Stress and diabetes - how does it work

sugarmog

There seems to be a general consensus that stress can raise blood sugar levels, but does anyone know how this actually happens. Does the body create more glucose via the liver when we are stressed, or is it that our insulin response becomes less effective. I had a strange episode a while back where I found myself in a stressful situation and was unable to eat for about 8 hours during this time. When I tested my levels just after the situation had resolved itself I expected to see them elevated because of the stress. This however was not the case and I was at a very normal level. However, I then ate one small slice of bread, and two hours later got a reading of 8, which is a level I very rarely reach even after a full high carb meal. I've been under a lot of stress for the past couple of days, and although my fasting level was a respectable 4.9, and a random test about 5 hours after eating was 4.7, every time I've eaten my levels have gone unusually high (between 8 and 10). This seems to indicate that it is my insulin response that is being affected rather than my body releasing extra glucose.