Soups and stews please

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Very quick, very easy, very low carb soup I make does me two lunches - fake pea and ham

I can't handle pulses so make this and really tastes like pea and ham it's amazing
1 head of celery chopped leaves and all add water till just covered boil until celery is soft add a stock cube ham if you can but I have also used chicken it makes no difference.

Blend until smooth add a spoonful of creme fraiche - my preference as I don't like cream much and the acidity of the creme fraiche complements the soup better - just before eating add some smoked shredded ham (must be smoked this is what changes it from celery to peas! ) a great thick satisfying soup that's very low carb so if you do take a few more carbs you can have some croutons on top or a famous Lidl roll to dip in

1 portion is 7g carb approximately
Is this one stick of celery or a bunch ?

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I regularly make broccoli and Stilton and it is so easy. 1 pack frozen broccoli one kilo size. Cover with chicken stock or water and stock cubes, bring to boil. Simmer till broccoli is soft about 10 - 15 minutes. Let it cool slightly then blitz with a food processor or stick thingy add crumbled Stilton a no warm through. Serves about ten and is especially nice served with a little cream and sprinkled with chives. It freezes very well too.

D

Deleted member 308541

Love a fish stew - gonna have to have one now! - well not right now this week sometime
Here's a recipe you can try and create your own unique version of bouillabaisse from this bulk version.

Bouillabaisse.

Ingredients (serves around ten hungry guests)

2 kg assorted fish pieces (cutlets, chunky and thin fillets - check what your fish monger has and ask his advice)
1 kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded 6 green crabs, cleaned
I green crayfish, any size, cut into chunks
200 gm scallop flesh
20 yabbies
20 whole green prawns or cutlets
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes
2 leeks, split, washed and roughly chopped (use white part only)
2-3 litres fish stock
a good slurp of olive oil
a handful of parsley, roughly chopped,
plus a few sprigs of dill or fennel, thyme, a bay leaf or two,
and a pinch of saffron
1 glass white wine (Riesling is great)
salt and pepper
a little orange or lemon zest
lots of crusty bread

Method

In a large heavy-based sauce pan or large casserole heat olive oil and lightly cook without colour the onions, leek and garlic for two minutes.

Add tomatoes, then the thickest pieces of fish, crabs, yabbies, cray, prawns, herbs and citrus zest.

Add saffron, salt and pepper and cover with fish stock (see below) and wine. Simmer with lid on for five minutes.

Add scallops, mussels and thinnest pieces of fish (like whiting or herring) and cook for a further seven to ten minutes.

Garnish using a sprinkle of parsley and dill.

Leave in casserole and serve in large bowls with lots of crusty bread.

Serving

The traditional recipe is to pour the broth over the bread, I prefer the dunking method.

Fish Stock

If you are not an angler or it's too wet, cold and blustery to pit your skills against mother nature to catch a feed, then your friendly fish shop proprietor will usually give you some fish bones to make a basic stock.

Fish stock is cheap, easy to make and is used as a base for many healthy body warming wintry dishes. Stock can be thickened with a roux (butter, flour mixed together) to form the base for a creamy chowder, or used to add a delicate full flavour to fish curries, bouillabaisse style mixed seafood dishes or simply used as a broth in my version of Thailand's spicy, clear Tom Yam soup.

Don't be put off by the thought of fishy smells wafting through your kitchen from a bubbling cauldron of fish stock.

Preparing fish stock is easy, takes less than one hour and your feline friends will think they are in cat heaven.

Make the stock in reasonable quantity and use straight away or after straining reduce the stock down by simmering by two-thirds to make a strong flavoured liquid that can be frozen in small containers or ice-cubed and bagged for later use.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
Here's a recipe you can try and create your own unique version of bouillabaisse from this bulk version.

Bouillabaisse.

