1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Statins, guidelines, GPs (from the Guardian)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by LittleGreyCat, Aug 3, 2017.

1. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

First the link:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society...ver-75-eligible-for-statins-analysis-suggests
    which suggests that under new guidelines almost ever male over 60 fits the criteria to be prescribed statins.

Now for the double edges sword!:)

"Commenting on the paper, Professor Helen Stokes-Lampard, chair of the Royal College of GPs, said:"

Which is the party line (which many here may not agree with). However she also says

Which is a polite way of saying that the new guidelines are almost certainly wrong.

You go, Girl!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

She is right to say the risk calculator needs work doing on it.

I have just typed in Female aged 70 with perfect cholesterol ratio, BP and BMI and no other health issues. The risk score is above the magic 10%. so she would be offered statins. Simply because of her age.

Have a play
    https://qrisk.org/2017/index.php

3. carol43

carol43 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Using the QRISK2 mine is 13% with T2 but only 7.4% without. Why would my well controlled BG make me a bigger risk.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

I asked the GP that question. She mumbled something about it being because CV damage had probably already been done prior to being well controlled.

5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Because statistics?

As in they average out all the T2s including the ones with really major health issues and come up with a "one number fits all" score.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook