Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I was going for a walk until my poor demented aunt turned up. She had escaped my uncle. So I calmed her down and walked her home .Not far but a good deed.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp becareful with the power plates they can be sore.

The gym is good for going at your own pace and Ive never been to one thats lycra people. I prefer to get out in the fresh air but its good to have somewhere to go in the winter.

Haha. I will be careful. My teeth were rattling.

The gym programme was recommended by the health trainer. It is NHS, run by nurse. (We know not all nurses are the enemy)! ;)
I was impressed by the instructor, who emphasised that all programmes will be tailor made for each individual, and that nobody should do any exercise they are uncomfortable with.

Ideal for people who, like me, are not able to manage the more conventional forms of exercise. I would much prefer to be out walking miles in the countryside, (even in winter -especially in winter as I find summer sun makes me ill) but as I can't anymore I want to do what I can to prevent further decline. I accept I probably won't be able to make much improvement to my mobility. I do want to stay as well as possible though, so will use it as an addition to my water exercises. I also need to lose weight, desperately!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Only did about 20 minutes walking today (to and from the surgery for blood test). Bit achy after 2 hours gardening yesterday - all our gardening seems to be of the digging and humping variety at the moment, will be nice when we can just look at what we've created.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only did about 20 minutes walking today (to and from the surgery for blood test). Bit achy after 2 hours gardening yesterday - all our gardening seems to be of the digging and humping variety at the moment, will be nice when we can just look at what we've created.
Surely you could 'bank' some of the gardening?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dobby stones. I love them. I found a small one on Chesil Beach which I've strung on a bit of leather cord and wear as a good luck charm. We have some big ones on a rope in garage at home ( why do I still call my mum's house home?) which I think my great gran found in Hartlepool. Apparently they keep the witches at bay and seem to have worked so far.
I remember find lots of them on Dorset beaches years ago. Never did find out how the holes got in them.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Pipp you are doing really well ..remember your ups and downs ..you ve come far.

Sanguine I think gardening is really hard work. I would love a garden thats all lush and green . We have an ugly garage stuck at the side of it , it houses my numb bum machine. Id love it to turn into a summer house
Ive never heard of Dobby stones.

Today I walked around the streets where I live with the youngest daughter ...she didn't even moan lol. We called in to see old auntie on the way home. After a boring day at work it was good to get fresh air.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, inspired by my gym induction yesterday I duly turned up early at the sport centre for my first Pilates class. I had looked forward to this as I had been trying to work it out for myself from a CD and YouTube. Grumpy bloke on reception just said 'its cancelled' no explanation. Most dischuffed. Only other available activity was men only gym session, so they wouldn't let me in. :(

As I had an appointment nearby later I had to kill time stomping around the shopping mall, and console myself buying presents for myself. That was 90 minutes, with short breaks to sit for rests of about 20 mins total.

Afternoon went to my favourite pool for aquafit workout. Before that though, I swam for 15 mins, then noticed a straight pin on the floor of the pool in the deep end. Lifeguard tried to get it it with a big net. Not the best implement., and of course it didn't work. Aquafit class could not go ahead, until Pipp saved the day by diving down to retrieve the pin. It took quite a few attempts, and I am not sure I looked too graceful, but I did get a round of applause. Then we managed 40 mins of aquafit. Shame I have no time for housework. I am loving feeling really fit moving around in the water. Next task is to try to improve mobility on land, but if that is not possible at least I know I am keeping BP and BG in good order.

I will try the gym again tomorrow, and follow it up with a water exercise session. Beats cleaning the house.

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The class would have to be cancelled if they were relying on me to retrieve pin as I don't do getting face wet. I'm a rubbish swimmer and would rather pull my toenails out with said pin than swim.

Today I washed paintwork and cleaned window in kitchen, did spot of ironing on the cooker rings , batch cooked some curry and did 25 minutes peddling. Off to soak in tub now as have hair appointment in morning and then cbt.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The class would have to be cancelled if they were relying on me to retrieve pin as I don't do getting face wet. I'm a rubbish swimmer and would rather pull my toenails out with said pin than swim.

