Spots in front of eyes

Sharlieboo

Hi

I don't notice them most of the time and they don't affect my vision but I've noticed that I've got lots of little black spots in front of my eyes when I look at anything bright/light coloured walls etc. I know that my diabetes isn't under control (well it wasn't as per my first diabetic check-up a month ago) and I do recall the nurse saying not to bother with a regular eyetest yet because I'd have glucose floating around in my eyes.

The last few days my eyes have been feeling quite strained/tired and I've noticed the spots more. Still not on a through the day basis but more when getting up in the morning and looking up at the ceiling if that makes sense.

Is this something I can put off speaking with nurse/GP about until my next check at the beginning of May or should I be worried? I haven't received my code from the hospital yet so can't book the diabetic eye test.

Sharlie

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I would have a word with your nurse. And see if you can get an early eye appointment. Or if you get free eye tests, pop into your local opticians tomorrow.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I think you have probably got some work to do on getting your BG levels down and this should make a big difference to you. Not nice to have to cope with but it is probably not too much of a worry as they would have whipped you in if it was urgent. :)

Sharlieboo

Thanks, I'll leave a message at the surgery for the nurse asking her to call me if she feels I need to get it checked out. I've just realised I need to drop a sample in for her on Tuesday in any event so can kill two birds with one stone, so as to speak. I don't know whether I get free eyetests now - haven't done previous to being diagnosed diabetic.

I had thought I was doing well with avoiding sugars and lowering carbs so am feeling a bit low that this is now happening :-(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Oddly enough sometimes the very act of getting the BG under control can make some things seem worse for a while so hang on in there and don't get down hearted! 8)

Giblet

Try not to worry too much before your appointment. It just sounds like "floaters". I have masses of them , but most of the time forget that they are there. It's just bits of dead cells floating around. I'm sure your Nurse / GP will reassure you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Make an appointment at Specsavers. You can do it on-line. they do a retina check too.
Hana

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi Sharlieboo,

when I was first diagnosed, I was sent for retinopathic eye photography. Just prior, I had become more aware than usual of the dark squidges drifiting across my field of vision and was convinced that I had retinal damage due to my diabetes. The photography revealed that my retinas were perfect and that at 53 I still had 20/20 vision. I was told everyone can see floaters and we also look through our eyelashes and see shadows caused by our noses being in our field of vision :lol: . The brain gets used to them and filters them out, such that we ignore them. However, diabetics become acutely aware of them (floaters) intially and hence for a very short time they become a problem. The eye tests are an essential part of your "stay well" program, but just as importantly, they will give you peace of mind.

All the best - Steve.

Sharlieboo

Thanks all. It hasn't caused me a problem at all today so I think I will just wait and mention it at my next check. I can't get the special eye test until I receive a code from the hospital in any event and nurse did deliberately say not to have the standard eye test until my bg is at a 'normal' level - so I'll just sit tight for now.

Thanks once again. Always good to feel reassured!

Libbyloo

Hi Sharliboo,

I've had black floaters in front of my eyes for a number of years (long before I was diagnosed with diabetes) and the optician has always confirmed that all is ok. It may be worth getting an eye test just to check though.
When I went to the optician in late November she discovered my eyesight had deteriorated significantly and suggested new specs. She also suggested I get blood tests done in case I was diabetic and as they say the rest is now history. However, although the glasses she prescribed helped for the first couple of weeks, once I started on medication, they were hopeless and I went back to using my original ones. I went back to see her and she confirmed that it usually takes about 6 months for eyes to settle down once diabetes is diagnosed and arranged for me to have a refund for the glasses that she'd prescribed and suggested to use my old ones for the meantime. She also confirmed that I would be entitled to a free eye test now due to diabetes.

Good Luck,

Libbyloo

Sharlieboo

I'm still getting used to all this... I know the diabetic retinal check should be carried out once a year and is free but does this apply to the standard eye test too? Are both usually carried out at the same time as in normal eye test followed by the retinal scan test?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sharlieboo.
That's what usually happens. Just make sure that any Optician/Opthamologist you go to is on the list of those allowed to carry out Retinal screening as well as normal eye sight tests. I get mine done once yearly, both at the same time.

You have the choice as to where you go.

Ken.