HelenHak

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
About 8 years ago it was all over our news that 80% of people who quit smoking become diabetic regardless of not chnafing their diets.

I quit 3 times for over 3 months and each time around 3 months my body fell apart. I talked to some of my clients who are ER docs and very anti smoking but said it can be like removing an organ. They also shared that they have seen many healthy people quit and within a few months end up in the ER with strokes or heart attacks. They advised me to cut back to half a pack and not worry about it. I'm going with that haha

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
WOW - got any links so I can find out more about that please?
Wish I did. It was all over our news and in the newspaper for months. I wouldn't have necessarily believed it until I heard the stories from my dr clients. To add to that my parent should live in a retirement community and 3 of my moms friends quit smoking in a years time. All three of them had issues around three months later. 2 were on oxygen and one had a stroke after. Scares me to quit as I was fine until 3 months then total insomnia, light headed, crying non stop etc. And I was past the craving and addiction part. I rarely even thought about a cig.
I cried all the time over absolutely nothing. We were going to a festival and I told me hubby I was going to have a mental health cig. Had two. Didn't cry for a week and slept like a baby. Then it came back, had another one and the crying stopped and slept again. Weird I know but I'm 52 and smoked since 18. My pulse oxygen is always 99-100%. My body knows how to cope with it and hearing it's like removing an organ makes so much sense to me. Wish it weren't so as they are SO expensive and gross.

Indie1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Wow, I though it's only me, but I also got diabetes approximately at the time when I quit smoking. Roughly in a week or two after that, of course I got diagnosed much later, but I traced it back using HbA1C value at diagnosis. Can it be stress related?
(Don't take as advice not to quit :) )

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im sorry but i do not believe any of these.... Maybe stress from quitting can cause a lot of problems, but whatever stories people have, smoke is bad for our health. Just not starting it is the best. If u gave up on smoke, u made a good decision, better have some tea sometimes.

For the original post, there r people who can only learn from their own mistakes, he ll sooner or later realise that smoking is bad for him. He ll, especially coz he has such a strong person next to him as a good example, who gave up on smoke just immediately to live a better, healthier life.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Im sorry but i do not believe any of these.... Maybe stress from quitting can cause a lot of problems, but whatever stories people have, smoke is bad for our health. Just not starting it is the best. If u gave up on smoke, u made a good decision, better have some tea sometimes.

For the original post, there r people who can only learn from their own mistakes, he ll sooner or later realise that smoking is bad for him. He ll, especially coz he has such a strong person next to him as a good example, who gave up on smoke just immediately to live a better, healthier life.
I would never imply smoking is healthy!! I hate it. But quitting is easier said than done and completely messes up my bs. Enough on my plate. Happy yours is emptier. Wish mine was...

S

serenity648

I wonder if the people who gave up smoking, then became diabetic, turned to sucking sweets all day instead of having cigarettes?