1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Snacking

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by marty_kuh, Nov 30, 2017.

1. marty_kuh

marty_kuh Type 2 · Member

just looking for snack ideas an cold drink ideas,. liking the idea of pork scratching but its drinks that are going to be my downfall latte and fresh black coffee wth one sweetner are my go to. tea no sweetner at a push but can't do it without milk full fat. any help ideas think i have got round the sweet tooth i have and the smoking by switching to vaping sweet flavoured Eliquid i don't see a spike so thats 2 birds with one stone. at one point i thought it was the vaping that was the culprit

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I eat cucumbers, carrots and lots of macadamia-nuts and cheese sticks and olives or sliced fresh coconut

as drink I like a whisky mixed with cold pepsi-max (sugarfree of cause)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Creamed coffee is a great alternative to latte. Your tea with full fat milk is ok-ish too. Snacks that used to be my favourites are celery spread with either Boursin or peanut butter (not the one that is full of palm oil, get the one in its own peanut oil). Small slices of good ham with grated cheese, and chorizo crisps are great, too.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make a large jug of licorice and mint tea, drink a couple of cups of it, then fish out the tea bags and put the rest in the fridge to drink cold.
    I also make ginger beer - the real stuff with beer yeast, but ferment it out, so there is very little sugar left in it, then drink it with low sugar orange and pineapple squash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. marty_kuh

Mmmm licorice and mint tea sounds like i could give that a go or even just lemon tea

6. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

I like broth with a little ghee/ butter in the morning. Made it very easy to kick the coffee

Snacks are a few macadamia or pecans, olives, a bite of cheese

Beverages at night is vodka with a lemon

• Like Like x 1
  7. marty_kuh

Vodka at night i can live with that provided its straight out of the freezer an its Stoli dont know about kicking coffee into touch

8. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

Wine

• Like Like x 2
  9. paula121s

paula121s · Well-Known Member

I'm with you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Well-Known Member

I prefer absolut or grey goose. Same line.

And when I don’t sleep just a little chilled over ice goose cherry noir. Then I sleep like a baby

I was just my time to ditch coffee. Made me tired, rock gut and moody. I have a Nespresso and still skim the crema off hubbies on the weekend but once I get to the coffee part I’m turned off. Not sure what’s changed

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Coffee and cream is quite safe, as is black coffee. I also drink tea with a small dash of milk. I also drink red wine. But mostly I drink water. I don't snack on food at all.

• Creative Creative x 1
  12. blanc71

blanc71 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Mainly sugar free squash.
    90% Lindor chocolate.
    Just getting into the red wine scene.
    I like a nice meaty pate to or stilton.

13. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find I rarely ever need to snack - with LCHF the fat in our diet should keep us fuller longer - but if I do feel the need Itend to opt for something "fatty" - nuts, Lindt 85% dark chocolate, a teaspoon of coconut manna, or pork scratchings.

For cold drinks generally water, sometimes flavoured with a little lime or lemon juice with a drop or two of stevia if I want something slightly sweet. In summer I'll keep a bottle in the fridge. Otherwise, I usually drink herb teas (many of which are also good cold), and decaff coffee with cream or almond milk - maybe iced in very hot weather. I've rarely drunk any wines or spirits though since I've been diabetic mainly because I used to prefer the sweeter stuff.

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  14. dipsydo

dipsydo · Well-Known Member

Snacks - Olives , pickled eggs , Marks crackling crisps which are zero carbs ( some pork crackling and can have carbs ) and Marks ones are kinder on the on the teeth than a lot of crackling - although expensive Marks I find a couple of the crisps can be quite filling so last a while . Marks also do chorizo crisps. I find for me it is worth buying the packets with 12 gm wrapped cheeses to prevent over eating. Nuts are great but again I try to restrict by decanting into an egg cup and restricting myself to one or two egg cupfuls. 100% dark chocolate ( pure gold ) is low carb but is rather unpalatable but the chocolate hit is good and I find I can only eat 10 gms so 1 carb .
    As for drinks putting some cucumber slices in water and leaving in the fridge overnight makes really refreshing drink Lime or lemon slices are other options. I have a diet coke as a treat but find it can make me want to eat more but I do like a chilled one now and again.

15. gkyeo

gkyeo Type 1 · Newbie

Isn't the liquorice tea high carb? When I drank it my sugars went high.

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The packet shows 0 carbs per 100ml of tea - though it could be rounded down from 'under one' it would still be less than 10 gm of carbs per litre.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook