South east Asia insulin supply

Antonia.ce

Does anyone know if novorapid and levemir is available Thai pharmacies?

I'm going travelling in thailand and hopefully I won't need to get more insulin out there, but just in case it goes off.

If you know and have any other Thailand traveling advice please let me know (saves me dialing Novo Nordisk on an expensive 0800 number! )

Thank you

Antonia
Type 1 since March 2013

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi Antonia,

Not sure about general pharmacies, but the bigger Thai hospital chains will stock levemir and novorapid - currently I use Levemir Flexpens and Novorapid pen cartridges. Insulin is prescription only in Thailand so you would need a local doctor's script. Of course costs are not subsidised, so you will pay market rates upfront for all drugs (will depend on your personal insurance whether you can reclaim any of this afterwards). If staying in or very close to major cities (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket) then access to good/basic English speaking medical services should be OK, but elsewhere in the country this may be more challenging.

Generally advice here is to always keep insulin (even opened) refrigerated unless in 24/7 air-conditioning. Do stock up on frio wallets but also think about thermos for ice, etc if you're outside alot or roughing it at all.

Bigger challenge could be on testing equipment - limited range of meters supported - suggest you budget to bring very ample supply of test strips with you.

Also it is possible but very hard to moderate sugar intake on typical Thai diet - almost everything includes added sugar and diet base is rice or noodles. Only sugar=free drink is Coke Lite (avoid Coke Zero) Pretty much all tropical fruits are very high glycemic index - I find it ironic that in this garden of Eden the only fruit I eat is expensive imported berries...

But an amazing country - enjoy your trip! :D

metalloz

Hi,

I am in Thailand now and needed to restock my Novorapid and Levemir supplies in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I did a lot of asking around to find reputable pharmacies due to the significant number of counterfeit drugs here. I have not had any issues with the insulin quality from where I purchased mine from. I have always timed my flights to be back in Thailand after 30 days whilst travelling SEA to get insulin. I personally didn't want to risk using insulin from Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam as Bangkok has a much better health care system.

Insulin is not cheap here and either are test strips. It is available over the counter unless you go to a hospital pharmacy, which will require a script.

Levemir flexpen=650 Baht (800-1200 at a hospital + a fee for doctors prescription )
Novorapid penfill =350 Baht
Test strips = 400-500 Baht for a box of 25

PM me if you would like the pharmacy locations. In Bangkok the Bumragrund hospital stocks both insulins however you will be required to see a doctor first for a prescription. A few months ago I spoke to the in house pharmacist. The hospitals in house pharmacy is considerably more expensive.

TIPS
-Thai food tends to run my blood sugars high. After doing a cooking course I believe its due to the significant amount of sugar that's put into the sauces...it will be trial and error at first...

-Get a Frio wallet even for your insulin supply you carry in your purse. Outside temperatures are above 25 degrees most of the time

-There is always a risk of your bag being snatched ( I have met a few people that had this happen in SEA). Split your insulin supply up and take two metres with you. Since I am travelling alone I keep some insulin/one metre in my hotel room and the rest in my backpack...depending on where you stay never leave it all in your room...it could get stolen.

-Carry lots of hypo food with you. I use sugar packets. I found my basal requirements have lowered due to being more active and also the hot weather.

-Have a gluco pen with you just in case.

I have been backpacking solo for 5 months without a fridge therefore had to make multiple purchases (Including in Zimbabwe) so I know how stressful it can be thinking about your diabetes. Let me know if you have any questions/need any tips.

I hope you have a great trip!