Still new - BGL 4-5.5 makes me feel unwell?

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So newly diagnosed T1. I've been mostly high the past few weeks since diagnosis and beginning insulin (partly because they don't want to push me into lows while adjusting dose). Started off around 12-25, have slowly worked my way down to 4 - 15, with a lot less occasions up above 12.
Have had a couple mild lows (2.5+), and the symptoms were very obvious to me. Now that I'm spending some of my days in the 4s and 5s, I'm finding that I feel a little bit unwell in a similar way.

Is this just because my body was so used to being high, that 'normal' feels low?

Perhaps I'm just super hungry for sugar?(Haven't stopped eating, have reduced carbs a lot)

It shouldn't be a calibration issue, as I tested along side the hospital meter (same blood/finger prick) while I was in there last week, and readings were always within +/- 0.3

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It could be feelings of false hypo? Does it feel similiar?

Or it could be you work better in higher 5s and low to medium 6s! I do.
I have very little energy in 4s. Although I seem to not add weight in that scope. Although as a type1 you may not need to watch your weight.
Try aiming for 6s and if 7s pop up not to bad in the scheme of things?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is this just because my body was so used to being high, that 'normal' feels low?
You hit the nail on the head Gavin. You've spent so long high that your body is protesting as you return to normal. Don't worry, it will abate, it just takes a little while to acclimatize.

Reactions: ickihun

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
So newly diagnosed T1. I've been mostly high the past few weeks since diagnosis and beginning insulin (partly because they don't want to push me into lows while adjusting dose). Started off around 12-25, have slowly worked my way down to 4 - 15, with a lot less occasions up above 12.
Have had a couple mild lows (2.5+), and the symptoms were very obvious to me. Now that I'm spending some of my days in the 4s and 5s, I'm finding that I feel a little bit unwell in a similar way.

Perhaps I'm just super hungry for sugar?(Haven't stopped eating, have reduced carbs a lot)

It shouldn't be a calibration issue, as I tested along side the hospital meter (same blood/finger prick) while I was in there last week, and readings were always within +/- 0.3
Due to your BGL's being high frequently, your body has become accustomed to this level. Falling below the level causes the body to react accordingly. Frequent hypo events tend to make you acclimatise to low blood sugar, and this in turn, puts in danger of not seeing a dangerous low sugar approaching. Be careful in this area.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that it's a good thing to acclimatise gradually. Things like retinal damage can occur if the correction is instant. Sounds to me like you're managing it really well, good luck for the future

Reactions: ickihun