Special Needs Register.......

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When a child is identified as having an educational or a medical need that requires assistance whilst at school the local authority will look at those needs, it may involve social services, psychologist, doctors, other health providers and educators.
If that child fits into the criteria as having a special need, then the local authority have to provide this extra help. It may be that the child will only need minimum assistance for a short period of time, or for whole of eduction period. Some children may not be suitable to enter main stream schooling and have to go to a school suitable for their needs. (All children in UK have to have some eduction by law) some children may need support through entire schooling including university.

Regarding a child with asthma who requires to take an inhaler (my son was also asthmatic), there was a devastating case where a child died of an asthma attack because teacher had a meeting and had no time to call an ambulance ( died 2007 Stockport council was LA) another 12 year old died this year as school had taken his inhaler from him.
If these children had an assistant they might still be alive.

When my son was/is applying for jobs, they look at his qualifications, perhaps his disability (so far it doesn't seem to be an issue). On leaving education the special needs goes, it doesn't go with you for the rest of your life.

The OP's child may only need help until they and the school get a hang of the diabetes, remember when a child goes to school you are handing over a child (I would certainly die for mine) into their care and protection and I for one would want the best that is offered and if it means special needs then so be it
But again, the teachers are already trained, you're saying ops child will die if he isn't registered which isn't the case

Dark Horse

In the UK, the definition of "Special Education Needs" changed in 2014. Previously it had referred only to pupils with learning difficulties but now the Children and Families Act 2014 has broadened the definition to include children with disabilities such as diabetes, epilepsy and asthma. For this reason, sometimes the abbreviation SEND may be used instead of SEN.
http://www.specialeducationalneeds.co.uk/faqs-about-sen.html

However, the Isle of Man has its own laws.

Reactions: Struma
S

Shar67

But again, the teachers are already trained, you're saying ops child will die if he isn't registered which isn't the case

That is not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying that having an assistant is better than just relying on one teacher, the more adults aware of any issues that may arise is better than one person who is also responsible for 20/30 other children

You brought the comparison to an asthmatic child, any child dealing with an illness or disability even ones that are not life threatening deserve to have the best care and protection they can get.

mc9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That is not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying that having an assistant is better than just relying on one teacher, the more adults aware of any issues that may arise is better than one person who is also responsible for 20/30 other children

You brought the comparison to an asthmatic child, any child dealing with an illness or disability even ones that are not life threatening deserve to have the best care and protection they can get.
The child gets that care wig or without the spexial needs register though

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
A Special Needs Register is simply a dressed up list. What's wrong with having a list? We all have lists when things have to be done and checked up on.
People fight to get their child on a Register to ensure that they are properly cared for and educated. T1 diabetes (as I am sure we can all agree) is a serious, potentially life threatening condition, why on earth wouldn't anyone want it to be properly noted by a school?
Sally

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
When a child is identified as having an educational or a medical need that requires assistance whilst at school the local authority will look at those needs, it may involve social services, psychologist, doctors, other health providers and educators.
If that child fits into the criteria as having a special need, then the local authority have to provide this extra help. It may be that the child will only need minimum assistance for a short period of time, or for whole of eduction period. Some children may not be suitable to enter main stream schooling and have to go to a school suitable for their needs. (All children in UK have to have some eduction by law) some children may need support through entire schooling including university.

Regarding a child with asthma who requires to take an inhaler (my son was also asthmatic), there was a devastating case where a child died of an asthma attack because teacher had a meeting and had no time to call an ambulance ( died 2007 Stockport council was LA) another 12 year old died this year as school had taken his inhaler from him.
If these children had an assistant they might still be alive.

When my son was/is applying for jobs, they look at his qualifications, perhaps his disability (so far it doesn't seem to be an issue). On leaving education the special needs goes, it doesn't go with you for the rest of your life.

The OP's child may only need help until they and the school get a hang of the diabetes, remember when a child goes to school you are handing over a child (I would certainly die for mine) into their care and protection and I for one would want the best that is offered and if it means special needs then so be it

So agree... Incidentally... being "labelled" as special needs in school does not mean it continues in to later life!

A CV does not need "special needs" on it etc. Neither do application forms.

