Struggling at the gym

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have discovered that my bg goes REALLY high when I go to the gym but I think I know what's going on. Because I'm nervous of going low I'm reducing basal and bolus insulin, but then doing weights which is more anaerobic. The bg does drop quite quickly about 6-8 hours later.

So........... should I still reduce basal? Should I then decrease evening bolus?

Ugh, its flipping annoying cos I'm due a HbA1c this week and I've had bg in the 20s!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @donnac1968 - it's good to see that you're aware that anaerobic can increase glucose levels. The question I'd ask is how much you are lowering your bolus and basal insulins before doing weights at the gym? It might be better to adjust the amount, and then plan to have a lower basal rate overnight afterwards.

I have rarely had to reduce basal or bolus insulin being taken when doing weights, but (learned the hard way) always have to have less insulin overnight afterwards to avoid Hypos. Of course any changes you choose to make should be backed up with lots of testing.