Son newly diagnosed - school question

kiki0309

Hi all, my 11 year old son was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic on the 19th December 2011. Although it has been hard, we are both dealing with it pretty well.
This week has been his first week back at high school. A care plan has been arranged and generally they have been very good at helping us. Today however he had his first cookery lesson. At the end of the lesson he asked his teacher for as list of what he would be cooking over the following term and explained he was a newly diagnosed diabetic. He asked whether it would be possible to make healthy alternatives, as of course if he has cooked and prepared the food he also wants to eat it. The teachers reply was that it would not be possible or pratical for her and he could either cook what everyone else was cooking or leave her lesson. He came home in tears saying how unfair it was as he loved cooking. ( He has stated in the past that he would like to become a chef.)
Has anyone else had this same problem and do you agree that this isnt fair for him?
I told him that I would go and have a word with school tomorrow so any advice will be gratefuly accepted.

jane1

Hi,My son was diagnosed type 1 diabetic when he was 12 hes now 18.He also enjoyed cookery lessons at school. Whenever he baked any puddings or sweets dishes he would always use half the sugar required as we found that most recipes used alot of sugar. We also do the same at home and have found we actually prefer the taste of less sugar in our foods now. School should be fully supporting your son whilst he adjusts to his diabetes ,i found that with the few problems we initially had, that going to the head seemed to get things sorted out quickly. It can seem very daunting at the beginning of a diagnosis of type 1 but it does get easier.My son is nearly 19 now and is happy, healthy and leads a normal teenage life :D Hope this helps you and your son.

Tracey69

Hi and welcome,
Sorry to hear your son has just been diagnosed a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed at the age of 6 yrs old, i am now 42.
I would visit the school head and explain that your son has only just been diagnosed a type 1 diabeteic and ask them to explain what they think a type 1 diabetic is.
I know it's difficult for your son, but some schools have no idea about diabetes and obviously his cookery teacher doesn't understand.
What insulin regime is he on?
I would take any info you have been given about the diagnosis for them to copy and read, for4 example have they an idea if he says he feels unwell and shaky (this is a low blood sugar HYPO) they need to know how to treat it.
I have just contacted my local hospital to volunteer with paediatric diabetes and to my amazement i found out that my childhood consultant still runs the clinic, i thought he looked ancient then, so imagine what he is like now, so i would be very interested on how you get on.
Sorry if this sounds a bit forward but would it be possible we could stay in touch, as i am really interested in helping and learning more about Paediatric diabetes,
Hope all goes well at the school and hope your son gets on ok.
Take care
Tracey

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Kiki,
Have a gentle word with your son' s form tutor/ Headmaster if no joy try a governor.
Even if the teacher concerned doesn't have the time or inclination to make the neccessary dietary adjusment, then if assistance is offered his co-operation (by shaming) should be able to be obtained.

leggott

Hi. Sorry to hear about your son. This is a tricky one as you don't want to make too bigger deal of it as it is obviously upsetting him but at the same time you want to educate the teaching staff. I am also somewhat surprised that they don't have a healthy eating ethos at the school!

My daughter does cook the occasional thing at school but often just doesn't like it! if she has cooked something sweet them I normally let her eat it with her evening meal and bolus for it along with her main meal. I also let her do a lot of cooking at home so I can pass on my knowledge of healthy eating and give her little tips and recipes which I have picked up over the years. She can then perhaps adapt recipes at school, if she wants to, by using less sugar or salt herself. She generally eats very well at home so for me when she is cooking at school, eating at parties or friends we forgot about the healthy eating rules.

I do however sympathise with you on this. There will possibly be other issues you will be faced with when dealing with the school! At the end of the day you want them on your side and if you choose to tackle this it should be done in a delicate manner. I have often had to turn a blind eye to comments made by teaching staff and just smile sweetly. The schools that my children attend are pretty good when dealing with their day to day management so there are certain things I will over look as I don't want to spoil the good relationship I have built up over several years. I guess only you can decide on whether or how you address this issue.

Nordinini

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your son.

When I had cookery lessons, I ate the same things as everyone else - except that I had only half amount of the sugar that was in the recepie (as Jane1's son). But, I was younger when I got diagnosed, which means that I had longer time to understand my body before trying out if there was any sugary stuff on the menu (I was only 7, and we didn't get cookery lessons until I was 12).

Perhaps she can purchase a substitute for sugar? Like Canderel or Hermesetas? Then it would taste sweet, without the carbohydrates.

Other than that, the children should be teached how to cook healthy foods, so I find it quite strange that she doesn't reconsider her mind. Even without a diabetic in the class it shouldn't be much sweet things going on.
Try to talk to her, explain why you would like her to change the food that they're going to cook and if she doesn't listen, talk to the principal.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
As a teacher she should have her lessons well planned in advance. She should be able to tell you what she expects the kids to make. Maybe when/if you find out you can substitute some of the ingredients. Shame on her really, it is an opportunity for her to educate (strange word for a teacher) other kids about healthy eating.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I was rather surprised to hear this as my son is not only diabetic but also a coeliac and on a gluten free diet. When he did cookery, rather than miss out the teacher asked him to bring in his substitute for flour when making a sponge and when they had to do pizza, he took in his own pizza base and toppings and did everything the other children did. Shame on that teacher for not being a bit more sympathetic.