Started Metformin. What BG's should I aim for?

Paperdos

Hi everyone,
Well, I was diagnosed 26th Sept. I had 2 diabetic nurse appointments and was told at the last one not to see her again for 3 months. Is that right? Abandoned for 3 whole months!
The only diet advice I was given was 'eat healthy, carbs with every meal & watch the amount of grapes i eat.' Wow! What perfectly useless information.
Anyway, been watching my BG's since no-one else has. Was not getting lower than 8, after meals about 14.9. So, not happy about waiting 3 months, I made an appointment to see a doctor. I explained to her that my mother was on metformin, gliclazide for years when really they should have put her onto insulin, she was uncontrolled for about 4 years, consequences not good.
She had no pulse in her right foot so they decided to amputate from below the knee, 2 days later she died of a massive heart attack.
All because they didn't control her diabetes & BG's properly, so the medical profession was not in my good books. So, for the diabetic nurse to say see you in 3 months I was fuming.
Anyway, the GP agreed with me, with what happened to my mum & my BG's still high no matter how good i've been food-wise, she put me on 500mg x 3 daily - which, surprise, surprise is doing the trick nicely. Highest now has been 8.
Only thing about Metformin i find is that with Crohn's disease it adds to my loo trips if you know what I mean, Loperamide to the rescue!! That with the nausea, not nice.
The doc also put me on a new diet pill, Reductil. Been overweight since having my son 5 years ago, with a catalogue of medical conditions it's made weight loss extremely difficult. So, i'll give Reductil a go & let you all know how I get on with it. Lose weight hopefully!

:D

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Hi paperdos welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed in August and had one meeting with diabetic nurse but told to ring in with blood results for the following 2 weeks, then told that would not see them for 3 months but also advised to ring if I ever needed advice. I got the same advice re carbs, grapes and also that I could have a portion of 5 strawberries at most :!: I am on metformin 2 x 500 and that has helped reduce bg a bit but the thing that is really helping me at the moment is cutting down significantly on carbs. I still have a little with every meal but since doing this bg gone down from 8-10 in morning to 7 or lower and in the evening it used to range from 5-10 depending on what I had been doing but for last couple of days it has been around 5.6 which is brilliant :D I've been lucky and metformin has had the opposite effect on me and sometimes I need a stick of dynamite :twisted: Anyway this forum has loads of people with lots of experience and advice and everyone is always ready to help so hope you manage to get sorted out soon.
Chris :idea: :D

Paperdos

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Great to hear good results. Well, I was hoping for drastic results with the Metformin, now i'm not so sure. I've got the GI diet book and have been taking notes out of that. But, just out of interest what have you been eating that is low - no carb? I've been doing my best, but like everyone carbs have been in my diet since childhood so it's really difficult trying to think what to have that isn't.
I'm all for managing my conditions the best I can, of course all the meds i'm on are bound to be affecting my liver which is in poor condition anyway with NASH - Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis. I understand from reading other posts on here that it's the liver that dumps the glucose. So with a damaged liver how does that work??
I look forward to any comments.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Hi

I'm not sure how it all works with the liver because I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver and an enlarged spleen - still waiting to see what the fallout is for that those!

All I have been doing is cutting down carbs so instead of having 2 slices of toast I will have half or one slice, I have cut out porridge/cereal etc and started having bacon, eggs, tomato or mushroom, and have cut back on spuds, rice, pasta so that I am only eating half of what I was having before. Although I have just seen dietician for first time today and she said that she thought I was cutting down too much and to try and eat a bit more carb so I may try it for a week and see what happens but if BG goes up I can guarantee my carb intake will be going down :D

Chris

cjohnson

Dislikes
When I saw doc the other day she said one of the treatments for fatty liver is metformin so I think we are OK as long as fatty liver is because of diabetes and not over enthusiastic alcohol intake and has not moved on to the damaged stage eg cirrhosis. See below for bit from the website that you referred us to. I agree it certainly shouldn't be used if kidneys are affected in any way but below seems to indicate it OK (at the moment!).

Metformin also modestly reduces LDL and triglyceride levels.[15]

It is also being used increasingly in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS),[16] non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)[17] and premature puberty

Will check with doc as going back to see her next week re conversation she has had with liver consultant re enlarged spleen - been told to make a non-urgent appt so hoping that means all treatable/reversible - will let you know :roll:
Chris

cjohnson

Dislikes
Yes I can see exactly and it is so nice to know that there are so many people on here who care enough to point me in the right direction for things. Will def keep in touch and will post when I have seen doc again. 8)
Chris

Trinkwasser

cjohnson said:
Yes I can see exactly and it is so nice to know that there are so many people on here who care enough to point me in the right direction for things. Will def keep in touch and will post when I have seen doc again. 8)
Chris

Fatty liver can be a complication of diabetes and can resolve to some degree with decent BG control

(think how they make pate de foi gras for examples of things NOT to eat)

Paperdos

I was told I had fatty liver sometime last year, long before I was diagnosed Diabetic, so I don't know if they are linked.

Trinkwasser

Paperdos said:
I was told I had fatty liver sometime last year, long before I was diagnosed Diabetic, so I don't know if they are linked.

Considering "diabetes" is usually only diagnosed after many years of high but "not diabetic yet" BG it's very likely, most Type 2s have significant complications by the time they are finally diagnosed.