Snacking

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just looking for snack ideas an cold drink ideas,. liking the idea of pork scratching but its drinks that are going to be my downfall latte and fresh black coffee wth one sweetner are my go to. tea no sweetner at a push but can't do it without milk full fat. any help ideas think i have got round the sweet tooth i have and the smoking by switching to vaping sweet flavoured Eliquid i don't see a spike so thats 2 birds with one stone. at one point i thought it was the vaping that was the culprit

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat cucumbers, carrots and lots of macadamia-nuts and cheese sticks and olives or sliced fresh coconut

as drink I like a whisky mixed with cold pepsi-max (sugarfree of cause)

Reactions: dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Creamed coffee is a great alternative to latte. Your tea with full fat milk is ok-ish too. Snacks that used to be my favourites are celery spread with either Boursin or peanut butter (not the one that is full of palm oil, get the one in its own peanut oil). Small slices of good ham with grated cheese, and chorizo crisps are great, too.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a large jug of licorice and mint tea, drink a couple of cups of it, then fish out the tea bags and put the rest in the fridge to drink cold.
I also make ginger beer - the real stuff with beer yeast, but ferment it out, so there is very little sugar left in it, then drink it with low sugar orange and pineapple squash.

Reactions: marty_kuh

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a large jug of licorice and mint tea, drink a couple of cups of it, then fish out the tea bags and put the rest in the fridge to drink cold.
I also make ginger beer - the real stuff with beer yeast, but ferment it out, so there is very little sugar left in it, then drink it with low sugar orange and pineapple squash.
Mmmm licorice and mint tea sounds like i could give that a go or even just lemon tea

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like broth with a little ghee/ butter in the morning. Made it very easy to kick the coffee

Snacks are a few macadamia or pecans, olives, a bite of cheese

Beverages at night is vodka with a lemon

Reactions: marty_kuh

marty_kuh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like broth with a little ghee/ butter in the morning. Made it very easy to kick the coffee

Snacks are a few macadamia or pecans, olives, a bite of cheese

Beverages at night is vodka with a lemon
Vodka at night i can live with that provided its straight out of the freezer an its Stoli dont know about kicking coffee into touch

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Vodka at night i can live with that provided its straight out of the freezer an its Stoli dont know about kicking coffee into touch
I prefer absolut or grey goose. Same line.

And when I don’t sleep just a little chilled over ice goose cherry noir. Then I sleep like a baby

I was just my time to ditch coffee. Made me tired, rock gut and moody. I have a Nespresso and still skim the crema off hubbies on the weekend but once I get to the coffee part I’m turned off. Not sure what’s changed

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee and cream is quite safe, as is black coffee. I also drink tea with a small dash of milk. I also drink red wine. But mostly I drink water. I don't snack on food at all.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mainly sugar free squash.
90% Lindor chocolate.
Just getting into the red wine scene.
I like a nice meaty pate to or stilton.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I rarely ever need to snack - with LCHF the fat in our diet should keep us fuller longer - but if I do feel the need Itend to opt for something "fatty" - nuts, Lindt 85% dark chocolate, a teaspoon of coconut manna, or pork scratchings.

For cold drinks generally water, sometimes flavoured with a little lime or lemon juice with a drop or two of stevia if I want something slightly sweet. In summer I'll keep a bottle in the fridge. Otherwise, I usually drink herb teas (many of which are also good cold), and decaff coffee with cream or almond milk - maybe iced in very hot weather. I've rarely drunk any wines or spirits though since I've been diabetic mainly because I used to prefer the sweeter stuff.

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

dipsydo

Snacks - Olives , pickled eggs , Marks crackling crisps which are zero carbs ( some pork crackling and can have carbs ) and Marks ones are kinder on the on the teeth than a lot of crackling - although expensive Marks I find a couple of the crisps can be quite filling so last a while . Marks also do chorizo crisps. I find for me it is worth buying the packets with 12 gm wrapped cheeses to prevent over eating. Nuts are great but again I try to restrict by decanting into an egg cup and restricting myself to one or two egg cupfuls. 100% dark chocolate ( pure gold ) is low carb but is rather unpalatable but the chocolate hit is good and I find I can only eat 10 gms so 1 carb .
As for drinks putting some cucumber slices in water and leaving in the fridge overnight makes really refreshing drink Lime or lemon slices are other options. I have a diet coke as a treat but find it can make me want to eat more but I do like a chilled one now and again.

Reactions: lindijanice

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The packet shows 0 carbs per 100ml of tea - though it could be rounded down from 'under one' it would still be less than 10 gm of carbs per litre.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Snacks.. I measure out an ounce of almonds and crunch away ... and now I have an hamkering for almonds

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pork scratchings seem to have gone gourmet since I had some very nasty ones about 5 years ago. If I am going to try them again what readily available ones should I try?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Top tip ....... if you see something with 'gourmet' on the packet it probably isn't!
I still go to the pub, once, occasionally twice a week. Hadn't seen my brother for a while though we now have a regular drinky poo and chat. First time I saw him, I'd lost a stone and a half. 'Bloody hell,' he said. 'are you alright?'
I explained the weight loss was intentional.
I've swapped Guinness for red wine, which he was OK with. Then I ate 2 bags of pork scratchings, which he wasn't!
'How the heck do you lose weight eating those monstrosities?' he asked.
Cue long discussion about LCHF.
(Mr Pot, I'll see if I can remember to look at the brand next time - they are really quite good. Although ones straight from a local butcher may be less e-numbery.)