Sore throat

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 days ago i developed a sore throat and also developed flu, i went to the doctor and he gave me me the throat drops and some flu medication..

My worry is , when i read through the labels all my medication has a lot of sugar content in it. When i tested my BS was a little high

What to do , are there any other alternative meds for flu thats less in sugar content

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What flu meds did your doctor give you? As you know, flu is caused by a virus.

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi hubby & I both had flu & sore throat
Hubby took pills; cough syrup hot drinks with meds in
Me hot black tea, hot water with lemon in, home made soups
I’m doing a lot better without the meds

Reactions: fikileM57

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother is a police officer with Thames valley police. The thing that the swipes and test do not take into consideration is whether you are unwell. \Your body changes so much when you are ill. You will not develop Man flu as you are female, but man flu can be fatal, and in certain circumstances can be touch and go. Female flu however is just flu. In it's purest form. It's kind of like cough medicine. Some cough mixtures contain more sugar than a can of Coke ( other colas are available ). I think if you google the sugar content of your meds and build that into your daily allowance you should be fine.

Reactions: fikileM57

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, if you are feeling poorly then blood sugars are often raised. Those of us on insulin are given directions on how to compensate if blood sugars are raised during illness. I do use sugar free throat pastilles if necessary but wouldn't be concerned to take a medicine with sugar in if prescribed. Hope you feel better soon.

fikileM57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, if you are feeling poorly then blood sugars are often raised. Those of us on insulin are given directions on how to compensate if blood sugars are raised during illness. I do use sugar free throat pastilles if necessary but wouldn't be concerned to take a medicine with sugar in if prescribed. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank u , im better than last week, lool..but doctor prescribed Glucophage 1000, instead of metformin 500 that i was used too

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank u , im better than last week, lool..but doctor prescribed Glucophage 1000, instead of metformin 500 that i was used too

Metformin and Glucophage are the same thing, just different names. All he has done is increase your dose. :)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi hubby & I both had flu & sore throat
Hubby took pills; cough syrup hot drinks with meds in
Me hot black tea, hot water with lemon in, home made soups
I’m doing a lot better without the meds
Have to agree here. My own doctor a few years ago told me that anything that he would give me would be of no use as it is viral and it is best to ride it out. If it were personally if

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
The medication that you have been given is just to relieve your symptoms. If it were me I would ride it out and just, gargle with warm water and salt. I would also have some hot water with fresh ginger and a slice of lemon. I would not want the meds to raise my BG, but then again your sugars could rise because of you feeling poorly. Many doctors would not prescribe anything for flu