Ingredients (serves around ten hungry guests)

2 kg assorted fish pieces (cutlets, chunky and thin fillets - check what your fish monger has and ask his advice)
1 kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded 6 green crabs, cleaned
I green crayfish, any size, cut into chunks
200 gm scallop flesh
20 yabbies
20 whole green prawns or cutlets
2 onions, peeled and chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes
2 leeks, split, washed and roughly chopped (use white part only)
2-3 litres fish stock
a good slurp of olive oil
a handful of parsley, roughly chopped,
plus a few sprigs of dill or fennel, thyme, a bay leaf or two,
and a pinch of saffron
1 glass white wine (Riesling is great)
salt and pepper
a little orange or lemon zest
lots of crusty bread

Method

In a large heavy-based sauce pan or large casserole heat olive oil and lightly cook without colour the onions, leek and garlic for two minutes.

Add tomatoes, then the thickest pieces of fish, crabs, yabbies, cray, prawns, herbs and citrus zest.

Add saffron, salt and pepper and cover with fish stock (see below) and wine. Simmer with lid on for five minutes.

Add scallops, mussels and thinnest pieces of fish (like whiting or herring) and cook for a further seven to ten minutes.

Garnish using a sprinkle of parsley and dill.

Leave in casserole and serve in large bowls with lots of crusty bread.

Serving

The traditional recipe is to pour the broth over the bread, I prefer the dunking method.

Fish Stock

If you are not an angler or it's too wet, cold and blustery to pit your skills against mother nature to catch a feed, then your friendly fish shop proprietor will usually give you some fish bones to make a basic stock.

Fish stock is cheap, easy to make and is used as a base for many healthy body warming wintry dishes. Stock can be thickened with a roux (butter, flour mixed together) to form the base for a creamy chowder, or used to add a delicate full flavour to fish curries, bouillabaisse style mixed seafood dishes or simply used as a broth in my version of Thailand's spicy, clear Tom Yam soup.

Don't be put off by the thought of fishy smells wafting through your kitchen from a bubbling cauldron of fish stock.

Preparing fish stock is easy, takes less than one hour and your feline friends will think they are in cat heaven.

Make the stock in reasonable quantity and use straight away or after straining reduce the stock down by simmering by two-thirds to make a strong flavoured liquid that can be frozen in small containers or ice-cubed and bagged for later use.
Thankyou so much x

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a roasted Red Pepper soup for lunch today with a dollop of plain Greek Yogurt in it. It is my favorite soup. I'll get the recipe.

Here's the recipe

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

( a variation on the best of bridge recipe)

1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 onions chopped

2 carrots chopped

2 cloves garlic minced

1tsp dried Italian seasoning

Salt and pepper

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes

4c chicken or vegetable broth

1tbsp sugar

1 cup drained and chopped roasted red peppers.

Chopped fresh basil (optional)

Meant to be cooked in slow cooker but could be cooked on stove top or in oven. Just make sure it is at a fairly low temp.

In a skillet heat oil on medium heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic, italian seasoning, and salt & pepper. Cook about 5 min. Stirring occasionally.

Transfer to slow cooker. Stir in crushed tomatoes and broth. Cook on low for 6 hrs or high for 3 hours.

Stir in roasted red peppers and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

Puree the Soup:

I use an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker. (Very easy)

Or soup can be transferred in batches to a blender or food processor and then returned to cooker to reheat. Adjust seasoning and serve with a sprinkling of fresh basil.

I serve with a small scoop of either greek yogurt or sour cream on top. Stirred in if makes a nice creamy taste.

Last edited:

glutffood

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://glutfood.blogspot.co.uk/p/okra-curry.html

OKRA COCONUT CURRY

Ok I am well aware that many of you don't like the taste or texture of cooked okra, "its too slimy, yuk," my son always says but I guess if you are reading this you are not one of them or at least willing to try. Okra is a great source of fibre and has recently been shown to lower sugar absorption in the blood helping to regulate insulin and sugar levels. Not had hey from a slimy vegetable, for more information on this click here.
Give this recipe a go and I promise, you won't be disappointed. I will even explain how to make the okra less slimy.
Ingredients

• 8 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil
  • vegetable oil
  • juice 1 lime
  • 700 g okra, tops removed
  • 400 g cauliflower florets
  • 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 4 tsp ground cumin
  • 3 tsp ground coriander
  • 3 tsp turmeric
  • ½tsp chilli powder
  • 330ml light coconut milk
  • salt
  • pepper
  • chopped corriander

