STOPTOVER, Smoke free October.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Good evening all, newly diagnosed Type2 (May 2014)

Smoked cigarettes since 14 years old, now 60.

Getting to grips with D, change of lifestyle, eating and drinking habits exercise etc, under control at the moment.

Decided it's time to stop the cigs, any advise appreciated, or indeed if anyone else is thinking of doing the same we
Could have a self support group?

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Getting to grips with D, change of lifestyle, eating and drinking habits exercise etc, under control at the moment.

Decided it's time to stop the cigs, any advise appreciated, or indeed if anyone else is thinking of doing the same we
Hi john. Diabetes is not easy but fags are very difficult. I have managed to stop both but I still crave fags after 12 years, It is possible but difficult.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have switched to e-cigs, much better than smoking the real thing but better if you can give up all together :) best of luck

Reactions: 6 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went along the e cigs route. They helped me kick the habit.
I used them for a couple of months until I felt I could manage on my own.
The first few weeks are the hardest to cope with,as all I could think about was having a cig morning, day and night.
Now after only 4 months I rarely give it a thought.
I was a smoker for over 30 years.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
If you have really decided to stop smoking, then STOP !,
Cold Turkey is the only way, all the other alternatives, E cigs, Gum, patches, just prove you actually don't want to stop, or you have not convinced yourself to stop.
Its tuff for a week or two, but in time you will benefit from the results, food (Low Carb !) will taste better etc.
I tried for years to give up, and it was only when I got my brain to accept that I was not going to ever touch a cigarette again, that I actually gave up.
I have a half a packet of Fags in my garage, that are about 22 years old, Kept them as I could have one if I wanted to, but it has not happened yet
Good Luck:happy:

Reactions: 8 people
G

graj0

You're all going to want to kick me because I was recently told of a very effective prescribed drug for giving up smoking . It doesn't suit everybody but does work very quickly and very well. Please bare with me while I try and remember the name of the stuff. I know three people who have mentioned it to me, but as a non smoker I didn't listen to all the detail, just that it works better than anything else they tried and I was genuinely pleased for them. Bare with me.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi,
Cold Turkey is the only way, all the other alternatives, E cigs, Gum, patches, just prove you actually don't want to stop, or you have not convinced yourself to stop.
Its tuff for a week or two, but in time you will benefit from the results, food (Low Carb !) will taste better etc.
I tried for years to give up, and it was only when I got my brain to accept that I was not going to ever touch a cigarette again, that I actually gave up.
I have a half a packet of Fags in my garage, that are about 22 years old, Kept them as I could have one if I wanted to, but it has not happened yet

although i totally agree, i wished it was that easy for me, ok your not saying its easy i know, but i tried cold turkey! addiction for me means all reason goes out of the window, maybe its will power or lack of it, but if i dont get my nicotene, my head loses control and the gut wrenching desperation takes over, where i would do a terminator to get to the baccy shop, i do have an addictive personality and have been addicted to many things in my life but nothing for me has a stronger pull than nicotene, it sucks

G

graj0

Aha, I think it's called Champix. You can buy it over the counter, but it's a bit on the expensive side. My friends had it prescribed, one was so successful that his wife who had said she definitely wasn't going to stop (silly, but it takes all sorts) decided to go down the same path and she has stopped as well. Anyway, good luck, I managed to stop over 30 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did along with giving up the booze and then the carbs and . . . . . . LOL The money I saved.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm in. Will quit on either October 2 or on the Monday after, depending on if I have to work the weekend or not.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Cold turkey is NOT the only way. It is simply ONE of the ways to give up. Not everyone has the mindset to do cold turkey. @rden66 states they have not smoked for 4 months after using an ecig. I have not smoked for two years after going down the ecig route, and I had also smoked for 28 years prior to that. I spent 6 weeks using the ecig before I gave that up as well, so using an ecig can help you quit smoking.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Aha, I think it's called Champix. You can buy it over the counter, but it's a bit on the expensive side. My friends had it prescribed, one was so successful that his wife who had said she definitely wasn't going to stop (silly, but it takes all sorts) decided to go down the same path and she has stopped as well. Anyway, good luck, I managed to stop over 30 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did along with giving up the booze and then the carbs and . . . . . . LOL The money I saved.
Thanks for info, I think I read somewhere the is a link between this drug and diabetes, don't think I will be risking that particular avenue at this stage.

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Happy to join you in your endeavour to give up. I have been smoking since I was 13 and am 59 so it is not easy. I have tried to give up on many occasions and have "been successful" several times in the past and have ended up going back on them when faced with a major crisis.
I have tried every type of NRT and the drug champix. The best help for me was the mouth spray as you get an immediate hit and relief. The nasal spray also provides this but i felt like I was a Pavlov dog in reverse - it felt more like I was being punished for my thoughts of wanting a cigarette.
Cold turkey in my opinion is the best method if you can cope with the first three days of withdrawal.
My method is to decide the day and keep to it. Clear all ash tarys etc the night before when you go to bed. Avoid contact with people for the first few days (in case you want to rip someones head off) and plan how you are going to keep yourself busy. I do a lot of walking and gardening during the day and crafting and games when indoors. Relaxation and deep breathing techniques are the way forward for me. I find deep breathing helps a good deal especially in the fresh air as you can regularly remind yourself of the good you are doing to your lungs.With me it is the psychological aspect I struggle with so with this attempt i am going to add to a vision of myself blind or as an amputee in the hope that it will stop overcome my mental desire to go back on to them once I have given up.
I have set the first of October as my next date to give up and intend for this to be my last.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,ve heard that chamix affects diebetics on meds and also affects people on meds for depression
i will ask the nurse for an inhaler thingy, i tried patches before but they didn,t work for me

G

graj0

i,ve heard that chamix affects diebetics on meds and also affects people on meds for depression
i will ask the nurse for an inhaler thingy, i tried patches before but they didn,t work for me
My friends were obviously fortunate as they only took them for a couple of months, I note on some of the stuff I read that people take them for a lot longer. One of their friends had to stop because of really bad dreams. Nothing is ever straight forward is it? Like a lot of things, which is worse? The thing you're trying to sort out or the rotten side effects.

A

AnnieC

Hi,
I have to agree with that it is the best way to do it. I went cold turkey 9 years ago after smoking 20 a day for over 40 years I decided one day to give up and I never smoked another cigarette I just chewed normal gum when I got a craving and kept myself busy so I did not think about it. After about 3 weeks the craving had gone and only thing I missed was the feel of a cigarette in my fingers If you use nicotine alternatives you are still giving your brain the signals that you want to smoke because all the time you use them you are still hooked on nicotine. Once the nicotine it is out of your system..which only takes a few days....the craving begins to go.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
that is the best way? lol arent we all different? :)

I have to agree with that it is the best way to do it. I went cold turkey 9 years ago after smoking 20 a day for over 40 years I decided one day to give up and I never smoked another cigarette I just chewed normal gum when I got a craving and kept myself busy so I did not think about it. After about 3 weeks the craving had gone and only thing I missed was the feel of a cigarette in my fingers If you use nicotine alternatives you are still giving your brain the signals that you want to smoke because all the time you use them you are still hooked on nicotine. Once the nicotine it is out of your system..which only takes a few days....the craving begins to go.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Could not agree more,

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
OK there a few is us hopefully this means we are the only smokers left on here?

Personally my commencement date will be 1st October.

Let's see how this goes, welcome aboard.