Started today but a little worried.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Diagnosed 2004 ish, Type2, 63yr old, overweight but find exercise difficult with also having unstable Angina and on Warfrin.
I am on 2000mg of metformin also glictizide, taking nearly 40 pills a day for numerous problems, the side effects are pretty bad, if i forget medication for just one day i feel 100% better.

So i really want to lose, need to lose a couple of stone, so is anyone else doing this diet that is on other meds apart from their dietetics stuff.

Thanks

Reactions: Peerless67

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take heart and blood pressure medication,been on the Newcastle regime,since 31st of November off all diabetic medication now and lost 2st I am having bloods taken on the 20 th and seeing the diabetic nurse on 28th I am hoping to reduse more medication then too ,this has got to be my new life for good not just for Christmas.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi there Christine, hope you are feeling good and thank you for your reply.
Can i ask, did you cut down on your Diabetic meds off your own back or did you get approval from Diabetic nurse or doctor, i am afraid to even mention this kind of diet at my surgery in case they Poo Poo the whole thing and i have to live the rest of my life feeling the way i do now.
I know i can do this diet, i dieted on the Atkins diet before i was diagnosed as diabetic, that was long before and at that time i lost over 2 stone.
Yesterday Christine i started with meal replacement and it was easy because i hate having normal breakfast, especially when on waking my blood sugar is at over 27, really don't want to make breaky, then do my insulin, then take metformin, Glictizide and all the other meds for High blood pressure, Angina and whatever else lol.

Anyway started yesterday, had My shakes either chocolate or strawberry through the day, then last night i had Cauliflower Mash topped with just a very little cheese and some Tinned salmon, today i wake up and my Blood sugars although not ideal are at 11.2, whats that all about 27's usually in the morning, so you can see why i am afraid to tell the surgery, what if they are against me making this change, after all they and the big Pharmaceuticals make lots of money out of us diabetics lol.

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry I have not replied sooner,I had a hypo when I first started the Newcastle so I rang the diabetic nurse and explained I wanted to stop my medication she agreed and ordered me extra testing strips to test more often and if the levels started to raise to go back on the meds.not needed any meds since beginning of November smile:D

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I started the Newcastle 31st of October not november

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Christine well chuffed this morning, took Blood levels this morning and i have a reading of 9.9, again i know this isn't ideal but it is coming down each day, this is day three of my diet and feeling more like the ol me again, had the coley mash again last night thinking of something didderent this evening but not sure what yet.

Jim

laharvey999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Decided to try the Newcastle diet and it was recommended I use the slimfast shakes. Greatly disappointed the carb/sugar content is 23gm

Started this morning and find nyBG has gone form 9.7mmol to 13 this morning. Can anyone tell me am I wasting my time?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think so. The Newcastle diet is a very low calorie diet. It is designed to mimick having a gastric band fitted and limit the amount of food you eat. The aim of the diet is to lose fat in the liver and pancreas, basically by near starvation. It does take a week for your BG levels to drop though. The liver and pancreas store various intermediate stages between fat store and blood glucose, fatty acids, triaglycerides and, when you stop eating carbs, it draws on these to create new glucose. It's a process called gluconeogenesis.

23g per shake is not a lot of carbs. A medically controlled 'very low carbohydrate diet' is only 30g a day so if you are having 3 shakes, it is still only 69g per day. Your brain requires about 120 g per day, about 60% of your whole body's needs. If you don't eat that amount, it will extract it from your own body.
Section 30.2 Each Organ Has a Unique Metabolic Profile

Things should settle down after a week or so.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Give it more time than one shake.
As the weight comes off, and you deplete your glucose stores, you're see the difference.

pembers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Being unhealthy
I am amazed at how many people have grabbed the bull by the horns and started on the ND. Well done to you all. It is not easy but the benefits far out weigh the costs.
Now into the 4th week on ND. Have come through some difficult periods but managed to carry on. Have lost about 1.5 stone in the last 3 weeks, plus another 1 stone prior to the diet through exercise. Weight loss has started to slow down now. I expect it will continue to do so as I carry on with the diet. Feeling OK but tired especially after any exercise. I have cut the number of shakes down to 2 per day but have increased the amount of veggies I eat in the evening to about 350grms. Drinking lots of water, black tea & coffee, diet coke etc. I stopped taking medication (Metformin) after the second week. Blood glucose levels have stabilised between 4-5mmol/l with just the occasional 'blip' after over indulging on veggie curry. The fasting blood glucose levels are all within this range even allowing for 'liver dump'. I hope to be able to continue on the diet for between 6-8 weeks but I am concerned about what to do next. How do you know when the ND has been successful? Does anyone who has been through this regime have any advice? Could anyone direct me to any web sites that could give some advice on this?

Reactions: Peerless67

Centurion

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 73 years old 5ft 8in tall medium build and have been declared Diabetic for about 6 years.

My HbA1c in January 2014 was 57 mmol/mol and had been steadily creeping up so I decided to try the Newcastle Diet which I had read a lot about, rather than go on medication, which I was desperate to avoid. I asked my doctor if he was able to prescribe the shake (Optifast) which was used in the research and he said he could not, so I decided to go it alone.

