So what happens next

Colinb

Hi All

very new to this so please excuse any mistakes in terminology etc I may make.

I was diagnosed two weeks ago as a type 2 diabetic. My blood sugar was 17.9.

My doctor has sent me home with a tablet (Glucophage 500). I take one twice a day (breakfast and dinner) and I measure my blood first thing in the morning and 2 hrs after my main meal at night.

I have to do this for ten days and then go back to the doctor. No diet has been mentioned except to tell me to keep away from starchy foods such as potatoes, rice and pasta

My question is - what is next?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi again Colin - see the information I have posted on your other thread. The advice you have been given about testing is not what we recommend - we recommend that you test more often as you will see from my post and attached information too. You will not always need to test so much when you have worked out which foods are OK for you. What is next depends on what your doctor says at your next visit. Come back here and let us know what he says.

Grazer

Colinb said:
I measure my blood first thing in the morning and 2 hrs after my main meal at night.

I have to do this for ten days and then go back to the doctor. No diet has been mentioned except to tell me to keep away from starchy foods such as potatoes, rice and pasta

Welcome Colin! All will become clear when you read round this forum a bit. Daisy's posst (on the other thread) is a good start.
At least from what you said above, your doctor is more ahead of the game than most! Most tell us to eat plenty of carbs and don't bother testing at all!

Colinb

Hi Grazer

Thanks for the welcome and advice. Yip I can see me spending many hours here as there is a huge amount of information available.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Colin b
I would recommend you find a copy of "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution" It's by far the best book I know on the subject. It is American and so the units will be unfamiliar, but conversions are straighforward.
there are several web sites that are useful in addition to this one. D-solve and David Mendosa, are 2 I use often.
I prefer a low medicaion low carb method of control myself and still use no more medicine than I did 10 years ago. In fact less. I know I could manage on none at all, if I were 100% on diet, but I do have a few treats every now and then.
The more you learn and understand the better you will do. This condition depends much more on the patient than the medics
good Luck
Hana

floridagal

Hi Colin we sound to be i the same boat I was diagnosed two weeks ago type 2 blood sugar was 19mmols .
You sound to have had much more active care than me already ! I was sent away for a week told to eat carbohydrates with every meal no sugar etc. Then I went back no blood test or anything no monitor no BP nothing send s me away with 500mg or metformin (glucophage) to take on a morning then increase to two a day after a week ago then see her in 8 weeks. :evil: The nurse thinks that its too soon to start monitoring blood sugars and that I should give diet and the pills chance to work (not sure how I am supposed to know if they are working if I dont test !)

I bought myself a blood glucose monitor and started testing before meals and two hours after as per advice in here. I soon realised that carbohydrates keep my blood sugar high. If i hadnt have tested I would have spent the whole 8 weeks eating the carbs she recommended and not improved my blood sugars.

I was told I would be called for retinal screening of my eye in the next week but havent heard anything. She says she will check my feet next time I go and I will need to have a urine test done to check for kidney damage caused by diabetes. No mention of anything else.

Anyways I am feeling great to be honest and I hope you feel improved too my blood sugars are slowly falling and today I got my first reading below 8 ..2 hours after food which is the best I have seen yet as most have been above 12 etc.

I have yet to increase my metformin (glucophage) as I have been suffering with some side effects :oops: Imodium is now my best friend !