Snacks on the go.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Bit of a slow week on the threads, so I'm calling out to all and sundry for some ideas for snacks for a long road trip. (Obviously this is just a thinly disguised way to announce I'm having another holiday - but bear with me).

I've got two days drive down to Spain,then a bit of a pootle round for a couple of weeks, then up to the north coast,more pootling, then a ferry back from Bilbao. Am I better off eating little and often (nuts) or stopping for a steak or half a chicken to fuel me for 7-8 hours driving? What do people do on driving holidays?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scratchings in the glovebox. Plans for "plastic" Edam/Gruyere slices and nuts.

@Hotpepper20000 I love dill pickles. I try and pretend the sugar content is neglible.

Any thoughts on little and often, or proper meals. It's a bit of a time thing, and I have 340 miles to do with a 2pm start, so I'd like to cut down on loo/fuel stops...

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd suggest a stop off with a small meal that you are confident holds your levels and a few snacks in between - nuts/cheese/olives/eggs

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You could stop off for an all day breakfast, minus toast and beans.
Bacon, egg, sausage and mushrooms, set you up for the day.x

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bring a cooler with ice packs. You can always stop and get ice if it melts. Then you can bring whatever food you desire

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mackerel on a stick? Dried skate wing?
And is that chinese-supermarket-dried-seaweed or stuff off the beach?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bring a cooler with ice packs. You can always stop and get ice if it melts. Then you can bring whatever food you desire

Just managed to blag a plug-in cooler which I will supplement with frozen bottled water. That will get me down to the Costa Brava with goodies intact. And chilled wine to celebrate the arrival...

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I just returned from Sevilla and I munched on fish tapas there. On the plane I had cheese and gherkins in my bag