Stem Cells from Milk Teeth

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was wondering if anyone has used a company to store the stem cells from fallen milk teeth? There is a lot of research regarding stem cells and their ability to re-generate. Storing the stem cells from milk teeth offers a second chance if you didn't save them from the Placenta.

Have only done very limited research into this at the moment so would be interested to know if anyone has taken this up. As parents, we would do anything to give our children the best possible chance of finding a cure. This looks to be very expensive (approx. £2k for 25 years storage) and I'm already suspect of some of the companies that I've found...what if they go bust or have an ulterior motive in obtaining the stem cells?

Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are we doing with the saved stem cells? Because my immune system has already killed off my insulin producing beta cells and I'm strongly GAD positive, so if you put more in, my immune system is pretty determined to kill them off too. Unless you have a tip on a t1d cure within 25 years I'm not sure what good any saved stem cells are really going to be.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't heard of that @T1Dad I did consider umbilical blood storage but couldn't afford it.

I would look into the feasibility of milk teeth cell use, if I was you, as as with everything where there's money to be made we have to remain ultra-cautious.

Edited to add that a quick google suggests companies are still pushing milk teeth storage even if umbilical/placental cells have been stored. Approach with caution and try to find objective opinions.

Reactions: T1Dad

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was wondering if anyone has used a company to store the stem cells from fallen milk teeth? There is a lot of research regarding stem cells and their ability to re-generate. Storing the stem cells from milk teeth offers a second chance if you didn't save them from the Placenta.

Have only done very limited research into this at the moment so would be interested to know if anyone has taken this up. As parents, we would do anything to give our children the best possible chance of finding a cure. This looks to be very expensive (approx. £2k for 25 years storage) and I'm already suspect of some of the companies that I've found...what if they go bust or have an ulterior motive in obtaining the stem cells?

Thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

These companies are just "businesses" at the end of the day. With disgruntled "Joes" running the warehouse?
Policies in practice change with the wind in any firm. I worked for a local (to me.) furniture storage company that wouldn't fix the roof, resulting in water damaged stock from another high end furniture company that used our "services" for overflow?
Needless to say we lost their custom.
On a personal note it was fun working there..

I think what I'm trying to say is along with ethics coming into play. The tech has to be there too? ;)

Lol, we all have hope.. My milk teeth have long gone. And I didn't even get a "visit" from the tooth fairy..

Reactions: T1Dad

T1Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks all, it's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on this. @Jaylee nice leftfield response...I once worked in a well known shoe warehouse. They worked us like dogs but now that I look back on it, it was a great laugh....no stress.

Back to topic. I have no idea what they would do with the stem cells or even how they could help in the future. But it's another chance, however small, that something could be done. £2,000 is a hell of a lot of money but over 25 years is basically one night out less per year. Therefore, that takes the cost out of the equation. Meaning that you have nothing to lose but potentially something to gain.

I'm still firmly on the fence on this one but have a few months before milk teeth start falling. Will research it to death :bookworm:

Reactions: azure