Method

• Wash and dry okra immediately, contact with water is what makes it so slimy so keep it dry. Adding lime after the cooking process also reduces sliminess. Cut off tops.
  • In a large pan heat the vegetable oil added with the coconut oil and sweat the onions, garlic and grated ginger. Mix in the all ground spices once your onions have turned translucent
  • Pour in chopped tomatoes
  • Add coconut milk and simmer for 20-30 min string occasionally.
  • Add salt and pepper.
  • Pour ocra and cauliflower into the mix and simmer for a further 30min finally adding lime juice.
  • Garnish with chopped fresh corriander

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love okra - it's my go to side dish when we go to an Indian restaurant - your recipe looks lovely :)

• Agree
Reactions: Serena51

Jenniewren1958

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tomatoe Soup
1 onion
Garlic
Fry in olive oil
Add fresh tomatoes chopped
Teaspoon each of coriander cumin seeds turmeric
300m vegtable bullion

Reactions: PurrrdyP

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a soup maker and tend to pop in what ever vegetables I have at the time so no recipes really it is just anything soup. Today I made it with a parsnip an onion some frozen peas and a chicken stock pot added some dried herbs and seasoning

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Finely chopped broccoli flowers, 1 courgette peeled quartered and chopped, 6-7 lumps of spinach, 1/2 of a pointy pepper fine chopped, 3 cloves of garlic chopped, pinch of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1cm fresh ginger peeled and chopped, slowly sweat in 1oz of salted butter for 45 mins until all ingredients are soft, add 1 small tub of creme fraise or double cream, blitz until smooth, mix 1 egg yolk with a little single Cream, as long as the mix is not boiling, fold in the egg and Cream, garnish with a little chopped rocket.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Finely chopped broccoli flowers, 1 courgette peeled quartered and chopped, 6-7 lumps of spinach, 1/2 of a pointy pepper fine chopped, 3 cloves of garlic chopped, pinch of black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1cm fresh ginger peeled and chopped, slowly sweat in 1oz of salted butter for 45 mins until all ingredients are soft, add 1 small tub of creme fraise or double cream, blitz until smooth, mix 1 egg yolk with a little single Cream, as long as the mix is not boiling, fold in the egg and Cream, garnish with a little chopped rocket.

Glad to see a recipe without onion or tomatoes!! Is garlic essential? I shouldnt have that either!!

Greg1957

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Prunes
Garlic is good for you lol, but miss it if you would like,
Cut the clove down the middle, remove the green heart, use the rest, keeps the breath a little sweeter, if in doubt, chew on a fresh parsley leaf after eating.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Garlic is good for you lol, but miss it if you would like,

Not always good for you if you have stomach probs!! I love garlic n onion but not alllowd them. Only allowed chives... tomatoes no, no but didnt like them anyway!!-lol..

Reactions: SueJB and Greg1957

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Cauliflower cheese soup!

Finely chop an onion and soften in a little oil of your choice. Cut up a small cauliflower into small pieces. Make up stock using stock of your choice. You will probably need two lots of stock for a small cauliflower.

Pour the stock into a large saucepan, add the cauliflower and bring to a rolling boil. Add the onions and any herbs.

Prepare the cheese of your choice by cutting it into cubes. I use a blue cheese for this and one small pack is enough. The stronger the cheese the less you will need.

Once the cauliflower is soft then using a stick blender blitz everything till smooth. Gradually add the cheese tasting as you go.

At this point I add in a tsp of Dijon mustard which seems to bring out the flavour even more. You could omit this and use a curry flavouring to spice it up instead.

If you feel decadent a tablespoon of single cream will give a smoother taste.

All the above will make 4 hearty servings and it freezes well too.

Enjoy.

EliseC65_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did a bottom of fridge soup as I had some wilted mint, courgettes and onion lying around ready for the bin. Sautéed the onion, added courgettes (3) thinly sliced and seasoned. Then had inspiration and added a handful of manky frozen Morrisons peas (they’re always too hard). Half a litre of stock (always in freezer as that’s what I usually do with manky veg) and let it simmer. Then blitzed with stick blender and sprinkled on mint.
Served 3 of us. I had seconds and a cup left for work tomorrow. OH and ds pigged out on bread :/ But I’m stuffed!

Reactions: Alison Campbell