Stress diabetes ???

dipsydo

I have been reading the forums with interest. Bit of a long story

In June 2015 I had a minor accident which resulted in me going to GP for a tetanus injection ( I had cut my head rather badly in the garden ). The nurse would not give it unless she was allowed to take a blood sample .. I did not want this but gave in because I needed the tetanus . I was then as contacted to say my HA1c was 84 . I was symptom-less and also at the same time I had been recently diagnosed (Nov 2014) as having late onset ulcerative colitis - which was not well controlled as I was unable to tolerate the tablets . I was of the view that sorting out the UC would make all the difference - nurse did not agree.I did nothing about my blood sugar as the UC was much more of a concern and I was unhappy how I had been forced to have a blood test and attitude of nurse.

I had to contact the GP in March 2016 for another reason. GP raised issue of diabetes I said I knew I needed to lose some weight but issue was that I needed my hip replaced ( I could barely walk ) and considered I needed to get the UC control to have the operation. Doctor said he would not put me forward for any operation as I was diabetic .. I said no symptoms and I thought it was down to UC . Saw the UC consultant in April and it was suggested Aloe Vera which actually worked . Bypassed GP and had hip op privately .. at pre op my blood was stick tested 4 and HA1c which was 51 .. which as I had not changed diet / lots weight/ taken not taken any exercise ( as could not walk) I believe represented part of period with UC under control and part when not ( 2 month UC under control 1 month not ) I was in hospital 3.5 days for the operation and healed very well so again does not indicate diabetes.

Saw GP as part of hip follow up and explained my position .. he still considers I am diabetic .. I do not . I consider this was "stress" diabetes caused by the UC, I think I am pre -diabetic and the stress of the UC pushed me into diabetes but now UC under control.

I know need to lose weight so I am on a low carb diet which is the only one which works for me so am finding the forum really useful..

To check that my belief is correct I have been testing my blood and get mostly 5/6 /7/ started off at 7 and now mostly 6 and 5 and not spiking very much but some mornings have Dawn phenomena .
9 is the highest I ever have been at 2 hours post meal was after a high carb meal which included a brownie ..

Some questions

On a number of threads I see comments about people having high BS after operations / steroids but cannot see anything about UC causing this impact.. anyone have experience of this?
Last night BS was 4.2 and I freezing cold had heating on all night and blankets but could not get warm until 3 am when I think DP pushed up my BS ,, it was 5.5 in morning can low carbs cause feeling cold ? Or is more likely to be unrelatedl?
Anyone got experience of how to get off the doctors diabetic list ? Can I just request it .. do not want to go and see them

jasmine1616

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hate people who think they know about T1D, but they really don't
Although I have not experienced your situation, I have had a low carb snack, but I have never had a cold feeling afterward, yet I have not paid much attention to how I feel after I eat a low carb snack. That is something I will pay attention to next time I eat and will let you know.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
an HbA1c of 51 isn´t that kind of diabetic... the problem of pre-diabetes is that it is just a fix-point and kind of a beginning diabetes in my view ...
well I know people hate to get the diagnosis but is it helpfull to want to refuse that ones blood glucose it somewhat raised compared to an ideal blood glucose...

some Experts actually claim that the point of where an HbA1c is considered fullblown diabetes is in their point of view actually set at a far too high average blood glucose

The following results indicate the presence of prediabetes:
  • Fasting plasma glucose: 6.0 mmol/L to 6.9 mmol/L
  • HbA1c: 42 to 47 mmol/mol (6.0 to 6.4%)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the feeling of being cold can be from hypothyridism, if your metabolism runs low and you have a lack of metabolic hormones then it is very common to feel cold, also if one is eating very little calories that can happen too..

but if you have problems with your thyroid gland that could indeed create a kind of false diabetes ...but then one needs to get sorted out for that disease at the GP before knowing that and maybe get some thyroid hormones to take on a daily basis

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have experienced feeling very cold (when it's not cold) but only when I have been fasting. Usually 22-23 hours since my previous meal.

If you don't like your doctor then you should find another one. If you like him normally but it's only the idea of having to see him after being diagnosed with diabetes that you don't like then perhaps you need to have a think about what the problem with the doctor really is because it makes no sense to ignore diabetes or hope that it will just go away.

If you don't need medication right now and want to manage it with diet like you have been then I'm sure your GO will support that, especially as you have been successful so far, but your GP is your conduit to other health professionals providing services such as retinal screening and having your feet checked for neuropathy which is really essential.

Reactions: Freema

Confucius

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Last night BS was 4.2 and I freezing cold had heating on all night and blankets but could not get warm until 3 am when I think DP pushed up my BS ,, it was 5.5 in morning can low carbs cause feeling cold ? Or is more likely to be unrelatedl?

Feeling cold is one of side-effects mentioned on Newcastle Diet page (http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/newcastle-study-600-calorie-diet.html). Is it possible that you ate too little that day? Do you feel cold that one night or each and every time? Being on low carb, you have to eat more fat and protein to make sure your daily calorie need is met.

dipsydo

Thanks for the advice .
I did not think about thyroid as it was not cold all the time but this was one off freezing but will raise it if I have more events .
The day I got so cold I had not had a lot of fat as I am hoping to lose weight and I had stalled a bit but will add add some fat .Thanks
My thought about the impact of UC is that once the UC was under control the HA1c fell 40% without a change of diet / exercise/ hence the stress that UC put on my body was causing high blood glucose. There does not seem to much literature so I hoping the forum might be able to help.

I did get a meter All my daily tests are in normal or pre diabetic range hence my thought about being pre-diabatic rather than diabetic . I know that the meter can only take points in the day but think they are indicative No point in getting HA1c test until 5/6 months after the operation as it could give a false result .

les74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My understanding of a diabetic diagnosis criteria is having two HbA1c readings at 48 mmol/mol or above. As previous commentators #Chook have said there are advantages in accessing other essential screening services by being on the list. What is the likelihood of a misdiagnosis? And why take the risk of ignoring the results?

Reactions: Freema

dipsydo

Thanks .
I wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue as I had that changing nothing apart from getting UC under control had a dramatic reduction in BS , Seems no one has had that experience.
I am not ignoring the possible diabetes issues but as my meter results indicate that my HbA1c could be between 31 (5%. / 5.4 mmol/L) to 42 (6% / 7 mmol/L ), I think that indicates that there is for me ( but not necessarily for anyone else ) a relationship between UC and high BS and controlling UC solves high BS.