Struggling on keto

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So I've been doing keto for about 3 months now. I have cheated once every few weeks but now my pizza cravings have come back in full force. I'm really trying to hold out from getting one but I really don't want to cook. I had one last week aswell. Can I get away with having a pizza every week? I know it won't be keto if I do but can I at least lower my blood sugar if I was to have one carb day a week?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know you say you don’t want to cook but the Fathead Pizza really does hit the spot:
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
Every time you say you’re planning to cheat, I just think you can’t cheat your body. I don’t know how much a weekly deviation from a low carb or keto diet will hurt, but personally I don’t want to risk it! Sorry but that’s just how I feel :oops:

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I get away with having a pizza every week?

In my opinion, the literal answer is yes, if that is all you do, it is extremely unlikely that one pizza a week will make a difference. I cheat from time to time by drinking good beer, which is basically liquid carbs.

Eating carbs can create cravings for more carbs. That is the main issue. Also, it's a personality thing. Some people are very good at doing things "in moderation" and others not....

Good luck!

Edited to add: I forgot you said, "keto." Are you sure you are indeed keto (a very extreme diet)? If so, then, yes, a single pizza could conceivably kick you out of the ketogenic state. But in my opinion, a lot of people who say they are doing "keto" aren't testing to see if they are really keto, and are probably eating somewhat too many carbs for ketosis

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are looking to reduce carbs in order to gain better control of your sugars and your meter tells you that you are achieving that, then there is no problem
If you aim is to put and maintain your body in astate of ketosis , then yes the pizza is a problem as it is likely to throw you out of ketosis and it will take you at least a day or two to get back into it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need to be doing the keto diet, which is defined as very low carb?
I am fully diabetic and can eat up to 50 gm of carb a day and still be under 7mmol/l after dinner.
BUT - if I ate bread to the amount of one pizza worth once a week then I'd be seeing days with BG levels in double figures and probably get into ketosis a few hours before eating the next one.
It isn't difficult to make a low carb alternative - if you absolutely have to have one - I have tasted pizza and wondered what the fuss was about - I have never thought of buying one.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you need to be doing the keto diet, which is defined as very low carb?
I am fully diabetic and can eat up to 50 gm of carb a day and still be under 7mmol/l after dinner.
BUT - if I ate bread to the amount of one pizza worth once a week then I'd be seeing days with BG levels in double figures and probably get into ketosis a few hours before eating the next one.
It isn't difficult to make a low carb alternative - if you absolutely have to have one - I have tasted pizza and wondered what the fuss was about - I have never thought of buying one.

If I'm cutting down on carbs I just find it a lot easier to completely rule them out. It happens by accident most of the time. As I'm not having bread or pasta etc. I haven't been completely strict with myself though and have slipped more than a few times.

Reactions: Grateful

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm cutting down on carbs I just find it a lot easier to completely rule them out. It happens by accident most of the time. As I'm not having bread or pasta etc. I haven't been completely strict with myself though and have slipped more than a few times.

So now is the time to pull up your socks, huh? I note that you have pre-diabetes so it's possible you can follow a "moderate carb" approach and still keep your numbers under control. But -- I hear you! -- sometimes it is just hard to do things "in moderation." (I know I find it hard!)

Edited to add: I wish I knew how to eat a pizza "by accident"!:D:D:D:D

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - so you eat no carbs except for the times you eat pizza?
Hmmmm.
Some one is kidding here - about the keto - we COULD come around to your house and fill the fridge with salad you know - be warned. You might like to consider some low carb options before its too late.

Lawrencepa

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So now is the time to pull up your socks, huh? I note that you have pre-diabetes so it's possible you can follow a "moderate carb" approach and still keep your numbers under control. But -- I hear you! -- sometimes it is just hard to do things "in moderation." (I know I find it hard!)

Edited to add: I wish I knew how to eat a pizza "by accident"!:D:D:D:D

But are you sticking with your original statement? I just think I'm addicted to pizza lol as silly as it sounds. Aslong as I'm good the rest of the week will it help with blood sugars?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aslong as I'm good the rest of the week will it help with blood sugars?

I think you know the answer that eating a pizza probably won't "help" with blood sugars. It's surely more a question of the amount of harm it may do? and if you are willing to take that risk.
If you really are desperate for it then try it and measure hourly up until you go to bed. Then you'll see how high your bloods go.. just remember that because of the fat content the spike may not be so great but may last a lot longer. You'll then know what a pizza does to you and can make an informed decision about it. Personally I'd do what I suggested and just eat the toppings dumping the base...

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with BB except where it comes to eating anything to do with a pizza - I find them quite revolting

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We're having pizza for lunch at work in a few weeks. I told them I can't join in but will have a salad, to which one woman replied "one piece won't hurt you" but I know it won't be just one piece!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But are you sticking with your original statement? I just think I'm addicted to pizza lol as silly as it sounds. Aslong as I'm good the rest of the week will it help with blood sugars?

I must have phrased it badly. Let me try to clear up my confusing statements:
  • Assuming that you are not actually in ketosis, having a single slice of pizza per week cannot undo the good work you have been doing. In my opinion.
  • The trick is to keep such "excursions" relatively rare. Being "only" pre-diabetic, you may have rather more leeway than a confirmed diabetic such as myself and others who have been posting in this thread.
  • If you are actually in ketosis (very unlikely, unless you have been checking) then, yes, eating a slice of pizza could kick you out of ketosis. Getting back into ketosis could then take a bit of time, depending on each individual.
  • As far as I am concerned it is mainly a personality thing. Because you have some leeway, you may be able to adopt a "moderate" or "low-to-moderate" low-carb lifestyle and keep good numbers. I, for one, would find that very hard to do. "Moderation" isn't really my thing. But other people are brilliant at it.
I hope this helps. I have been trying to put myself in your shoes. I love pizza, too, but (real-pie-crust) pizza is now firmly in my past. Or you could just do what @bulkbiker suggests and only eat the topping. I have done precisely that when invited to people's homes for various crust-based goodies -- causing incredulity but so far, no one has actually punched me in the face for it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too would just eat the toppings. Are yo making your own? There’s a crust recipe made with mozzarella and some herbs. Maybe an egg? Not sure.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
Or alternatively you could just eat the toppings and chuck the base away...
I did that (ate pizza toppings & chucked base) when my children wanted pizza

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
We're having pizza for lunch at work in a few weeks. I told them I can't join in but will have a salad, to which one woman replied "one piece won't hurt you" but I know it won't be just one piece!
I agree--it's far easier to abstain altogether...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it is avoiding cooking and wanting a takeaway meal, then most Indies or kebab shops have grilled food with few carbs in it on offer.