Someone to talk to

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just been diagnosed and I haven't got clue. Feel lost.
Hi @chris5428 and welcome to the forum from me too. Most people feel like that when we are first diagnosed, and don't usually get much advice. I can't blame GPs as I know they are underfunded and overstretched. The internet is great as we can now learn from other people in the same situation.
Have a read round the threads, and ask anything you want to. It does take a bit of time to get your head around it all, but you will find you can control your condition.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Welcome @chris542. Sorry you're here. But glad you're here, it's the best place for advice and friendly chat.

I agree with the sentiments of @gavin86. Take it easy. As you learn more you will manage it well and get those blood sugars under control.
When I was first diagnosed I ended up pissing off my girlfriend by saying all the time "I wonder if I can eat that, or if I can eat this". I would say keep doing what you're doing except for one thing: lower your carb intake. Cut out full sodas and sugar, eat less of spuds and bread and pasta. This little thing can make a good impact on your BS control. But don't panic about it. Have a read on the forum and take your time.

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @chris5428 11.9 mmol/L is on the high side. You should be aiming for readings between 4-7. But if you start taking care about what you eat you should get your figures down.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This graph gives you an idea of what the figures mean:

50shades - Copy.png

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Just wanted to say hello and welcome.............
Hello and welcome.

Tony

Reactions: Liam1955

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just received my meter and did a test. 11.9 mmol/l. Is that ok as no one has told me what's good or bad?

Hi Chris,

You need to be organised with your testing. The odd random tests don't mean very much.
Test immediately before you eat.
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the rise from before to after
If the rise is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal
Try to keep the rise as flat as possible - no more than 1.5mmol/l if you can.
Keep a food diary including portion sizes
Record your levels alongside and over time look for patterns
This is called eating to your meter and enables you to see which foods and in what portion sizes your body reacts badly to.

You can also test first thing in the morning after you get up - before doing anything else such as showering or pottering about. This is your fasting blood glucose level (FBG). You can also test immediately before bed.

Good luck with the meter, and let us know how you are going on. :)

Reactions: Liam1955 and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With any luck, if you lower your blood glucose levels by eating fewer carbs each day then you'll not only see your levels dropping (and perhaps your weight as well) but as time goes by your levels will reduce as your metabolism recovers.
I have normal levels now after almost 7 months of eating low carb, and my meter tells me that even with a gradual increase in carbs I am still keeping to the normal range. The longer I stay low carb the better I feel, and I have shrunk out of clothes I was wearing and used to wear a few years ago. Another year and I'll be wearing kaftans and flowers in my hair.....

Reactions: ickihun and Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @chris5428 - Take a look/read the basic information that daisy1 posted on this Thread for you :). It states the ranges of blood sugars for Type 2 Diabetes.
And always wash your hands before you do a test :).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Most importantly enjoy the forum.

We are all in the same boat but we are often swimmingly along doing what's really helpful to our diabetes.
Your worth it.
Remember that.
You need low carb compared to your diet now. Everyone's limit of carbs are different.
I'm hugely insulin resistant so I spike even on protein even on a low carb diet. Others just need to reduce their carb portion size to gain control.
You need to find your insulin resistance agitator and eliminate it to gain full blood glucose control as a type2.
I've found my liver dumps glucose on me if I have no basal insulin in my system and my circulating insulin, if not used up, can increase my insulin resistance.
Your diabetes should be a lot less complicated since you're newly diagnosed.
New diet and walking more, to exercise you like, will turn your diabetes on it's head. May even reverse it!

Reactions: Liam1955

chris5428

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Chris,

You need to be organised with your testing. The odd random tests don't mean very much.
Test immediately before you eat.
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the rise from before to after
If the rise is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal
Try to keep the rise as flat as possible - no more than 1.5mmol/l if you can.
Keep a food diary including portion sizes
Record your levels alongside and over time look for patterns
This is called eating to your meter and enables you to see which foods and in what portion sizes your body reacts badly to.

You can also test first thing in the morning after you get up - before doing anything else such as showering or pottering about. This is your fasting blood glucose level (FBG). You can also test immediately before bed.

Good luck with the meter, and let us know how you are going on. :)
I tested this morning as soon as I woke up and it was 9.6. After two hours it had risen to 18.0 mmol/l. Only had a cuppa and 30g of cereal. So cereal gone out the window lol

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested this morning as soon as I woke up and it was 9.6. After two hours it had risen to 18.0 mmol/l. Only had a cuppa and 30g of cereal. So cereal gone out the window lol

Good man! You now know the benefit of a meter. :)
Try eggs tomorrow, cooked any which way.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi and welcome