Soya Milk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To me its better to have full fat milk but thats only because some literature states soya no good for breasr cancer women, and some literature says it is.. cant be sure so I avoid it.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I use Alpro roasted almond unsweetened. No carbs (or much of anything else come to that). I think it tastes nice on my home made muesli, but it is definitely a matter of personal taste.

MartinK9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat, or in this case drink to your meter.

I tested all varieties of milk and soya light was the best for me, no spike at all so that's my go to for a cup of tea.

Double cream in my coffee though.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I can use soya milk in tea, provided I put it into the cup with the teabag before pouring the water in. If I put the soya milk in afterwards, it curdles. Also the water has to be off the boil, or it will curdle. Is an acquired taste, but not bad.

In coffee, it always curdles whether milk in before or after - well, it does for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Single cream in my one "proper" coffee in morning from the beans...

Cant have almond milk as alot have added vit D and I've got to avoid added vit D at the moment.

Agree with milk having sugar as lactose though.

I think i've just about been through every milk poss.

I looked skimmed milk up on wikipedia the other day to find out how it was processed. I was amazed that people drink it.. "skimmed millk used to be used to fatten pigs"....

Tried homogenised, unhomogenised, organic, almond, coconut, all creams and totally without.. not really happy that any of it is 100% healthy...

fionaclare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use full fat milk. My preference would be half/half but I don't go through enough during the week and it spoils. But I know the amounts I have are ok for me.

I stay away from soy based products because my understanding is that they can mess with your endocrine systems.

Almond milk and coconut milk and cream are my favourite non-diary milks.

I've also tried goats milk (can be slightly lower carb) and that is yummy too.

Reactions: donnellysdogs