Sons school shoes

Orangeone

Hi my son 11 is in his last year of primary school and is moving to secondary school in September. Yesterday his school shoes last week He wore his plan black lace up plimsolls as school shoes since Monday and he's asked me if he can wear them as his school shoes instead of buying him new proper school shoes. The school he's starting at in September recommends plimsolls as school shoes so he will be wearing them from September. He teacher phoned me today asking me if I was buying my son new school shoes or just sticking with the pumps I replied sticking with the pumps. Am I right to let my son wear his plimsolls as school shoes ?

Sons school shoes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 283

Orangeone

I'd say no. Plimsolls don't really support the foot properly and they let water in. If he's having to sit with wet feet all day he'll be more prone to athletes foot etc.
He got wet feet today as his plimsolls were soaking his teacher put them under a heater to dry though

Orangeone

Then I'd be concerned that he's at school with no shoes on. But as with everything, it's whatever works for you. If you're happy with him wearing plimsolls, then let him wear plimsolls
He was only with out them for 1 lesson teacher dried my sons and his friends pumps after the lunch break when they got soaked

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be OK with my kids wearing them indoors, like slippers, but wouldn't want them to replace school shoes for outdoor wear. But like mahola says, what ever works for you, your son and his school is what matters.

Orangeone

I would be OK with my kids wearing them indoors, like slippers, but wouldn't want them to replace school shoes for outdoor wear. But like mahola says, what ever works for you, your son and his school is what matters.
I think the plimsolls can be classed as school shoes. Hoping my sons don't fall apart before he brakes up in July

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am surprised that any secondary school would allow this. When my son broke a toe and couldn't get shoes on he had to carry a note around with him all the time to explain why he wasn't wearing school shoes. I don't think wearing plimsolls all the time is a good idea. It also doesn't teach the child that school is a place to look smart and to work. Later when he gets into the world of work it will be more difficult to wear 'proper' shoes if he hasn't been used to them. Frankly I think it's a crazy idea. Like someone said on your other thread on this topic, you can get cheap proper school shoes if you look around and they will probably be cheaper long term than a £2 pair of trainers that keep needing to be replaced.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Does the school have a policy? Perhaps this is why the teacher phoned you. I have just checked my son's uniform policy and it says shoes must be waterproof.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Does the school have a policy? Perhaps this is why the teacher phoned you. I have just checked my son's uniform policy and it says shoes must be waterproof.

I agree with @Avocado Sevenfold - in this area of Yorkshire children are sent home for not complying with uniform policy. I agree with posters further up this thread, try visiting charity shops or car boot sales to find a suitable pair to last him to the end of term.

Orangeone

His school uniform policy in September is
School jumper with school logo
School polo shirt with school logo
Black school trousers
School shoes or plain black lace up plimsolls as alternative
If a student isn't wearing school shoes or plain black plimsolls the school will provide a student with a pair of plain black plimsolls for the school day / week

Orangeone

I agree with @Avocado Sevenfold - in this area of Yorkshire children are sent home for not complying with uniform policy. I agree with posters further up this thread, try visiting charity shops or car boot sales to find a suitable pair to last him to the end of term.
He wants to wear the plimsolls and the plimsolls are fine when he moves to secondary school there braking his school uniform policy at the minute though

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, all schools are different and some enforce their rules more vigorously than others. Maybe if you could get some cheap waterproof shoes?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Orangeone ,

Welcome to the forum.

You apear to have three other topics running on the same subject.
Would you like these threads merged?

This will help optimise replies to your enquiry.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@Orangeone Does your son have diabetes? We need to be extra careful with our feet as you'll know. Some councils can help with the cost of uniforms if it is a worry for parents. Not meaning you, just saying in general.

Orangeone

Yes, all schools are different and some enforce their rules more vigorously than others. Maybe if you could get some cheap waterproof shoes?
That's true there's another secondary school in the area that has a blazer and tie uniform no need

Orangeone

There no need for waterproof shoes really he only got wet feet yesterday on the way home because it was raining and it didn't help when he walked through puddles

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, you've obviously made up your mind. You did ask for forum members' opinion and I think that most of us have said that our opinion is that the shoes need to be waterproof.

I do understand his school's concern too - they are concerned for your son having wet feet and its not right that his teacher needed to spend time drying his shoes. Its not what she's paid to do.

Orangeone

Well, you've obviously made up your mind. You did ask for forum members' opinion and I think that most of us have said that our opinion is that the shoes need to be waterproof.

I do understand his school's concern too - they are concerned for your son having wet feet and its not right that his teacher needed to spend time drying his shoes. Its not what she's paid to do.
His teacher also had to dry other kids shoes aswell not just my sons in fact my sons plimsolls dry quick

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the plimsolls are being used occasionally as a kind of slipper/indoor footwear then that's ok, but I'd never let my children wear them (or trainers) as shoes.

Children's feet keep growing until they're around 18 and so properly fitted shoes are crucial.

The school I used to work in banned trainers/plimsolls as school shoes for this reason. So, although your school might permit them, I personally wouldn't say its a good idea to replace proper shoes with plimsolls.