1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

'Smudgy' vision in one eye

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by marathonmona, Jun 18, 2017.

1. marathonmona

marathonmona Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My latest Hb showed an increase from 53 to 59. On the whole I've been good but I've made some bad carby choices occasionally.

My last screening (June 16) showed background retinopathy.

For about a month now, I've had what I would call 'smudgy' vision in my right eye. It's also slightly red and somewhat dry. I bought some fake tears from the optician and although it refreshes my eye, it does nothing for the smudgy eye.

I have read about 'blurry' vision and it being due to high sugar levels (mine range from 5 to 8) but I don't think my vision is blurry. It feels more like a permanent blotch; it's a bit like when you accidentally get suncream in your eye and your vision is affected.

I've just had my latest screening and will receive my results next week. I am bricking it. If the results haven't changed of course I will visit my doctor. The optician has asked if I would since the vision is the same whether I wear my lenses or my glasses.

Anyway; has anyone ever had symptoms like mine? The slightly red, dry, smudgy eye? Did it go away? Could it just be dry eye?

Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. marathonmona

Thanks Darkhorse!

I'm really hoping my results don't show anything bad. Fingers crossed.

4. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

5. marathonmona

Still like it with my glasses on

6. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Had exactly the same thing .... mine disappeared after a few weeks, though I did have annoying build up of rubbish on the lens

Dunno how often you alternate (specs and contacts), but check your prescriptions on both. Optician called for as we don't want risks with that stuff

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook