sports drinks with type 2 diabetes

skybluestu

can anyone help? i do a lot of interval training at the gym with weights as well and am usually struggling at the end for 15 mins (about 45mins into it) i also run and again about 45 mins in is it safe to drink a sports drink or is there an alternative

Tina2

I was told 2 weeks ago by the nurses never to drink sports drinks just plain lucazade if this is any help.
Tina

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Experiment & test.
Measure your BG at the start & 15 min intervals. Try the drink in a bottle, so you don't feel obliged to drink the whole can. Test when you stop the exercise & 1/2 hour after. It is probably the caffein in the sports drinks that is frowned on.

It depends how intensively you train. I find exercise increases my BG from about 6-8, & then it drops to about 5 after I stop. But my exercise is intermittent - tennis & gym, rather than continuous like running. I suppose my exercise is at a level that allows my body to generate energy from fat reserves. I drink only water or NAS squash during play. I usually have dried apricots at hand if my BG drops below 5.5.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All depends whether your loss of strength towards the end of gym sessions is due to low water / low sugar / low salt levels in your body / blood. Lucozade actually produce a wide range of products, including Lucozade Sport Hydro Active Powder (low carbohydrate, citrus flavour) http://www.lucozade.com/SPORT/default.aspx I have no commercial connections with Lucozade, just found their products useful for my own running, orienteering etc with type 1 diabetes.

ally5555

it sounds as though either you are dehydrated or have low glycogen levels. You need to do lots of testing but probably need to have 10-20g carbs about an hour or so before training - experiment with fruit, wholemeal bread and find the right amount for you.

Please do not drink ordinary lucozade - it has around 16g carbs /100mls.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade?!? For aT2? I have to agree with ally5555 here - that's madness. I use Lucozade HydroActive when I excercise. It's the lowest carb drink that I have found...

iddt01

Can we factor medication in here. Low bg's should not be an issue unless insulin or sulphonylureas are being used.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
iddt01 said:
Can we factor medication in here. Low bg's should not be an issue unless insulin or sulphonylureas are being used.

iddt01
I take your point, up to a point, however ANYONE can suffer with low blood glucose levels, whether a Diabetic or not. That would be very relevant in relation to exercise. It is also not just Insulin and Sulphonylureas either there are other hypo inducing drugs available which can quickly induce low blood glucose levels.

iddt01

Hi Cugila

Sorry to have appeared to over simplify. I was simply trying to factor medication into the equation. I appreciate that other medications can cause hypos eg exanatide. I also appreciate that anyone can suffer with low bg levels - that was not the point I was trying to make! LOL - oh the limitations of posting!

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Patch said:
Lucozade?!? For aT2? I have to agree with ally5555 here - that's madness. I use Lucozade HydroActive when I excercise. It's the lowest carb drink that I have found...

What - ?? Lower than water??

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
skybluestu said:
can anyone help? i do a lot of interval training at the gym with weights as well and am usually struggling at the end for 15 mins (about 45mins into it) i also run and again about 45 mins in is it safe to drink a sports drink or is there an alternative

As I'm about to join a gym next week I asked a similar question by email direct to the Lucozade people. I've just had their reply...on a Sunday evening. :shock:

Thank you for your recent online question regarding the suitability of Lucozade Sport for diabetics.

For everyday use, as an alternative to water, tea or coffee (without sugar), diabetics require drinks which are free from sugars or which contain only low levels of sugars. Lucozade Sport Body Fuel range is specially formulated with 6.4g carbohydrate/100ml and electrolytes (primarily sodium) to help meet the fuel and fluid requirements of exercising individuals. Thus, the carbohydrate content of Lucozade Sport is likely to have an effect on blood sugar.

However, while Lucozade Sport Body Fuel is not necessarily appropriate for use as an everyday drink by diabetics who are not exercising, it can be useful to help keep the blood sugar of diabetics who are exercising stable and prevent it from dropping too low during the activity.

The volume recommended for use by diabetics during exercise depends very much on individual circumstances and the type, intensity and duration of the exercise. I would recommend that you discuss this with your G.P. or diabetic dietitian for more individual advice.

An alternative product that may be of interest is Lucozade Sport Hydro Active. This product is a low calorie fitness drink, designed to hydrate better than water. It is formulated to help keep exercising individuals well hydrated but without the carbohydrate energy (calories) present in traditional sports drinks such as Lucozade Sport Body Fuel.

I hope this clears up any concerns you may have regarding the use of sports drinks.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Chris McManus
Sports Scientist
Lucozade Sport Science Team

For the record, I have no commercial or otherwise connection with Lucozade. The fact that they are delivering a truck load of the stuff to me next week is purely coincidental and for research purposes only. 8)