Starbucks Latte with Soya Milk and sugar free syrups.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Just been out and about when No1 child dragged me into Starbucks! Initially I assumed nothing here for me as I like a Latte.So asked the barista do you have lactose free milk.He said no sorry, but his girlfriend is type 1 and brings in her own, which is a good idea.Anyway he suggested soya milk which they have and also three sugar free syrups! Can't remember all the flavours but hazelnut was one of em.This is worth a try methinks.I don't like soya milk in tea, but in this case as if by magic it was better than my usual latte fix,really good.Didn't opt for syrup, as it was expensive enough anyway
So a real find. I reckon 200 ml of soya milk as it was a medium, so say 68 calories and say 1g carbs. As a newbie I stand to be corrected on those numbers as I am assuming it was unsweetened soya milk, just realised that eek.Will double check next time.I never buy cake or cookies there so didn't ask re low carb options.

More and more I am coming to the conclusion that people are ingenious and will find ways to get as close as they can to a pre diabetic experience without the carbs, as demonstrated by the recipes on this forum.Just gonna make oopsie bread now, BLT for breakfast!!!

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Awwww nuts!!! Mebbe it's time to lobby a big outfit like Starbucks to change that then. With all the milk they get through every day in each outlet,surely a few cartons of unsweetened soya milk isn't a big ask???? They are doing sugar free syrups after all.
However if it was sweetened soya milk it looks like a few more calories and maybe 6g carbs, I can live with that once in a while.
Tested 6.7 before I went out and it's about 2 hrs 15 mins since I scoffed said coffee 6.3 so does not seem to have done too much harm.
Diagnosed 4 weeks ago with HbA1c 75 which is about 9 so I am encouraged as well as lighter.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Double cream. Tastes so sweet but isn't. Single cream will do. Surely they have cream? I've never been in a Starbucks for economic reasons.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I generally avoid them, due to their reluctance to furnish George Osborne with an appropriate percentage of their profits.Gave in to the teenage pestering, and thought I would check it out.Am out and about with work and do like a decent coffee, will try Costa and Cafe Nero too,see if they have unsweetened soya milk.
Whilst on the subject does lactose free milk not solve the entire problem, unless there are other sugars in cows milk I am unaware of.Can't get on with unsweetened soya milk in tea which is what I generally have at home.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst on the subject does lactose free milk not solve the entire problem, unless there are other sugars in cows milk I am unaware of.Can't get on with unsweetened soya milk in tea which is what I generally have at home.
If you ask Mr Google about carbs in lactose free milk you'll find there are arguments which say there is just as much glucose in lactose-free as in ordinary milk. The glucose doesn't go anywhere - it just separates from the lactose. Apparently.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, that was lazy. This is what I found
"What you're missing is the assumption that sugars have been removed. Lactose intolerance is generally caused by the lack of lactase, the enzyme that splits lactose into it's components, galactose and glucose. They don't remove anything when they make the lactose free milk, they add lactase. This splits the lactose into galactose and glucose, and technically the milk is now lactose free. But the component sugars are all still there. My guess is that you'd be better off drinking regular milk because the lactose is "pre-digested" and probably raises your blood sugar faster than regular milk."
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum...containing-lactose-free-milk-both-12g-sugars/

Reactions: 2 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks DeejayR,thought it was too good to be true!!! Got some Alpro Soya light which says it is 0.1 g carb per 100ml.May just have to put up with it or become an aficionado of speciality black coffee.
Cheers for the input.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't state any of this as fact. The only milk I drink occasionally is unsweetened almond, when I can get it on offer.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With you on that.Bought the Branded Alpro Soya light from Sainsbury's because it says 0.1 g carbs per100ml.Cost £1.49 from memory.Aldi Acti leaf unsweetened soya either 59p or 69p can't remember.It says less than 0.5g per 100ml.Probably the same.Lesson get herself to Aldi or Lidl after all the Germans won't stand for any rubbish.

Reactions: 2 people