Today I washed paintwork and cleaned window in kitchen, did spot of ironing on the cooker rings , batch cooked some curry and did 25 minutes peddling. Off to soak in tub now as have hair appointment in morning and then cbt.

Ironing on cooker rings?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an Esse woodburning range thing ( think you can do it in any range cooker) with those big metal hob covers - just fold stuff and pop it on them for few minutes and creases drop out, can even do shirts by rubbing them over the hob covers to get to all the bits. Saves dragging ironing board out when I've only a handful of junior's things to do.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an Esse woodburning range thing ( think you can do it in any range cooker) with those big metal hob covers - just fold stuff and pop it on them for few minutes and creases drop out, can even do shirts by rubbing them over the hob covers to get to all the bits. Saves dragging ironing board out when I've only a handful of junior's things to do.
That sounds like my sort of ironing.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Only managed 20 minutes today , work got in the way. Im absolutely shattered tonight, don't know why Im so tired but decided to listen to my body and rest , Ive done a lot recently so missing 20 minutes activity won't harm.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
After the gardening on Sunday I made the mistake of returning to the rowing machine on Monday for the first time since before our holiday, AND took up the stairs and landing carpet in preparation for some decorating. Stiff as a board for the last two days and feel like someone has dead-legged my left thigh. Still done 20-30 minutes walking though.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Just be careful sanguine don't do to much.
Im still feeling a bit below parr so just walked around the streets where I live for 45 minutes.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be careful sanguine don't do to much.
Im still feeling a bit below parr so just walked around the streets where I live for 45 minutes.
That is not like you @Jamrox. Hope you feel better soon.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so very tired, but with good reason.

Yesterday I went to the gym! That still seems weird for me to state, my absolute nemesis, the gym.
Ok, so it was an adapted gym, but it was an hour long session of warm up exercise for ten minutes followed by 40 mins circuit training on various machines, and with hand weights and such. It was amazing. Even more amazing was that most of the people in there were at least 20 years older than me. Some of the exercises hurt, my knees and back but the instructor adapted them to suit me. I missed the ten minute cool down exercise as instructor thought it would be fine for me to use the aqua fit session immediately after it as a cool down. So completed yesterday's exercise with an hour of aqua fit.

Today I had some morning appointments so no gym. Instead, had a couple of short 10 minute walks followed by 20 mins of physio exercise and a 10 minute routine with hand weights which the gym instructor showed me. I ache but feel good otherwise.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
@Pipp you keep me going now. You are doing great . I ve just been reading other posts about low carbs and thought about how my diet has slipped a bit ..smarties !!! Bread with my tea etc ..I wonder if that's why im so tired. Back to recording on my fitness pal tomorrow I think. Oh well its a blip and it stops now.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp you keep me going now. You are doing great . I ve just been reading other posts about low carbs and thought about how my diet has slipped a bit ..smarties !!! Bread with my tea etc ..I wonder if that's why im so tired. Back to recording on my fitness pal tomorrow I think. Oh well its a blip and it stops now.

Oh Jamrox, that is what we are about.
In my case, I originally lost a lot of weight, and got controlled BG which remained so. Once the fears of complications were removed, the impetus to strive to do better was lost.
I believe the dangerous period for any of us is when there has been success. You stop being so vigilant. Add into that any element of stress, (and life generally is chucking lots of stress at people) and you very quickly fall into the trap of careless eating and taking less exercise, then you get the card 'go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200'.
Jamrox, you have recognised you are having a blip, and you will address it. You know the alternative is not worth it.

And yes, you are right, too many carbs do make you feel tired.

Hope tomorrow you get your mojo back.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Been there, done that, got the tea shirt.

No use beating yourself up over yesterday, there is not much you can do to change it. You are only human so do not expect yourself to be perfect all the time... Just most of the time:)

Put it all down to experience and start again.

We all start our fight against diabetes afresh each morning anyway.

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We all start our fight against diabetes afresh each morning anyway.

Pavlos

How true. Something we tend to forget when we have achieved some success with BG. This is for life, but it need not be a chore. Think of how much better we feel when we do have good control of BG, then how tired and lethargic carb consumption makes us feel.