Spinning / cycling

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a spinning bike that ive been using. Its great but im a bit stuck at what I should aim for. At the moment I do around 30kph for 10 - 20k depending on how im feeling but im not sure if this is the right way to go about it.
Any suggestions?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess it depends what your goal is. Do you want to get faster or build up endurance ? Your level of fitness seems pretty good so I would vary your workouts between low rate steady long sessions to high intensity intervals. For intervals, consider 30secs sprint, 30 secs rest, do this 10 times flat out and your speed will quickly improve.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never really thought of a goal. At the moment its aiming to improve my fitness / lose weight. I will try the 30 sec intervals though. Thanks:D

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can also try varying the resistance? For example, one minute at resistance 10 at 90 RPM, the resistance 11 one minute, etc etc. As your resistance increases you can either keep the RPM consistent until you fail, or reduce the RPM / build in rest periods (reduce RPM and / or resistance).

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will give it a go! Thanks for the tips.

Any advice on how to stop the seat ..hurting? Been doing this for months now and its still not getting better.

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope, can't help there except to suggest a more comfy saddle!

You could alternate seated cycling with stood up cycling? Turn up the resistance for that.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep trying to stand up but I broke my knee while ago and its still sore.. Its the reason I took up cycling for the none weight bearing..

Ill just keep sitting on a cushion and plodding on!

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will give it a go! Thanks for the tips.

Any advice on how to stop the seat ..hurting? Been doing this for months now and its still not getting better.
Invest in decent cycling shorts.

KarenG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep trying to stand up but I broke my knee while ago and its still sore.. Its the reason I took up cycling for the none weight bearing..

Ill just keep sitting on a cushion and plodding on!

Oh! Sorry, ignore me! Take care of your knee :)

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To increase fitness the bulk of your work should be at an aerobic heart rate, and throw in the intervals sessions no more than once or twice a week, assuming 5-6 sessions a week in total. If you were training for an event the advice would be different.

On those kind of bikes HR is a much more realistic measure of effort than speed for a given duration. On my turbo trainer (road bike on a frame) at home, I work either in power (Watts) or HR.

Don't worry about standing, only useful for hills or sprinting. And when you look for cycling shorts, get women's specific, padding in a different place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people