So much weight gain since I started insulin

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I have hypo awareness and it's a good thing too as I am very prone to hypos. My medical team is actually not at all helpful and by their own admission very unclued up about diabetes. Actually an appetite suppressant is not what I need as I have to force myself to eat most of the time. I followed a very low carb diet for about a year and still had blood sugar level which were extremely high. I lost weight at the rate of 3kg a month

Have you actually been tested for T1?
There is a test, to confirm it! Antibodies or something!

Because some of the things you have posted, it's seems uncertain. I'm not up on type one as I should be so maybe somebody can and give you advice.

You say you have an endocrinologist, has she ordered tests, to see what is going on?

Don't know if you have read our forum on RH, it might surprise you!

What sort of symptoms did you suffer from before you started low carb?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Before you go partying, you ought really to do some tests on how your body reacts to alcohol nowadays. Just the usual experiment, test, record and evaluate thing.

I usually chose gin and tonic or Prosecco, both of which don't affect my bg at all. I rarely have dark drinks because they reduce my bg quite a bit (although I did enjoy a glass of good red with my Christmas dinner). Which, thinking about it, probably explains why I had low bg all Christmas afternoon / evening. *lightbulb moment*

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you actually been tested for T1?
There is a test, to confirm it! Antibodies or something!

Because some of the things you have posted, it's seems uncertain. I'm not up on type one as I should be so maybe somebody can and give you advice.

You say you have an endocrinologist, has she ordered tests, to see what is going on?

Don't know if you have read our forum on RH, it might surprise you!

What sort of symptoms did you suffer from before you started low carb?
Hi - yes I am type 1. Whilst I have been following this thread this evening I have also been reading up on Metformin and I probably am better off without it as I have had ketoacidosis. I'll mention the weight gain when I see the endocrinologist on Monday and see what she says but I may just have to stick to very low carb and no alcohol or accept that possibly weight wise my body has just stabilised. I just don't want to continue gaining and end up overweight - that's what i am trying to avoid

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi - yes I am type 1. Whilst I have been following this thread this evening I have also been reading up on Metformin and I probably am better off without it as I have had ketoacidosis. I'll mention the weight gain when I see the endocrinologist on Monday and see what she says but I may just have to stick to very low carb and no alcohol or accept that possibly weight wise my body has just stabilised. I just don't want to continue gaining and end up overweight - that's what i am trying to avoid

Low carb will do that!

It's the only 'diet/lifestyle' that has worked for me! And I've tried them all!

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Low carb will do that!

It's the only 'diet/lifestyle' that has worked for me! And I've tried them all!
Okay - how low? I am having 100 units a day as I was told to be healthy carbs should tqke up 50-55% of your total calories

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Everyone is different. Try lowering your carbs a few each day until you are happy.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It needs to be understood that there is a tremendous difference between someone who is obese trying to lose weight and someone who is thin trying to lose body fat. Many of the stories you read on this forum are about people who lost significant amounts of weight. I applaud their success, but that doesn't mean their approach will work for everyone.

I absolutely agree that an LCHF diet is very effective for most people. However, it's not always that simple. There becomes a point when you have to be more specific and you eventually need to count calories. I say this from experience.

My concern is that @Jacquelineann is already very thin and eating a very low-calorie diet. I would say the next step would be to pinpoint exactly where improvements can be made. That may mean reducing her carb intake, or it may not.

Either way, I can't see a situation where a self-respecting doctor would ever prescribe weight loss mediation to someone with a BMI that borders on being considered underweight.

Reactions: 3 people

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It needs to be understood that there is a tremendous difference between someone who is obese trying to lose weight and someone who is thin trying to lose body fat. Many of the stories you read on this forum are about people who lost significant amounts of weight. I applaud their success, but that doesn't mean their approach will work for everyone.

I absolutely agree that an LCHF diet is very effective for most people. However, it's not always that simple. There becomes a point when you have to be more specific and you eventually need to count calories. I say this from experience.

My concern is that @Jacquelineann is already very thin and eating a very low-calorie diet. I would say the next step would be to pinpoint exactly where improvements can be made. That may mean reducing her carb intake, or it may not.

Either way, I can't see a situation where a self-respecting doctor would ever prescribe weight loss mediation to someone with a BMI that borders on being considered underweight.

Fair comment and thank you very much. As I say, my real concern is, having gained two kilos in two months whilst eating certainly fewer that 1300 calories a day, i don't want to continue this upward trend.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jacquelineann If you're on mixed insulin, you could try moving to a basal/bolus insulin regime. That way you wouldn't have to 'eat to the insulin'.

