Staggering (also called running)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Uggs mornings....Today l started learning to stagger so l can do the race in August, sorry l mean run.

Doing 20sec walk 20 sec run etc around the bloack all this week then step it up a bit each week.

My hub came with me he used to run a lot and walked all the way while l did a sort of imitation run ... l can not believe what l did was a run but l am sweating buckets so l did something other than gasp and groan
wacko2.gif

l really really don't like running. Have to work out how to deal with the mental attitude...oh well l have learnt how to deal with a lot worse *sighs*

Hub did say to keep in mind this is day 1 so till at least quite a lot longer has gone on l will continue to feel *** am l doing while l gasp for breath and stagger, if there was any doubt that l was slightly insane it went the moment l took up this jogging malarky...l am totally nuts
sarcastic.gif

MID

Reactions: 3 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Well done. I'm starting my training today as running a 5k race for life in June. Keep up the good work :D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Nuttybeaver what are you doing for your training and are you used to running or a lot fitter than me so you can set out from the starting gates at a run not a stagger?

At least if it comes to that we can support each other with our aims :)

MID

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Running is always tough to start with MID but you'll soon see the gains and steady progress ! Nice going !

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MID I'm a staggerer too! Started in June but due to lack of goal, lack of motivation, general laziness and fear of hypos I have failed miserably to progress. Having the tough mudder will be a fab goal for you to head towards!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
We both got good goals, l think the secret is having something to aim for.....

MID

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
MUHAHA :woot:

Well done, it gets easier i swear, the trouble is just as it gets easier you push harder lol

i watched a thing on you tube yesterday about eddie izzard he ran 43 marathons back to back, from hardly any training at all, its amazing what we as humans are capable of, its called eddie iz running http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ediie+iz+running&sm=12

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I'm sure you'll start to find it easier and easier as time goes on. If you stick with it, you'll be amazed at what you'll be able to do! Woooooo go you :D

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
MID on the race for life is a chart that's aimed at non runners wanting to run 5K, it's called couch to 5K you can download to your phone too.

I'm definitely not a natural runner & haven't run since school, 30+ years ago. We can do it :D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Oh will have a look at that thanks :-D You same school boat as me we are the winners ... or insainers :)))
Not looking forward to the morning it is chucking it down here tonight

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
strangely i dont feel the weather when running, definatly dont feel the rain

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MID you're taking exactly the right approach.

If you have one, dig out your old heart rate monitor and start with HR based training to build your base fitness. If you don't have one, buy one.

A good starting point is 180-age for an aerobic max. Be hard with yourself, stick to it, even if it means a brisk walk. You'll soon find that you can extend the run adn reduce the walk

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Dave will do. I haven't run for the last 2 days but it wasnt cause l was giving up. On Wednesday at about 21:00 l said to a friend oh ok stick me on for 06:30 boot camp and my regular Saturday pvt PT session was moved to today. But after this l am just doing out early morning session and then the rest of the week is running no more boot camp l hated it. To noisy and the guy (part time trainer) that trains it is a t....

I do a min of 30mins per night on the exercise bike I want to build it to an hr but l also do other exercises as well with kettlebell, abb thingy and general no equipment ones after my bike.

I contacted the inov8 about the shoes and they said that they thought the Baregrip 200 may suit me more and reading up reviews looks brilliant. I found a supplier where they are £54 on sale so going to ring them and see if they will hold a pair until next Saturday so l can go try them on at that price. Am not buying till l try though.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
MID, if I can do it, you can do it!
I started running/staggering/floundering around in September. It took a while, but it does get easier.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
New shoes have arrived :happy: and so far just in the house they are interesting. Bit confused by the inov8 bare grip all the comments said you feel all the studs under your feet on the hard. I have been jumping up and down in the slate tile kitchen floor and running on the spot but can not feel them! proof if it was needed l am obviously not human.

Slight problem with the inov8 bare for road work the tongue is folded down one side and fiddly to put on. l think the paper was shoved in tight and they folded under, so wearing them while looking at tv seeing if that works to sort of unfold. They were the last size 5 and to be honest if l can do without the hassle of sending them back, l would prefer that l use them.

I also have the inner sole out of both. Again it seems everyone else keeps them in l find it gives a bit more space as my feet are very broad will see how that goes.

My poddy also said what you said don't wear shoes in get ones that fit properly in the first place. Very novel l always thought you had to wear them in but l can see the logic of it when explained in easy words

I was thinking l don't have a heart rate monitor as such other than the one on the bike l don't rate much, but if l stuff my stethoscope under my t** and ear pieces in l can sit and count my hr while doing the exercise bike

MID

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Not at the moment but they moan about cold when thudding so got a choice cold or see how these go. However sitting with a shoe on has truly peeved Nelson

nymple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New shoes have arrived :happy: and so far just in the house they are interesting. Bit confused by the inov8 bare grip all the comments said you feel all the studs under your feet on the hard. I have been jumping up and down in the slate tile kitchen floor and running on the spot but can not feel them! proof if it was needed l am obviously not human.

Slight problem with the inov8 bare for road work the tongue is folded down one side and fiddly to put on. l think the paper was shoved in tight and they folded under, so wearing them while looking at tv seeing if that works to sort of unfold. They were the last size 5 and to be honest if l can do without the hassle of sending them back, l would prefer that l use them.

I also have the inner sole out of both. Again it seems everyone else keeps them in l find it gives a bit more space as my feet are very broad will see how that goes.

My poddy also said what you said don't wear shoes in get ones that fit properly in the first place. Very novel l always thought you had to wear them in but l can see the logic of it when explained in easy words

I was thinking l don't have a heart rate monitor as such other than the one on the bike l don't rate much, but if l stuff my stethoscope under my t** and ear pieces in l can sit and count my hr while doing the exercise bike

MID

I was eyeing up a pair of inov8 shoes as my 2 stone weight loss reward. Partially becuase I'm thinking of starting running again, partially because they were suggested to also be good for plyometrics which I do a lot of and partially (maybe the biggest part) becuase they were so pretty. You'll have to let me know how you get on with them?

Also I had a very vivid image of your stethoscope exercise bike solution... I got the giggles so much, it really tickled me for some reason! Maybe because I could imagine myself doing something similar and getting in a right muddle. Thank goodness I have a Heart Rate Monitor, I would probably injure myself attempting to combine a stethoscope and any exercise. Thank you for making me chuckle this morning though :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
;) Nimple where l come from we had a saying "make a plan" :p

If you want inov8 or other shoes have a look at sports shoes. to buy them at very cheap about half price.
However be warned they are very low almost on the ground and most folks use shoes for normal life and you do have to adjust to them. I am a barefooter so for me not a problem. A friend said l probably didn't feel the lugs under the baregrip as l am so used to rocks and stones underfoot which is a good comment.
Don't go for shoes because they are pretty go for fit and feel and usefulness.