Before leaving for Florida where I have a home I rang the University and spoke to one of Professor Taylors research assistants I explained that I was going to be in Florida from September until April where a large variety of diet shakes were available and asked whether it was possible to use one of any of a number of which I suggested, She explained that it wasn't necessary to use Optifast as this was only used as it was supplied free by Nestle, so I chose Glucerna by Abbot made particularly for diabetics, surprisingly even "Slimfast" was considered OK despite its high sugar content !!

When I left the UK my weight was 182 lb I decided to try and lose a bit before I started the diet and it was 179 lb when I started on 27th January 2014 my initial target was 165 lb and then hopefully to 160 lb, I the intend to try and keep it between 160 lb and 165 lb. dieting for a day or two if it became too high.

The lowest fasting blood glucose I have on record was from a B.U.P.A. medical in 1995 when it was 5.6mmol/l recently however it has been circa 7.7mmol/l.

To date following the diet religiously my weight has dropped to 162.3 lb a loss of over nearly17 lb and my fasting Blood sugar in the range of 3.7mmol/l to 4.9mmol/l, never before have I achieved reading as good as this so you will appreciate how pleased I was!

I find the diet boring rather than difficult and decided to give it a break for a day or two, I was doing a Dinner Party for some friends and though I would partake in some of the food, so a couple of days before the dinner I decided to get my stomach used to something more than soup, shakes and salad and introduced some toast with the soup and tuna or lean chicken with the salad.

The theme for the Dinner Party was "A Taste of England" Salmon Mousse with Melba toast. Steak, Ale & Mushroom pie ( Newcastle Brown Ale) of course followed by Queen of puddings, naturally having cooked it all I ate it all!

The following day (Sunday) having suffered cramp in my lower legs continuously all night I felt exceptionally tired all the next day and only had a couple of shakes and a Tuna salad.

The whole point of mentioning this is on Monday 24 February feeling extremely well!! I decided to take my fasting blood sugar and was blown away that it was unexpectedly high at 6.9mmol/l at 7.30am. I was, extremely disappointed and disillusioned at this result, I decided to miss breakfast and go for a 14 mile bike ride ( usually do 8-10) and to test my fasting sugar again, at10.00am it was down to a very satisfactory 5.1mmol/l!! (My BS previously has always gone down after exercise.)

From the 24th February to date I have had a number of unexpected blood sugar readings:- Tuesday 25th Feb at 8.19am my fasting BS was 6.0mmol I was expecting something in the region of 5.0mmol I decided to go for a bike ride as exercise always lowers my blood sugar as it had on the 24th Feb to my utter amazement it was raised to 6.3mmol thinking I must not have checked properly I took it again 2 minutes later from a new batch of test strips it was even higher at 6.8mmol, I have no idea why this should be!! and can only assume it is not sensible to test immediately after exercise. Monday 3rd March my fasting BS was again satisfactory at 5.3mmol and I have a range of Pre- Prandial reading ranging from 6.3mmol to a high of 8.0mmol, rather confusing! Here in Florida Bayer produce a Home testing kit for Hba1c and I intend to use it before I return to the UK on 10th April I will then wait a full 90 days from my last NHS test before I ask the doctor to retest.

All in all I am pleased with what I have achieved to date, just confused by some of the more unexpected readings and will continue to diet until I achieve my target of 160 lb which I believe is reasonable for my age and build, my trousers are already hanging of my waist and I don't want to by a new wardrobe.

Not sure going it alone without any access to my UK doctor was a sensible thing but I feel exceptionally well and my blood pressure has also dropped from a high of 150/85 when I left the UK to about 117/65 which I am pleased about.

I would urge anyone contemplating this regime to download and read the "Banting Memorial Lecture 2012" by Professor R. Taylor as it makes very encouraging reading.

Hope the reader finds my experience encouraging, It's not easy! but then nothing worthwhile ever is.

Centurion

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Decided to try the Newcastle diet and it was recommended I use the slimfast shakes. Greatly disappointed the carb/sugar content is 23gm

Started this morning and find nyBG has gone form 9.7mmol to 13 this morning. Can anyone tell me am I wasting my time?

No! Keep it up!,
I contacted Newcastle University and spoke to a Research Assistant regarding which shake to use I was told they only used Optifast because it was supplied free by Nestle. I asked if Slimfast was OK as I was concerned about the high sugar content 18g sugar! I was advised it was perfectly OK, I am currently in Florida where there are a large variety of shakes available I generaly use Glucerna which is made specificaly for Diabetics but use Slimfast in the morning because I burn it off during an 8 - 10 mile bike ride.

The Newcastle Diet worked for me in about 5 weeks. (See my Post) so keep it up!!

Centurion

Reactions: 2 people

yanto888

Started on a low calorie diet a week ago, not shakes but lots of vegetables roasted in coconut oil. Was on Glicazide and metformin but stopped them, lost 10 lbs in first week, blood sugars down from 11 and 12 to 7.0 fasting in the morning. Not easy sticking to the diet , but the side effects from the drugs were doing me in