I don't know if that would help you at all? Were you prescribed the Metformin for insulin resistance?

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jacquelineann If you're on mixed insulin, you could try moving to a basal/bolus insulin regime. That way you wouldn't have to 'eat to the insulin'.

I don't know if that would help you at all? Were you prescribed the Metformin for insulin resistance?
I am on a basal/bolus regime and at the time that was prescribed (I was on mixed before) the metformin was stopped. I must admit basal bolus is much easier. I take very little though - 3 units at each meal. Almost hard to take less - or certainly it feels like I am not even injecting

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before i start, I just want to say that I definitely don't think you're overweight, but I understand you're concerned at the sudden weight gain.

I'm slim too, but my weight seems to fluctuate over the year. It does stay within a certain range though so Ive got used to the little fluctuations. If your weight is still in your normal range, could you watch it and your diet and review it again in another couple of months? And could there be any hormonal reason for the weight gain?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

And, I apologise because I don't know enough of what T1s have to do to lose body fat!
But from my experience, calories have little to do with losing body and visceral fat, but very low carbing does! Even my endocrinologist says to not count calories but count carbs!
If you low carb properly and exercise and stay away from carbs especially high GI ones then the insulin she needs and what goes to fat of whatever type , she will not gain weight!

Insulin, gaining weight, wanting to reduce weight and counting calories and eating too many carbs!

I think that I'm not to far off the mark if @Jaquelineann doesn't want to put more weight on!

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before i start, I just want to say that I definitely don't think you're overweight, but I understand you're concerned at the sudden weight gain.

I'm slim too, but my weight seems to fluctuate over the year. It does stay within a certain range though so Ive got used to the little fluctuations. If your weight is still in your normal range, could you watch it and your diet and review it again in another couple of months? And could there be any hormonal reason for the weight gain?
That's a very good idea and thank you. Yes, of course that would make perfect sense! It's not likely to increase by more that 1kg a month at this current rate even if it does, and that's annoying but not the end of the world!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost hard to take less - or certainly it feels like I am not even injecting

You may laugh, but I inject in .5 unit increments (Novopen Echo).

My insulin intake varies significantly from day-to-day. Last week during Christmas, I was averaging around 30-40 units of insulin per day (16-20 basal; 15-20 bolus) while I enjoyed my family’s cooking. Today, I’m back to my normal routine and have only taken 4 units of basal (0 bolus so far).

My point is, take what you need and nothing more (or less). In the last four months, I’ve given myself as little as .5 units or as much as 14 units at one time.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before you go partying, you ought really to do some tests on how your body reacts to alcohol nowadays. Just the usual experiment, test, record and evaluate thing.

I usually chose gin and tonic or Prosecco, both of which don't affect my bg at all. I rarely have dark drinks because they reduce my bg quite a bit (although I did enjoy a glass of good red with my Christmas dinner). Which, thinking about it, probably explains why I had low bg all Christmas afternoon / evening. *lightbulb moment*
Not considering "partying" :) but thank you

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may laugh, but I inject in .5 unit increments (Novopen Echo).

My insulin intake varies significantly from day-to-day. Last week during Christmas, I was averaging around 30-40 units of insulin per day (16-20 basal; 15-20 bolus) while I enjoyed my family’s cooking. Today, I’m back to my normal routine and have only taken 4 units of basal (0 bolus so far).

My point is, take what you need and nothing more (or less). In the last four months, I’ve given myself as little as .5 units or as much as 14 units at one time.
My goodness! I have taken much much more when fighting infection but somehow it feels "wrong" to do it for food! But if it works for you then that reassures me!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My goodness! I have taken much much more when fighting infection but somehow it feels "wrong" to do it for food! But if it works for you then that reassures me!
Works for me too, rarely take more than 2, usual is 1 and 0.5 when planning exercise or a lower carb meal. Have taken 3 when eating out.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Works for me too, rarely take more than 2, usual is 1 and 0.5 when planning exercise or a lower carb meal. Have taken 3
This I like! Doesn't seem like my pens do less than 1 unit but I can always play around with that!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you low carb properly and exercise and stay away from carbs especially high GI ones then the insulin she needs and what goes to fat of whatever type , she will not gain weight!

That’s a very bold statement considering (by your own admission), you “Don’t know enough of what T1s have to do to lose body fat.”

