Striving to defy the odds

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @brighty14, I have enjoyed regarding your progress, like a Rocky film. I am further inspired and although a comeback in the sport I did well in is not on the cards, you have helped with the psychology, thanks and well done.

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mbaker glad it's inspired you and thank you for the well wishes.

Looking to making an even bigger impact in 2017 and diabetes will give me that extra motivation when I find it tough! I appreciate what I've done already but I keep pushing for that next milestone!

Hope you have a great 2017 !

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For anyone interested I've also put the video on my YouTube channel. I've also created an extended version. Links below.

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last video for a while I promise!!!!!!Pulled together some tricks and skills I've learnt over the years onto a video. Let me know what you think.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi everyone I am new to the forum but just wanted to share my experience briefly with sport and diabetes.

I've had diabetes for 17 years and have always wanted to prove that diabetes isn't a barrier to what I could achieve. (As I'm sure we all do!)

I've played football for as long as I can remember and probably got to as high as I could without making it professionally. Ive played at a county level and semi professionally but I think diabetes always found a way of scuppering me at those big moments where I had trials for the big pro teams. I remember with all the emotions of trials that I actually caused my levels to shoot through the roof and I felt like I was treading water while I was out there!

I never gave up playing the game once the dream of being a pro diminished and in the end found a game called futsal (indoor football essentially! )
After all the years of learning how football affected my diabetes I'd found the transition more difficult to this "new style" of football. It suited how I played the game more but it was more difficult to manage due to the intensity of the game being very different. Levels were far higher! Shorter and sharper. It changed the way I had to manage my diabetes but after a year of learning through trial and error I managed to get my levels to a place each week which allowed me to play to the best of my ability.

2 years later and at 26 years old I received a call up to the Wales futsal squad to play Latvia.

I'm now preparing to compete at the highest level in my sport and on a level I dreamt of getting to.

My message is simple..... I'm no superhero or fluke. I just worked hard and stayed positive. I ensured that diabetes was just a small hurdle and not a mountain to climb.

Always stay positive and believe..... learn from your mistakes, try things out and stick to the things that work for you.

I used my Diabetes to drive me harder to achieve....

I defied the odds we have against us as type 1 diabetics. We can all do it!

Hope it was a useful read.

Chris

9cab23f1e0688145e66d1e653faf6e69.jpg
So very pleased for you well done

Reactions: Bon83

gowlanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being judged
You're an inspiration. I love your Attitude . Well done x

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is brill and inspiring story thank you :)

Joffy6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow Chris I've read your whole blog. Lovely motivation to us all. I play squash and golf. Two conflicting insulin requirements and am continually advised to give up squash as "it's too strenuous for you". I love the game so hang in with my yoyo experiences. No on this NEW Ryzodeg insulin. Initially good but still battling. I've joined the Forum hoping to find others on Ryzodeg to share info with. Holding thumbs I can post experiences similar to yours.
Well done and thx.
Joffy.