Spanish Conumdrum

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need any advice that I can get here.

In about four weeks time I'm going on holiday with my wife to Barcelona.
I have a number of health and preference issues which restrict what I can eat.

Some years ago I had treatment for cancer of the tongue which has left me with restricted mouth opening and dry mouth (my salivary glands are now defunct).

The dry mouth means that I cannot eat things like salads as I just cannot swallow things like that. Everything has to be moist and usually smothered in mayonnaise.
Now, I'm not keen on fish although I have been eating battered cod or haddock recently (but not in Barcelona I suspect). Also hot (as in chili type hot) foods are a nono as my mouth will not stand them. Alcohol incidentally has the same effect.

I keep to a medium low carb diet (around 120g a day normally) however my exercise is limited as I have a chronic back problem.

My T2 by the way was brought on by long term steroid useage leading up to and following a liver transplant whose medication also allowed the cancer to take hold.

So, my question is, can anyone give me advice as to what I might reasonably eat when in Spain?

Thanks in advance

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Could you give us examples of what you eat?

Not salad isn't really enough to go on.

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fair comment.

I do eat a lot of Yogurt (preferably real Greek).
Soft cheese is ok but I need something fluid to help it down sich as a cheese and sour cream dip or I do use vegetable gravy as a saliva substitute when I'm within reach of a kettle.

An evening meal usually consists of low carb sausages (I have problems chewing solid meats. for instance chicken) tomatoes (a fluid boost), a few red onion slices and a vegetable such as broccoli or leeks, with a side order of mayo to help things down. The broccoli is tricky but good for me I'm told! Strangely cauliflower is more difficult as it tends to break into tiny bits in my mouth.

Stews are ok (low carb of course) if the meat is well cooked as the gravy will help swallowing.
If I do eat bread (or something similarly carby, usually for lunch out) I use lots of butter and have a large soya (unsweetened) latte to help things down.

Hope this helps.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hotel or self catering?

It is a while since we visited Barcelona but as far as I remember the foods in the supermarkets were very similar to those in the UK.

There are loads of different styles of restaurants and the Tapas culture gives you loads of choice when eating out.

Given the choice I would opt for self catering if possible but I assume that you have already booked.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You'll find the supermarkets stock pretty much everything you would expect in Sainsbury's or Tesco. Eating out might be complicated as sometimes the local Catalan way of preparing food is different from the national way.

Sent - Probably the best phone in the world.

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The trip is for a special birthday of my wife. Self catering is therefore not an option as cooking on holiday is not a holiday!

Eating out is the only option, hence the question.

Tapas I think will be difficult (although to be fair I have never tried it), sliced cold meats for example would pose me the same problem as salad leaves ie managing to swallow them without saliva.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a link to the Tripadvisor listing of restaurants in Barcelona. Why not have a browse and identify a few that have menu items that would be suitable so that you are prepared? Barcelona is a very walkable city with good public transport so you should be able to get to your chosen places easily enough. I loved Barcelona - think you'll have a great time.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187497-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I will do that.

I/We have never been to Barcelona and indeed it is many years since I have been to Spain at all, so if anyone has any particular knowledge of Catalan cuisine (we'd like to at least try something regional) that would be helpful.

Thanks al

Neil_Williams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've just come back from Barcelona 2 days ago and I'm T1. I think you should be ok with food. Tapas style is an assortment of small dishes some in sauces. Spanish cuisine in that part of the world isn't very spicy. Paella is another fluid dish that is served in most places either with fish meat or vegetarian.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They do have mayonaise in Spain, and aioli, wich has the same structure as mayonaise bot is made from garlic. Maybe you could cut up sliced cold meats an cheeses real small and ask for lots of mayo/aioli on the side. Also you can keep things you know you can eat and wich can be eaten cold in your hotel room, so if it doesn't work out at all with dinner some day you can fill up in your room. That way you won't have to go to sleep hungry and you won't have to keep hunting for suitable food if you can't find any.
I hope you will have a wonderful time together in Spain!

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi Harebrain
We go to Spain regularly and the supermarkets are great we use one called Mercado,think that's how it's spelt, they have lots of choices and are very reasonable,and has someone said buy foods to eat in your room. We always do you can choose for yourself then no need to go hungry. Hope you and your wife have a wonderful time in Barcelona. Kathleen

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just a passing thought but smoothies and soups might be a possibility.

Meat or vegetable broths can be low carbohydrate.

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am planning to take my breakfast mix which I normally cook at home. Fortunately there is a microwave in the room. I can always use this as a late night snack with known carb content.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just come back from Barcelona 2 days ago and I'm T1. I think you should be ok with food. Tapas style is an assortment of small dishes some in sauces. Spanish cuisine in that part of the world isn't very spicy. Paella is another fluid dish that is served in most places either with fish meat or vegetarian.
Hi Neil

As a T1 presumably you use insulin. Do you find yourself having to vary your dosage to cope with the change of diet? Sorry if that's a daft question. I'm only T2 but on medication so may have to think about that. Thanks for the info by the way particularly useful as my wife is veggie!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you have a great holiday, and i suspect that you will find eating out less problematic than you expect.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you had any medical advice on how to help with your dry mouth problems? I'm asking because I used to have a little dog who was on strong diuretics which seriously dehydrated him and completely dried out his poor mouth, and our vet gave us a replacement saliva type spray to moisten it for him to help avoid his food clogging it up.

Robbity

PS Enjoy your special holiday and I hope it all goes well!

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have you had any medical advice on how to help with your dry mouth problems? I'm asking because I used to have a little dog who was on strong diuretics which seriously dehydrated him and completely dried out his poor mouth, and our vet gave us a replacement saliva type spray to moisten it for him to help avoid his food clogging it up.

Robbity

PS Enjoy your special holiday and I hope it all goes well!
Thanks for that thought although the balance of opinion is that there is no real solution to that problem for us humans.