Stopping statins

Suffolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if I stop atorvastatin will blood glucose go down ,I have never had a reading above 6.6 but since having a heart attack ,dr put me on 80 mg atorvastatin daily,my bag now up & dr increased my metformin so feeling rubbish .

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Suffolk having 2strokes myself I don't think it would be advisable to stop taking your statins I'm on simvastatin and as far as I'm aware it doesn't make a bit of difference to my blood sugars as your sugars are good anyway your at more risk of having another heart attack shouldn't stop any medication only on doctors advice hope this helped look after yourself.ps if the metformin are playing you up and you feel rubbish go speak to your doctor again or dsn .

Reactions: Suffolk

Suffolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Suffolk having 2strokes myself I don't think it would be advisable to stop taking your statins I'm on simvastatin and as far as I'm aware it doesn't make a bit of difference to my blood sugars as your sugars are good anyway your at more risk of having another heart attack shouldn't stop any medication only on doctors advice hope this helped look after yourself.ps if the metformin are playing you up and you feel rubbish go speak to your doctor again or dsn .
Thankyou,I now have an elevated blood sugar of :
Last night 7.4
This morning 4.9
After breakfast 7.5
This has happened since taking statins ,I'm so annoyed as I don't tolerate metformin too well ,I was ok on 500mg once a day ,now they want me on another500mg at breakfast The dr & nurse just keep upping tablets ,they don't even offer an alternative to met
Off to papworth Monday so hope cardiologist can help x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On Monday at the diabetes education session the nurse was adamant that the increase in BG levels was entirely coincidental, not due to statins at all. Must be some sort of collective delusion, either on the part of the people seeing it on their meters or the statin worshipers of the NHS.
I can only suggest that you complain about it to everyone involved.
The combination of statin and Metformin I took for just over a month before Christmas has definitely affected my mental abilities, so I stopped taking them. Hopefully if anything happens it will kill me - I'd prefer to stop living than to exist as someone who used to be me.

Reactions: Suffolk and Prem51

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
if I stop atorvastatin will blood glucose go down ,I have never had a reading above 6.6 but since having a heart attack ,dr put me on 80 mg atorvastatin daily,my bag now up & dr increased my metformin so feeling rubbish .
Hi Suffolk. The evidence for the current widespread use of statins is unclear to say the least. However, there is one thing that I have never seen disputed - that statins are effective for people who have had a heart attack. If they are not making you ill, I think you should take your doctor's advice (on this, if not your diet).

Reactions: Suffolk