I’m not sure how to say this without sounding like a jerk, but please ask yourself how relevant your personal experiences are to this discussion. In your words, you do not have diabetes, and your issues with reactive hypoglycaemia are significantly different from the issues caused by T1D. A perfect example is your mention of visceral fat. Visceral fat is of little concern to many of us as we have little to no insulin resistance.

I do have experience gaining and losing weight both pre and post Type 1 diabetes. I will tell you that it’s significantly harder now that I’m insulin dependent. We don’t have the luxury of deciding when we want our insulin to be absorbed and how fast. That means running the risk of high blood sugars which causes long-term damage, or running the risk of low blood sugars which can potentially kill us. I can only imagine it's even more difficult for someone like Jacqueline who is twice my age and half my size. I say that with respect and do not mean for it to come off insulting.

I’m sure your endocrinologist is a fine person, but his or her opinion doesn’t mean a whole lot to me without a thorough explanation of WHY they advocate counting carbs rather than both carbs and calories. Again, I’m speaking on a high level about someone who is already in very good shape.

I challenge you to quantify a few of your terms “low carb” and low carbing “properly.” At this point, it’s a little tough to disagree with you as “properly” means absolutely nothing without an explanation.

I’m not going to apologize for being blunt but I will offer this explanation: I know how difficult it is to go from 20% bodyfat down to 12%. I also that it’s even more difficult to go from 12% body fat down to 10%, and that difficulty is further multiplied when you also have T1D. I don't take offense to your comments, but I feel the need to repeat myself in saying "It's not always that easy."

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That’s a very bold statement considering (by your own admission), you “Don’t know enough of what T1s have to do to lose body fat.”

I’m not sure how to say this without sounding like a jerk, but please ask yourself how relevant your personal experiences are to this discussion. In your words, you do not have diabetes, and your issues with reactive hypoglycaemia are significantly different from the issues caused by T1D. A perfect example is your mention of visceral fat. Visceral fat is of little concern to many of us as we have little to no insulin resistance.

I do have experience gaining and losing weight both pre and post Type 1 diabetes. I will tell you that it’s significantly harder now that I’m insulin dependent. We don’t have the luxury of deciding when we want our insulin to be absorbed and how fast. That means running the risk of high blood sugars which causes long-term damage, or running the risk of low blood sugars which can potentially kill us. I can only imagine it's even more difficult for someone like Jacqueline who is twice my age and half my size. I say that with respect and do not mean for it to come off insulting.

I’m sure your endocrinologist is a fine person, but his or her opinion doesn’t mean a whole lot to me without a thorough explanation of WHY they advocate counting carbs rather than both carbs and calories. Again, I’m speaking on a high level about someone who is already in very good shape.

I challenge you to quantify a few of your terms “low carb” and low carbing “properly.” At this point, it’s a little tough to disagree with you as “properly” means absolutely nothing without an explanation.

I’m not going to apologize for being blunt but I will offer this explanation: I know how difficult it is to go from 20% bodyfat down to 12%. I also that it’s even more difficult to go from 12% body fat down to 10%, and that difficulty is further multiplied when you also have T1D. I don't take offense to your comments, but I feel the need to repeat myself in saying "It's not always that easy."

No, you don't come across as blunt or a jerk wether you are or not!
No need to apologise either!
I believe the op is a bit confused and I was trying to help.
However it didn't come across as well as I had hoped.
She asked to lose weight, and I have lost a lot of weight since diagnosis.
It was the excess insulin that was make me gain weight.
The only thing that has worked has been a very low carb lifestyle.
Which I was recommended by some really knowledgeable people on this site.
Having a certain blood glucose disorder has opened my eyes to how to be completely in control of my levels and what to do to stay there!
Not eating carbs and sugars to a very low-level is not fun to someone who was brought up on chips with everything! And Sunday roasts!
I would rather trust my endocrinologist because he saved my life and everything he has said has come true. I have researched an awful lot on how my condition is effectively trying to kill me and why. There is a similarity with diabetes of all types because of how my body interacts nutritionally, the way my body deals with glucose, glucagon, glycogen, hormones, alpha and beta cells, insulin, etc.
I was originally diagnosed T2.
My doctor struggled with my diagnosis and only my consultant seems to be one of a few that recognises what RH is.
T1s don't have it easy, but neither do I! I'm weird, medically!
There is a cure on the horizon for T1, there isn't one for RH, it won't kill me as such, but it won't help into my old age.

Ok, I'm glad you helped her and that is what I was trying to do.
Hopefully she gets her wishes!