St Johns Wort

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
Hi, I haven't had a very good start to the New Year. I had been feeling anxious for about a week and this ended up in a sort of breakdown. I have seen the doctor and am on an anti-depressant (for anxiety). I am feeling better already but when I have finished the meds (I have enough for a month and am seeing the doctor in 3 weeks) I would like to take St Johns Wort as a natural way to ease anxiety. Does anyone know if it reacts badly with Metformin, Glibenclamide, Pioglitazone, Statin and an aspirin? I have asked a health food company but they aren't qualified to say. I imagine the GP won't know either as St Johns Wort is probably not on their list of recommended medicines. If anyone knows I would be glad to hear. Thanks.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
The best person to ask if there are any contra-indications with your Meds and St John's Wort is YOUR Pharmacist. Highly qualified to answer you.

We do not keep records of those things here as it is a herbal remedy. Is there any mention of it in the Patient Information leaflet of each drug ?

Angela09

Dislikes
Hi, thank you for the replies. I have read the links and I think I will have to ask my GP. I would normally buy herbal remedies from a health food shop as I am not sure if a chemist would sell it? If I could buy it from a chemist I could ask the pharmacist. According to the links it can actually cause anxiety! I am feeling a bit better now as the anti-depressant are working but I don't want to be on medicines longer than I have to (apart from the diabetes ones of course!).

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Angela, I was taking SJW on diagnosis. You absolutley must speak to your HP's, but for the record my GP told me that there was an issue with taking SJW along with Metformin and I stopped them immediately.

Regards Steve

C

catherinecherub

Hi Angela,
If you do decide to go to a chemist then it might be an idea not to bother with Boots,

http://nhsblogdoc.blogspot.com/

Boots do not even put them in the pharmacy section. They are with the herbs and supplements so you would have to take it to the pharmacy to ask any questions.

Angela09

Dislikes
Hi, I am on the highest dose of SR Metformin so I probably shouldn't take SJW in that case. Thank you all for the replies. I shall have to research and see what else I can find.