splits in toes

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
Good morning everyone,
I need some help please, does anyone out there have any idea to what can be used for splits behind toes. I am type 2 diabetic and have an underactive thyroid. meds are metformin x1500 daily plus 1 levothyroxine daily.

advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse just prescribed me a large pot of Aqueous Cream BP and told me to rub it in. It's just a moisturiser.

Since I got my blood sugar under control the problem seems to have gone away. No doubt it will return.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
timps said:
Good morning everyone,
I need some help please, does anyone out there have any idea to what can be used for splits behind toes. I am type 2 diabetic and have an underactive thyroid. meds are metformin x1500 daily plus 1 levothyroxine daily.

advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Hello timps.

With something like this, split skin behind your toes .
It is best to seek medical advice, as if it was to get worse .
Being a diabetic there are risks .

I have had 2 infections start as a split inbetween my toes.
High blood sugar levels 'love' anything like this ...
Ended up needing podiatry treatments and antibiotics.
Best to play safe and seek your GP's advice.

Anna.

WhitbyJet

Agree 100% with Anna, its best to seek medical advice. The splits could be due to fungal infection, circulation problems or eczema, best get a proper diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

I am speaking from personal experience, I once had similar issues, only my toes became infected and it took a long time before things were right again.

timps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
cruelty in any form
Thank you so much for the advice , I will make an appointment at the Doctors to get it checked.
will have to wait for about 5 days to see anyone so hope it will be ok until then .
carole :(

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While you wait for your GPs appointment keep the area clean and dry, moisturisers are ok if the skin is not broken but if it is I would go to a good pharmacist and ask for advice explaining that you are diabetic and how long you have to wait to see the GP Also did you explain that you were diabetic and you had a foot problem when you tried to make the appointment because they are supposed to treat you as priority
CAROL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used to get splits at back of my little toes and flaky skin inbetween, my podiatrist recommended a wipe of surical spirit daily and to put a piece of cotton wool soaked inbetween my toes overnight. Its worked lovely.

However, like other postings.. I wouldalso agree to seek medical advice. If you cant get to see someone at go surgery a pharmacist would be able to advise...

So important to look after our feet.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I had splits between my toes which took a long time to heal and which would easily break open and bleed. This only started when I had to stop having baths and could only shower instead. It's not as easy to reach my feet in the shower as it was in the bath. Sometimes I put the plug in and give them a soak to make sure I remove any powder build-up (see below).

I now dry my toes with a thin microfibre absorbent cloth instead of a thick towel.

I use Daktarin foot powder (not the spray or the cream, the powder) between and behind my toes, very sparingly. When I wash my feet I make sure that any powder residue is removed, not allowed to build up.

On the podiatrist's advice I wipe between and behind my toes with a cotton bud soaked in surgical spirit after I dry them. I've not seen any blood for months, and no soreness at all.

I see the podiatrist because I have difficulty reaching my feet with both hands. I can reach them with either but not both together :roll: Makes nail cutting a bit awkward, so I use a long file in between my 3-monthly podiatrist visits. The podiatrist wanted me to stop using powder but that didn't work. She was most emphatic about not using creams and moisturisers between and behind the toes. I use Flexitol foot balm on the rest.

Hope this helps!

Viv 8)

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh yes, my podiatrist also insisted .. No moisurisers or creams... But to get a 'debs diamond file' for my nails and to smother my nails in vaseline at night to soften them. All 3 items, surgical spirit, the file, the vaseline.. I now 2 months on have the best feet than I have ever had previously.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I never thought of vaseline on my extremely tough toe-nails. Thanks, DD!

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Pure thanks to my most recent podiatrist. Vaseline really does soften and returns nails to lovely condition. I smothe mine before bed or before putting my socks on. They are lovely now.. Not been able to say that in 30+ years...

foreverdelayed

Right, I've made yet another doctors appointment to get my feet checked cos I've noticed some changes but earliest I could get is 3 weeks tomorrow. I've noticed black streaks in my toenails and a black oval shape on the little toenail. Is this diabetes related? Has anyone experienced anything like this? Should I be worried?!?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
Seems this is a common issue. I had a wound on and between my left little toe. This is before I was diagnosed as a diabetic and was prescribed Terbinafine Hydrochloride.
Problems seems to be non existent now so I'm guessing I've had diabetes a good while before actual diagnosis.

As mentioned by others keep the feet clean and dry and consult your GP.

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like athletes foot. Diabetics are supposed to be a bit more susceptible because of the extra sugar in the system. Standard over the counter remedies or consult with a doctor.