To me, I totally agree with above. Special needs does not necessarily mean eductionally wise... just that whilst in education that child may need extra support of some type at some time...

I think of myself as an adult with diabetes and boy in 30+ years I have needed extra help from others.... I wish friends and family would be knowledgeable... but some aren't. If they got extra money somehow to look after me on an odd occasion, without a doubt they would take it and actually be there to help me when needed, and know what to do....

Derekwj37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Firstly please can I say a thank you to you all.

Really a bit wiser about the whole thing now, met with education department, spoke to various parties also.

For the benefit , of others on the hunt for help in the future, I Note as follows:

Currently My Son

Has small class sizes, a teacher, education support staff for the class as a whole, a diabetic nurse who comes whenever asked by school, and parents who help when needed at school; so even now he has support.

My son has a medical need, This is a fact, all Type 1 diabetics do!!

As far as the special needs register goes, my son does not have a special need.

That is a fact!

This register is for very different levels of care, it utilises external agencies behaviourally, educationally, physocologically, etc for educational reasons.

My son does have times, where during hypo, or before/during sports, a need for extra care, but that care, is care by teaching staff in class, and as parents (we go on trips to help, we attend swimming to help), not by external education agencies.

When I met the education department I asked why a special needs registration is being proposed, and the answer simply is that, they don't have register that deals with medical needs, only special needs, which T1 diabetics (on its own) do not have.

I asked, by signing the form, what is gained by putting my son on a register & monitored by external agencies.

The crux is that it is the only way for the school, so they say, to get a few extra pounds for a part time staff member to help at times when my son has a little more care needed. Like before he eats his packed lunch, or when playing or in gym. Essentially no more that 10 hours per week on top of the care he gets. (Bear in mind he is on a pump, has good control, and a Libre )

My response is/was, I don't care if I speak to the chief minister myself, but the funding of a staff member, is a financial constraint of the education department, it is not, and belittles those who should recieve the care and help from the register, a reason to put someone on the special needs register who is not special needs.

Hell I'll even pay for a few hours myself if it helped.

The care he gets now is fantastic, this is not a moan, they really do well & help. And what was agreed in my meeting, is we all have the same common goal, which is my sons best care.

Essentially the teacher is fearful of the condition and making a mistake, where the other teachers in previous years have been more confident, perhaps. The fear no doubt is justified, you all know how hard this condition is, but time dealing with it, support from diabetic team, from us as parents, and yes some funding for a little extra help will improve this. As my son grows from 7; he will become more self sufficient in his care.

What did help was explaining, that this condition, will always be one step ahead of you, no matter how hard we try, it's always in front. We don't get perfection, over the last 4 years we make mistakes, we have highs and lows. All you can do is utilise best care, skill, effort at the time when you are faced with a situation, when we conveyed that, I think it helped.

In the end, the school took back the form, agreed there should be a way to get support for medical needs, without the special needs register, and they are planning to have a re-think.

My advice, do not put someone on the special needs register unless they have special needs, which simply T1 diabetes as a condition is not..........on its own.

Thank to all again,

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My granddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 2 1/2 years and she has never been on a special needs register. Before she could attend nursery school, 3 days a week, all the staff had to be trained about type 1.
She is 8 now and is a happy. normal and a healthy little girl. Special needs is a 'label' and I believe type 1's,whether children, teens or adults don't need this, we live a very normal and active life (unless there are other medical condition's) A care package should be put into place for the child needs in school, because of injections, hypo's and hyper's. School can be a tough enough playground for children as it is and they can be singled out by their peers for being 'different'.

Dark Horse

It's good that the OP has resolved the situation to their satisfaction. However, the OP is from the Isle of Man where the law regarding special needs is different to UK law. Looking at the guidance for parents from the IM government website, it seems that the Isle of Man did not follow the UK in making the change from SEN (special education needs) to SEND (special education needs and disability) in 2014 so any advice they received will only apply to the Isle of Man.

The guidance in the UK makes it clear that most children with Type 1 do not need the extra help afforded by the 2014 act, but as medical needs vary, some children will.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the update @Derekwj37 It's good that the school have taken on board what you've said and are having a rethink :)