STOPPING INSULIN

carlafayecruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys. i am carla from from philippines but working in UAE. I was diagnosed with diabetes type2 2months ago. I am 23yrs old. My father hAs Diabetes.

When I was diagnosed I have 356sugar (fasting). And the doctor advised me to take insulin and metformin at the same time 2x a day. And check 6x daily for my glucose.

And everything went normal. Ranging 70md/dL - 170mg/dL

Now, today. I have decided to stop taking insulin because I dont want to be dependent in INSULIN. I will just monitor my diet and everyday 1hr walking.

Do you think I have good decision?

PS: i don’t like to consult my doctor because I talked to him many times, but I guess he’s not good. Because without checking me he is lowering my units.. but my decision is I will try this thing stopping insulin for 1week and monitoring my sugar then I will consult other doctor...

One more question: As I have read the metformin side effects it is so horrible. Should I also stop it? Or just take it since I will stop insulin. My metformin is 1000mg

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@carlafayecruz Nobody here is going to advise you to stop taking drugs prescribed by a doctor, but we might ask, What are you doing instead to bring your sugar levels down and keep them down? Are you looking to change your diet, what plans do you have in this respect? Many Type 2 diabetics control or reverse their condition through dietary change (usually reducing sugar and carbohydrate intake), but this does not work for everyone.
Tell us a bit more,
Sally

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Why are you ignoring medical advice?
We cannot give medical advice.
If your not happy with your medical advice, get a second opinion. From a medic.

I would never advice someone to stop insulin.
People who hypo too many times have their insulin units reduced as they are taking too much. Or their type of insulin changed.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the comments already made re stopping medication and the need to discuss this with a medically trained person
23 also seems v young for a T2 diagnosis - were you tested for Type 1? If not that would be something important to discuss with the doctors

carlafayecruz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess, I should go to different doctor tomorrow and consult.

But, in my sugar. Now i just checked I am 113mg/dL before dinner. I took morning heavy breakfast like 3pcs white eggs/meat soup 3white breads, and sometimes a youghurt

Lunch time ; i take salmon, or beef or chicken but all grilled no oil and some veggies

Dinner time: tonight I took 2pcs cucumber, sour soup consist tomatoes, radish and little pork like half spoon of pork just to satisfy my cravings and half carrot..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are type two then increasing the meat and fat, reducing the carbohydrate is what to do to reduce your insulin requirement.
However, it seems a very rash decision to stop taking insulin when it could go disastrously wrong for you.
Please reconsider what you are doing - you cannot simply decide to stop taking insulin if it is needed.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given you have decided to stop insulin.
  • Monitor your BG carefully.
  • It will take up to one day for the insulin to get out of your system and hence remove the risk of hypos.
Then you could try something like a 3-day water only fast, to see if your BG comes down. This will give you a good ideal if you can control your BG with diet. Then there is 23hr intermittent fasting, very low carb, etc that can be used to keep your BG down.

But, it is possible you are type1, hence it is VERY important to monitor your BG and see your doctor to restart insulin if your BG keeps going up. It is also possible for someone with type1 to control with diet for a limited time, then their BG to go out of control, hence you must keep monitoring your BG long term.

If your BG is over 360 (and not coming down) you MUST get medical advice and be willing to restart the insulin, being over 180 for any length of time is not good for your health but may be acceptable if it removes the risk of hypos so allowing fasting.

Drinking a lot of water is very important, you may also need to take a little salt.

PS, I don't like the concept of you stopping insulin without medical support.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you guys. Im definitely going day after tomorrow. God bless all!
Let us know what your second opinion says. Please follow medical advice, always.
You must be in danger without insulin gor any medic to prescribe it.

Use insulin until you've reduced due to hypos. Reduced to none.????
Only safe way for me as a type2.
You must get your diagnosis of type2 confirmed as type1s can have periods of intermittent insulin production even thou type1.
Type1s should never stop insulin.