Steroids - Update: Nov 17th

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

As everything else involving my pregnancy is completely out of my control at the moment, I'm trying to prepare myself for what I can! All being well and if the baby has more fluid and we make 24 weeks, I'll be given steroids to help prepare the baby for birth.

I don't really know what this involves?

I can have steroids can't I? I read somewhere that someone wasn't given them as they were a type 1 diabetic?

If I can have them how do you control your sugar with them as I'be heard it makes your sugar rise dramatically!!

Thank you x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sarahkylie88 A number of ladies have had steroids here, but I can't remember their names. You could try a search as there have been threads recently.

Yes, in general diabetic ladies can have steroids if needed. They can make your blood sugar high and sometimes ladies need to be put on a sliding scale to control that. They're usually given in hospital so you can be monitored closely. I remember a lady saying the injections weren't particularly nice, but they can be really helpful for babies lung development, so totally worth it if needed.

I hope all's going well for you. Every day passing is a good thing xxx

Reactions: 2 people

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sarahkylie88 ive had steroids both times. First time as I had pre eclampsia and daughter delivered prem second times as twins were being delivered prem. Yes they hurt a bit. You have two injections 12 hours apart. It didn't hurt as much with the twins maybe I was expecting it? It helps with lungs. Although two out of my 3 still had to have support on the neonatal unit and my twin boy was seriously ill so was glad I'd had them. They can make your sugars rise but I didn't really have any impact just had to monitor them every hour and remained on my pump. Try not to worry xx

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I haven't had steroids but my midwife told me that I would still be able to have them should it be necessary for baby. She said the risks for mum need to be outweighed by the needs for baby as it causes highs for blood sugars. She said that if I needed them it would be as in inpatient so that they could help monitor control. Hope they helps x

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your replies, I've spoken to my dsn too and she said to increase my basal if needed.

I'm ok, still hanging on! Nearly 24 weeks now. I've had a couple of scares in the form of bleeds, but we're still here!! Back in Liverpool on Thursday, so we will find out what the plan of action is then! Sugars have been ok which is a blessing, couldn't have coped with them being all over the place too! X

How's things with you Amy? X

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My fingers are crossed for you every day that goes by has to be a blessing. I'm good been feeling tired and a bit sick. My sugars have never been so good. I have a dating scan on Friday can't wait to see something. Xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you're still hanging on @Sarahkylie88 was thinking about you today and thought I would pop on to see if there was any updates, so glad I saw this :) I personally did not need to have steroid injections but have read many times on here that ladies have so don't worry yourself and add to your stress. Keeping my fingers crossed for you tomorrow xx

Kateyo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I had to have steroids as I was having a lot of hypos and having to drop my insulin late in pregnancy so I think they put it down to possible failing placenta. As above you get 2 and they're 12 hours apart. I didn't really find them that sore if that helps. Sugars will go up, I was on a temp basal rate for a few days to cover it and managed on that ok. Definitely the pump was a blessing with the steroids. Try not to worry about what might happen, just take each day at a time and rest and look after you and baby. Hope everything goes ok xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!

I'm almost 27 weeks now! Had a scary few days last week where I was in labour and delivery for the night as they weren't happy with the baby's heart rate and there was talk of emergency c sections!

I'm a week in from that now and things have stabilised (sort of)
I had my steroids last week and I'd say after the 2nd dose I was in places I was +400% on my normal basal rate! It really did mess with my sugars! I managed OK and I'm glad baby has them! I'd say it took a good few days to come out of my system!

They think it's also the steroids that messed with baby's heart rate. But they were necessary and if I wasn't in hospital being monitored all the time we wouldn't have known! I still have barely any fluid, but baby is growing well and all blood flow is good. We have also found out we r having a boy! Makes it easier when you are in a ****** situation if you know the sex and can talk to him/her more freely!!

Got my 2nd trimester hba1c back and it was 39 again or 5.8%ish!! So chuffed at least something is right!! Haha! Now the fun begins in the 3rd trimester tho!!

How t things with you @Ellie_Wilko?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so pleased everything's going ok @Sarahkylie88
Keep strong. You're doing fantastically in the circumstances, and it's great to hear that baby is growing.
Best wishes and love XXX

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glad to hear things are stable and progressing @Sarahkylie88!

Must have been so scary hearing talks of a c section at 26 weeks so good your over that now.

All good over hear, almost 25 weeks and everything seems to be going text book so far. We have also found out we're having a little boy and as every week passes I'm getting less nervous and more excited!

My last hba1c was 5.7 and have another one in a couple of weeks. I'm expecting it to have gone up but we shall see - hopefully only a small increase if anything at all :)

Reactions: Juicyj

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sarahkylie88 I haven't posted before now, but I have been following your story and watching for updates. So glad to see that you and baby are both doing well! Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy and I hope everything stays a bit more settled for you and baby now x

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is all good news. So pleased. Hang on in there. Your both doing so great with your hba1cs. I have my 12 week scan tomorrow. I can't wait to see baby again. Had a non related eye issue. I basically have iritis and glaucoma which treatment can effect baby. I didn't know so came as a shock when I found out last week at gone 12 weeks. I've been so focused on the diabetics. Nothing is ever simple with me. So had to toy with possible damage to baby and my own eye sight. I just hope baby is still doing well. Xx

Sarahkylie88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a297246402cde3925cade46aad74de31.jpg

Well we got as far as we could. 27 weeks and baby was in distress, I was 'contracting' but they think it was down to irritation/infection rather than labour, but with each one baby's heart rate, which they were unhappy with anyway, was dropping.

He was born via emergency c section on Wednesday. Weighing 2lb 13oz (some of this was down to retained fluid)

He is on just about everything that can give but has been described as 'stable'

We have called him arlo

Xxxxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sarahkylie88 Arlo is a beautiful name. Sending you all much love and all my best wishes.

You did well to get to 27weeks in really difficult circumstances - really well. Arlo is a little fighter.

Thinking of you all xxxxx

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh sweetheart - what a little trooper!!

I've only recently rejoined the forum so I haven't completely caught up on your journey but it sounds as if you've both had a bit of a bouncy time...

... he's absolutely gorgeous - sending you both all good thoughts. Hope you're able to get some rest in amongst all that's going on. Hugs xxx

PS love his name too x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a297246402cde3925cade46aad74de31.jpg

Well we got as far as we could. 27 weeks and baby was in distress, I was 'contracting' but they think it was down to irritation/infection rather than labour, but with each one baby's heart rate, which they were unhappy with anyway, was dropping.

He was born via emergency c section on Wednesday. Weighing 2lb 13oz (some of this was down to retained fluid)

He is on just about everything that can give but has been described as 'stable'

We have called him arlo

Xxxxx

Congratulations on your delivery Sarah.

It certainly looks like they're taking good care of him and keeping an ultra close eye. I hope you're well and you can both get on with recovering from it all now.

Be good to yourself, as it seems like you've had a very bumpy ride.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Sarah,

Sounds like you've been on a roller coaster, so hope you're ok now. Congratulations on the arrival of Arlo, he looks a fighter, lots of love to you all :happy: